Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Overview of Hacking an S3

Oops, damn iPad posted before I was finished. Anyway, I too was/am looking mostly to extract shows the dtupid cable card blocks and if possible rescue others that have already recorded and hopefully use tivowebplus delete as mentioned before. I am using an active TiVo disk so I should replace the 5 lines revered to in the script with the two lines mentioned?

Also, in the beginning of he script (don't have it in front of me) do I need to modify the part with the sd? to the TiVo drive/ ( in my case sdb) or does it automatically do it if I didn't have the errors.

For when I do get to run this, afterwards can I just telnet into the TiVo to change things like encryption or other settings or do I have to pull the drive each time. Logically I would think after removing checks I could write almost anything to most of the disk via telnet and FTP but dont know that for sure at this juncture.

Thanks in advance soap and anyone else who chimes in, you help and experience is greatly appreciated and in ask about things so I can understand better how it all works, for now and the future.

Btw the way, deprecated is my favorite and most hated Linux word, for obvious reasons.

Okay, been on travel but having a chance to read thru this again a bit more and wondering if anyone could answer a few of my outstanding questions so when I get back I hopefully can pull the drive and be ready to go. Could you please throw a bit of knowledge my way and help me understand a few things. Scroll back a few posts and you can see about three or four hanging questions, about dos2 Unix, Linux line numbers and such. Also, what if when I try and modify the files via 775, I get the you cant modify because you don't own the file/directory or whatever.

Additionally, I have been thinking about something. Since I can connect an esata drive to the tivo (have had one for two years) can I chain a few to the tivo and have that work, and/or for future use, can I put all my hacks on the second drive so I don't have to pull the internal drive in the future but just unplug the external, update the hacks and go again?

Also is there a hack that will let me add a bigger external drive without major losses of my tivo files? I am guessing not but thinking someone might have written such a thing so you can take say a 500mb paired external drive, copy all the files to a new say external 2tb drive and have it work? I understand why you lose everything if you removed the paired drive but it seems the tick might be able to add a bigger drive and keep the in place paired recordings.

Can I plug any esata in the port on the future or only the western digital style made for tivos. Sorry, again typing on an ipad so hard to type and such.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    I have been at this literally for 8 hours. I am not so good at linux but stupid things are tripping me up.

I tried to use the script essentially as is on a booted ubuntu 11 machine. my tivo drive is sdb
    it doesn't show any partitions as other have and it errors out right away a couple of different ways.

jon@server:~/hack$ ls -l /dev/sdb
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 2011-11-15 19:50 /dev/sdb
    You are sure this is the TiVo disk right? (Just checking.)

I put all the files in hack directory but had a million problems with it not letting me run all the files because of errors and such and needing to modify the files for access for everyone. Being only so so at linux, I tried to change permissions but it seems almost impossible to change them on the root (/hack) folder so that I can actually run the files.
    All the scripts and binaries should be world executable. I usually specify 755 for scripts and 555 for binaries.

chmod 755 <filename>

You may need to employ sudo under Ubuntu to use the chmod command on files owned by root - I'm not sure. The chown comamnd will change the owner of a file and chgrp will change the group. These also may require sudo.

I never got it right in /hack so I moved it to /home/jon/hack and tried to adjust the script to get it to run then.
    As long as the paths are adjusted properly, this should be no problem. OTOH, there shouldn't be any problem using /hack, or any other directory, either.

jon@server:~/hack$ sudo bash hack_tivo (is this the right command?)
    No. It should be

./hack_tivo

If you are in the directory containing the script, or

/home/jon/hack/hack_tivo

from anywhere on the machine.

hack_tivo: line 2: $'\r': command not found
    hack_tivo: line 3: $'\r': command not found
    hack_tivo: line 4: $'echo\r': command not found
    This looks like you either transfered the script via ftp in ASCII mode or else used a DOS mode editor to modify the file.

hack_tivo: line 6: home/jon/hack/bootpage: No such file or directory
    This is not an absolute path. It is unwise to use this in a script. It's failing either because you are not in /, because bootpage is not in the directory, or because bootpage does not have exscutable permissions. Try

/home/jon/hack/bootpage

(assuming bootpage is in /home/jon/hack ) or just fix your system to use /hack and don't modify the script.

