Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Overview of Hacking an S3

OK, I made some more changes to the scripts. I made the file checks more comprehensive in hack_tivo, and made the failure text (hopefully) a little clearer. I also enhanced hack_tivoapp so now it should run on either an external PC with the TiVo drive attached, or on a live TiVo. I need someone to alpha test this, because I don't have any un-hacked TiVo drives handy.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

If no one has tested it yet and if I get the returns of the 20 minute reboots I'd be glad to test it on the new drive.

Want me to send you the back up Tivo app made by the script?

No, just let me know if the script completes without inappropriate errors. It woud probably be best if we coordinated the time so that I can be on hand if things go south.

Well, i think i can help, sorry, have been out of town a few days and not able to play with my tivo, but the good news is, i can be the perfect test monkey for the new script since i plan to upgrade my drive, after i get the final shows off of it, which will probably be able to make use of all the new code.

I still need to run the prior discussed changes/hacks to free some final recordings, then i can ditch the 160 gb drive and replace it with the 1tb or other of two spare drives i have left over from upgrading my home server and storage attached box.

So here is my new questions for clarity.

1. I think since i have everything hacked except the two "switches" i need to only run hack_tivoapp (not hack_tivo) and have hacks.fil have the referenced changes. I believe i should remove all the other changes from hacks.fil since in my understanding, it will not execute them because they are already changed and it (the script) would see that and error out those lines.

2. I have no problem pulling my drive since i figured i will/would need to do that anyway when i want to