hack_tivo: line 18: syntax error near unexpected token `$'in\r''
    'ack_tivo: line 18: `case $tivo_type in
    More unexpected / incorrect line terminations. DOS / Windows uses <CR><LF>. Linux uses <LF>. Don't use a DOS mode editor and don't use ASCII mode to transfer the file. Cut-and-paste into vi / vim from a web browser in Ubuntu should work fine.

trying to run the original script in the hack directory I get

jon@server:~/hack$ sudo bash hack_tivo
    hack_tivo: line 2: $'\r': command not found
    hack_tivo: line 3: $'\r': command not found
    hack_tivo: line 4: $'echo\r': command not found
    hack_tivo: line 6: home/jon/hack/bootpage: No such file or directory
    That's not the original script.

I then changed the part to the actual drive I know is the tivo sdb in the statement

#!/bin/bash

tvalid=1
    # Scan for TiVo partitions
    for dspec in /dev/sdb;
    do
    # Check the target is a hard drive then Attempt to load the drive partitions
    # Change the "disk" string if Linux thinks the drive is not a hard drive
    ls -l $dspec | grep -q disk
    if [ $? -eq 0 ];

but that still errors.
    Errors how? If you are sure of the drive spec, you can skip the drive search / validation section altogether.

So next I tried forgetting all that and stripping the script minus the first part and starting with....

echo
    # Get the active root partition using bootpage (assumes root=/dev/hdaX is the first parameter).
    root=$( /hack/bootpage -p $dspec | cut -d" " -f1 )
    echo $root | grep -q "root=/dev/hd"
    if [ $? -ne 0 ];

But that errors out too.
    Errors how? Bootpage is a binary, so there's nothing to modify internally. If it was transferred in ASCII mode, then it is going to be massively corrupted. If it doesn't have permissions, then it won't run. If it's in the wrong place, the computer won't know how to find it so it can be run.

Also for anyone wondering my hack directory looks like this: jon@server:/hack$ ls
    bootpage bootpage.tar hack_tivoapprunning null-linuxrc.img.gz
    bootpage2 hack.fil hack_tivo.sh replace_initrd.x86.tar.gz
    bootpage.c hack_tivo~ hack_tivo.sh~ tivohacks64.tar
    bootpage.h hack_tivoapp Makefile tivopart
    Try ls -l. That will tell us if the permissions are correct.

BTW this is for a Tivo HD that has had nothing done to it but the prom hack. Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for my stupidity. I have read this thread and others many times leading up to this and tried about a hundred things today still to no joy yet. Also ubuntu is fresh install on quad core xp computer.
    Debian might be a better choice for this, but Ubuntu should work.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 11-25-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Thanks, I used sudo which I thought / think is similar and su sometimes.
    Well, not so much, really. Su stands for "switch user". It changes the terminal session from one user identity to another. Without any arguments, the target UID defaults to root. Once switched to being the new user, the terminal has all the permisssions of that user. Sudo means "do the following command as another user". It's used to allow the user in the terminal to execute a single command as if he were the target user.

What makes no sense is the errors. Line two in the script has nothing on it? Assuming that it is dos style line in which every line is numbered including comments and the errors make no sense to me either. The errors with $/r are not even in the script so it is all screwy.
    That's because the line terminations are incorrect. This is either because you used a DOS mode editor (did you edit the scripts on a Windows machine?) or else transferred them via ftp set to ASCII transfer mode.

I only used ubuntu because someone else had success as it tends tone not so helpful to me.
    The only problem with Ubuntu for this application is its brain dead handling of root access.

Sadly, I can do dos well and used to be able to do unix but linux is different than unix in how it assigns lots of things and commands that make no sense to me because in one distribution you do it one way and another it is different which is why I have pulled my hair out in the past.
    The various flavors of Unix are as different in detail as the various favors of Linux.

I am guessing it's a permission problem at it's base but the GUI permission changer won't let me modify the root hack folder
    I think your biggest problem is the corrupt files. Get that fixed first and you can worry about permissions later.

(somEthing I think the hd should have had years ago anyway) as my TiVo always fills up when gone that long.
    Your TiVo should always be full. Otherwise you are just wasting its capabilities. If you have your recording priorities set correctly on the TiVo, you also don't have to delete anything. The TiVo will do it for you.

Thanks soap, unfortunately I don't think I will be able to get back to it for about 15 days now
    'Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. I was in the hospital.

In the part of this thread where the script starts, I read and re-read the instructions, but most of the people here have been hacking tivos for years so you know what all the tools are. I can tell you, even after reading hundreds of threads, a TiVo newbie doesn't and it isn't spelled out anywhere, lots of things like hey, here is the new init.imagers.linuxsomething that will be so much better than boot2x4fred.
    All of the necessary tools for a basic hack are linked in the post pointed to by my signature.

Hours later you still might not know what the current best version is because the threads go round and round, and in some people ask similar questions that I have and others say nasty stuff to them about their Linux knowledge or not understand and if you don't understand, don't hack your TiVo or whatever.
    I don't recall seeing any such responses. It's true one needs a basic understanding of and slight familiarity with Linux, but not anything that can't be discovered easily on Google.

Back to the script, which I have read every line at least a hundred times but again, if new you don't know all the commands or what does what.
    If you don't know, ask, or better yet, use the man page (if it is a Linux command) and Google. Better still, play with it a bit to see what it does. If you still can't figure it out, then come back and ask again.

One the post 39 page he says to take all the tools and put them in the hack root directory which I did(kinda) the reason there are extra is because I don't know what boot page ine the zip is the executable portion hence what do I need to include and what not
    Once again, ask. Note anything extra doesn't hurt anything. It just clutters up the screen.

Here are the necessary contents (only one of the tivohacks files is necessary if you only have one type of TiVo):

Code:
    RAID-Server:/hack# ll
    total 37912
    drwxr-xr-x  8 root            root        4096 Nov 12 11:52 .
    drwxrwxrwx  7 root            root       4096 Jul 27 20:02 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  3 root            root         133 Jul 20  2008 Archives
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root            root      415344 May  6  2008 bootpage
    -rw-r--r--  1 root            root         199 Oct 23  2010 hacks.fil
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root            root        2019 Oct 23  2010 hack_tivo
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root            root        1600 Oct 24  2010 hack_tivoapp
    -rw-rw-r--  1             500     501      432 Feb  2  2007 null-linuxrc.img.gz
    -r-xr-xr-x  1             500     501     6573 Feb  2  2007 replace_initrd.x86
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root            root          67 Oct 24  2010 Saved_Apps
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root            root        4096 Oct 23  2010 Saved_Kernels
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root            root    32275728 Dec  8  2010 tivoapp
    -rw-r--r--  1 root            root     2769693 Oct  3 18:01 tivohacks32.tar.gz
    -rw-r--r--  1 root            root     2820678 Oct  3 17:58 tivohacks64.tar.gz
    -r-xr-xr-x  1 root            root      472032 Jul 20  2008 tivopart
    Last edited by lrhorer; 11-23-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Anyway, I feel the guys frustration in the other post which i read all of. He wants to do the same thing I do which is just pull off the damn cable card blocked files.
    The CableCard has nothing to do with the CCI byte.

I seem to remember somewhere earlier in the This thread that he said you could use (he being lrhorer) the tar form so I unzipped some files that far, but I guess I needed to go even further
    No, actually what I said is the compressed form can be used directly now. (At least that is what I meant to say.) One no longer needs to gunzip the file. It still needs to be a tarball - more or less. One can dispense with the tarball altogether and transfer everything manually if one wishes.

Edit: I went back and checked, and I said the compressed form can be used.

I must have misunderstood what could be in tar and what couldn't.
    Anything you want to wind up on the TiVo can be in the tarball. Simply re-create the TiVo's directory structure on your Linux system (this can be easily done for the most part by going to an empty directory and un-tarring the tarball), add in any files you want to wherever you want and tar the entire structure back up.

Why the dos2unix? Is it because it was edited in dos or something?
    Yes.

I edited it in gedit also
    Bad idea, if it was a Windows port. If it was under Linux, OK.

but originally cut and pasted the script in notepad.
    Exceptionally horrible idea. No one should ever use notepad under any circumstances whatsoever. I suggest you delete that piece of garbage. Whoever wrote it should be flayed alive.

Instead, fire up a browser (Epiphany, IceWeasel, Konqueror, whatever) on the Ubuntu system (or Debian if you re-load the OS). In a separate terminal session, type the following (add sudo where needed if it is Ubuntu):

Code:
    apt-get install vim
    cd /hack
    touch hack_tivo
    chmod 755 hack_tivo
    vim hack_tivo
    This will bring up a blank file for editing. Press <Insert> and the editor will enter into insert mode. (It should say Insert at the bottom of the screen.) Now go back to the browser session and bring up post #39 listed in my signature. Click and drag the left mouse button to highlight all the text in the first code window. Move the mouse back to the terminal window running vim and do a single left click to bring the window to the foreground. (The text in the browser should still be highlighted.) Click the middle mouse button once and the text should all be copied into vim. Press the <Esc> key to exit Insert mode. Then type

Code:
    :wq!
    To save the file and exit vim. Type

Code:
    cat hack_tivo | more
    To make sure everything is in the file. (The space bar advances one page, the <Enter> key advances one line.) Then do the same procedure with hack_tivoapp (excluding the apt-get and cd comands). Then do the same with hacks.fil, except hacks.fil does not need to be executable.

Essentially I downloaded all the files, extracted them and cut and pasted the script in windows, put them on a thumb drive and hooked that into my ubuntu boot.
    I'm not sure why you did that. There's no point at all in touching any of this with Windows.

One other question about line numbers. What is up with line two error which is blank in my version of the script, or is it different in Linux?
    There is no such thing as a blank line in Linux or Windows, or any computer system for that matter. Truly blank strings are only possible with a fixed string width. Any variable length string (or record of any sort, for that matter) must have a termination. DOS (and thus Windows) uses a Carriage Return and a Newline to terminate its lines. Linux uses only a Newline. Since the script has incorrect characters in it, it generates errors. Some commands don't work as expected or not at all.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 11-23-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Anyway, I too was/am looking mostly to extract shows the dtupid cable card blocks and if possible rescue others that have already recorded and hopefully use tivowebplus delete as mentioned before. I am using an active TiVo disk so I should replace the 5 lines revered to in the script with the two lines mentioned?
    No, you aren't hacking on a TiVo. You are hacking on an external PC.

Also, in the beginning of he script (don't have it in front of me) do I need to modify the part with the sd? to the TiVo drive/ ( in my case sdb) or does it automatically do it if I didn't have the errors.
    No, that section searches for a valid TiVo drive on the system, and tells the rest of the script where it is. One can eliminate the automatic search and ID with code specifically targeting the drive known to be a TiVo drive, but ordinarily I would expect the user would want the script to take care of it.

For when I do get to run this, afterwards can I just telnet into the TiVo to change things like encryption or other settings or do I have to pull the drive each time. Logically I would think after removing checks I could write almost anything to most of the disk via telnet and FTP but dont know that for sure at this juncture.
    Once the kernel has been hacked and telnet and FTP are working, the user can make any changes he wants on the running TiVo. These scripts do a bit more that that while the drive is sitting in the external PC for convenience sake.

Also, what if when I try and modify the files via 775, I get the you cant modify because you don't own the file/directory or whatever.
    It's hard to say exactly what you might have done. The root user (superuser) cannot be denied any capability via permissions. I don't believe recent Ubuntu versions will allow a root login, though, or even a su to root.

Since I can connect an esata drive to the tivo (have had one for two years) can I chain a few to the tivo and have that work
    "Chain a few"? I have no idea what that means.

and/or for future use, can I put all my hacks on the second drive
    No.

so I don't have to pull the internal drive in the future but just unplug the external, update the hacks and go again?
    I seem to recall you saying you have a THD. On a THD it is trivial to swap the two SATA cables inside the case, so that the internal drive (if any) is the secondary, and the external drive is the primary. That's the way I have mine set up.

Also is there a hack that will let me add a bigger external drive without major losses of my tivo files?
    Bigger than what? Adding a large secondary drive does not require any hack, but I don't recommend using a secondary drive. Upgrade your primary drive, instead. Mount it externally, if you like.

I am guessing not but thinking someone might have written such a thing so you can take say a 500mb paired external drive, copy all the files to a new say external 2tb drive and have it work?
    No, I don't think so. It's possible jmfs will handle this, but I think not. In any case, I recommend you move all your important programs off the TiVo, divorce the secondary, and then upgrade the primary.

Can I plug any esata in the port on the future or only the western digital style made for tivos. Sorry, again typing on an ipad so hard to type and such.
    WinMFS and jmfs will work with most drives. Only the WD drives are "plug-n-play".
    Last edited by lrhorer; 11-23-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Thanks for all the info, I will clarify a few things briefly as again on an iPad. Basically, not knowing that there was a problem with transferring the script or editing in windows, that is what I did and copied all the files to a thumbdriveso that could put them back on the ubuntu partition whenit was setup. I have not much good to say about ubuntu as it seems every time I use it, the GUI part is completely different and basically stuff changes that really shouldn't or whatever so anyway, I cut and pasted the script, copied and extracted the files (they were done in binary, it is seeming more and more like this is all a problem with the Linux vs windows type of eol character or whatever. I actually already installed vim and a couple other things before I left in prep for editing the script on the Linux box. I think the whole permissions lockout is new on ubuntu 11 because a year ago, I had no problem creating the root directory folders and editing and such but now it was giving me the user issues and all that. I also played around quite a bit with back track a year or two ago, which is ubuntu based but had none of the problems I had with the latest version, probably because of the security changes.

On the blank line issue, it seems that the script was dying at line 2 which was blank but had the carriage return or whatever which was throwing the error on what to me appeared to be a blank line which is why I was getting frustrated. I know it is not truly blank just as there really is no space in between the letters I am typing here, but it appeared to be a blank line so I was trying to convey what I was dealing with. I have a pretty good feeling that if I can get the files just thru an ubuntu browser session and do the whole thing in Linux, I probably won't have a problem going forward assuming I can override the permissions issue. I know I tried changingthe folder and file permission using sudo, but it would not work, and dont remember the specific error messages at this point, but I think that is where I was getting the you don't own this folder so you can't change it style of error, which basically I think is because I might ave createdthe folder in the GUI file manager (I guess as user Jon) but couldn't edit it using terminal becauseit thought I was someone else. I did try sudo nautilus to correct but had problems there too. A big part of the problem is probably related to that not being able to login as root and such in the ubuntu version, which when hacking my iPad, android or anything else let me not have all these problems.

So in my redundant analysis, which I will confirm when back from vacation, the script transfer in win doze combined with the security issues (locked root folder permissions and such) llikely is the big problem. I do have lots more to add so that anyone who follows in my footsteps can learn from this once I get it working, but that will have to be when I have access to a real keyboard so I can properly quote and type.

Thanks again for all the help, one further question or questions. Where should I look to find the possible hacks that I can set once I get this on the TiVo? I can interpolated a few of them from some of the threads I have read, but would like to know the best thread or threads to study so that I can have them all ready to load when I get back home. My priority being the CCI byte check (so I can use kmttg or other method to transfer protected programming and the delete possibility which I guess might just evpart ofthe tivoweplus already in the script materials. Buti would like to know more, especially if there is one similar to the show guard hack for replaytv, which allows you to extend recording that are not followed by another recording using the same tuner by a set period so that you don't get the end cut off, such as any show that doesn't have another show come after it is extended by 3 minutes or whatever you set it as.

Also, to clear up something. Earlier on it says again this s from memoryand how I interpreted it and cannot go back and forth in the thread in the iPad, but I thought since I was performing the script on a "live" TiVo, I needed to change the lines, my interpretation of live was a working TiVo disk with content vs. A brand new hard drive with no saved data. That is because in replaytv land, that is how they are referred too. A replaytv with a blank HDD other than the boot image necessary for replay systems to work vs a drive that was working and has recordings and settings on it is considered a "live" disk as modification there used to only be possible thru the hard drive pull. Which is why I thought I needed to switch live for my system even though that was incorrect in TiVo land.

Thanks for your help, this is helping me greatly feel better about returning.

One other thought, when Iulled up the script originated in notepad and opened in gedit, it dd not show the truths, which it seems it should since that appears to be what it is chocking on. It essentially looked the same as in notepad, except for the colors on some ofthe operators are diffent and such. I think if it had shown them, I would have figured out the issue sooner. Thoughts?

Btw lrhorer, I started typing the post above in response to your previous posts thru 113 and it took so long to type you got post 114 in before my post was finished (I did not see it, but you are correct about the root login) it seems in the prior version of unbuntu it allowed root login so I was able to override all the nonsense I couldn't this time, which was part of the frustration. It might have been because back track allows root login over ubuntu, maybe ubuntu hasn't allowed root login for a long time, but this is the first i have run into it and it does nothing but make life more difficult that I can see.

I cut and pasted the script, copied and extracted the files (they were done in binary, it is seeming more and more like this is all a problem with the Linux vs windows type of eol character or whatever.
    No. Binaries don't have lines, at all. Any EOL characters are simply the value 0x0A or 0x0D employed as some piece of the code. (Well, the code can and usually does contain human readable strings that may be terminated with EOL characters.)

I know it is not truly blank just as there really is no space in between the letters I am typing here
    Well, yeah, there is. Each single space is an ASCII character 0x20, while tabs are 0x08.

I have a pretty good feeling that if I can get the files just thru an ubuntu browser session and do the whole thing in Linux, I probably won't have a problem going forward assuming I can override the permissions issue.
    It's anything but insurmountable, but it may be quicker and easier to start from scratch and load Debian. It's up to you. A network installation of Debian takes about 45 minutes with a good broadband connection.

Thanks again for all the help, one further question or questions. Where should I look to find the possible hacks that I can set once I get this on the TiVo?
    I'm afraid generally speaking they are scattered all over the forum. There are two basic categories of hack. One is extra code that gets loaded onto the TiVo in order to implement some heretofore unavailable function or application. Examples of this are tserver (for TyTool), TiVoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, tivoftpd, busybox, and ciphercheck. As it happens, all of these are included in the sample tarballs. (Note TiVoWebPlus is not configured in the tarballs. If you keep it, you will need to configure it on the TiVo to use some port other than 80, or it will interfere with TTG.) There are lots of other hacks of this type out there ,many of which I probably am unaware, myself. I'm afraid you will just have to search for yourself to find which ones you might like to try. The good news is these hacks are generally very easy to install on a running TiVo via ftp.

The other category of hack is a modification of a file that already exists on the TiVo. Other than simple modifications of rc.sysinit.author (which usually accompanies an ftp installed hack), these are virtually all changes to tivoapp in order to modify or disable some current behavior on the TiVo. These are the hacks such as nocso, CCI Byte, noMEK, nopauseads, 30 second skip, etc. These are more like one stop shopping, because they all involve changes to specific locations in the tivoapp code, and we have come up with a couple of methods to apply all these hacks from a single small data file. In the case of my method, the file is hacks.fil. Look at post #39 and you will see the hacks I included in the example. For a more complete list, see this thread. Traditionally, when a new software load starts showing up on TiVos, someone here will start a new thread named "xx.xy is starting to roll out" and several very astute members of this forum will search through tivoapp to find the correct locations and values to implement the most popular tivoapp hacks.

Buti would like to know more, especially if there is one similar to the show guard hack for replaytv, which allows you to extend recording that are not followed by another recording using the same tuner by a set period so that you don't get the end cut off, such as any show that doesn't have another show come after it is extended by 3 minutes or whatever you set it as.
    I'm not aware of one. That's a pretty sophisticated hack, requiring much more than simply modifying a few bytes of the tivoapp binary.

One other thought, when Iulled up the script originated in notepad and opened in gedit, it dd not show the truths, which it seems it should since that appears to be what it is chocking on. It essentially looked the same as in notepad, except for the colors on some ofthe operators are diffent and such. I think if it had shown them, I would have figured out the issue sooner. Thoughts?
    Like I said, I suggest you ditch notepad.exe permanenty. EditPlus is a very nice Windows based editor (although I prefer the older version to the new one), if you want to try it. It runs swimmingly under wine on Linux. One bonus to EditPlus is it supports DOS, Mac, and Linux line terminations. Editing a Linux format script in EditPlus does not result in the errors you encountered.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 11-25-2011 at 08:09 AM.

One thing that may not be immediately obvious. The hack_tivoapp script is deliberately very rudimentary. These scripts are not intended as a quick turnkey solution that will allow someone with no idea of how a TiVo works or any inkling of Linux methods and procedures to magically apply them to a TiVo hard drive and wind up with a fully functional hacked TiVo. They are intended as a guide and a basis for a hacking tool that will allow users to learn how to hack their TiVo and maintain it. They are also intended to be a fairly localized resource that makes it easier to find everything that is needed without having to worry about deprecated processes and obsolete utilities.

Because of this rudimentary approach, the hack_tivoapp script is not particularly intelligent or flexible. It is designed to be run once and only once on a particular copy of tivoapp for any given hack. It does check to make sure the expected value is found at the expected location for each hack and then writes the new value of the word to that location. It does this for each line in hacks.fil in turn. If the script fails to find the expected value at the expected location for any of the hacks in the file, the script will stop and leave the existing tivoapp binary untouched. Only if every single hack is successfully placed into the temporary binary does the script complete and overwrite the original copy of tivoapp. Since a successful completion of the script results in new values being written to the target locations in the binary, any attempt to run the script a second time with the same entries in hacks.fil will fail. Only if every single line in hacks.fil is removed and completely new hacks put in place will the script subsequently complete on a previously hacked copy of tivoapp.

Note also to remove a specific hack from an already-hacked tivoapp, one may remove all the other lines in the hacks.fil, leaving only the line(s) associated with the hack to be removed, but with the old and new values swapped on the line(s). In this case, the script will find all the new values in the binary and replace them again with the old values, removing the hack.

got everything ready to go with right permissions and such, but cannot make bootpage work see errors

Code:
    make
    gcc -O3   -c -o bootpage.o bootpage.c
    bootpage.c: In function ‘main’:
    bootpage.c:57:3: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’ [enabled by default]
    bootpage.c:63:3: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’ [enabled by default]
    bootpage.c:79:3: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’ [enabled by default]
    bootpage.c:144:5: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’ [enabled by default]
    bootpage.c: In function ‘usage’:
    bootpage.c:170:2: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’ [enabled by default]
    bootpage.c: In function ‘setbootparams’:
    bootpage.c:209:14: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘strlen’ [enabled by default]
    bootpage.c: In function ‘sethostname’:
    bootpage.c:233:14: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘strlen’ [enabled by default]
    bootpage.c: In function ‘saveOriginalBootpage’:
    bootpage.c:259:3: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’ [enabled by default]
    bootpage.c:269:3: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’ [enabled by default]
    bootpage.c: In function ‘doit’:
    bootpage.c:285:3: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’ [enabled by default]
    bootpage.c:296:3: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘exit’ [enabled by default]
    gcc -static -o bootpage bootpage.o
    strip bootpage
    thought I had it but I cannot make bootpage. anyone help with what I am doing wrong now?

I have tried it sudo and not, and after running once , it will not run again and still I cannot use bootpage command to look at the disk

I downloaded the zip file and extracted the contents to a folder and tried make, here are the contents.

Code:
    jon@server:~/hack/test$ ls -l
    total 612
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 593260 2011-11-29 15:05 bootpage
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jon  jon    6871 2004-09-21 09:21 bootpage.c
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jon  jon     966 2004-09-21 08:59 bootpage.h
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   6864 2011-11-29 15:05 bootpage.o
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jon  jon    7428 2003-05-08 14:35 bootpage.tgz
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 jon  jon     223 2004-10-05 15:56 Makefile
    jon@server:~/hack/test$
    which I think i just need to make, but the errors above happen

If I try unzipping the bootpage.tgz, it turns bootpage into a directory and then go to that directory and run make and still no joy.

Code:
    ^Cjon@server:~/hack/test$ ls
    bootpage  bootpage.c  bootpage.h  bootpage.o  bootpage.tgz  Makefile
    jon@server:~/hack/test$ make
    gcc -static -o bootpage bootpage.o
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file bootpage: Is a directory
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [bootpage] Error 1
    jon@server:~/hack/test$ cd bootpage
    jon@server:~/hack/test/bootpage$ ls
    bootpage  bootpage.c  bootpage.h  bootpage.o  Makefile
    jon@server:~/hack/test/bootpage$ make
    make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
    jon@server:~/hack/test/bootpage$
    Last edited by sanjonny; 12-03-2011 at 01:57 AM.

and while I am at it, do i have to build tivopart and if so how, or is that a directory in the list of files you have listed above. I don't know how to tell.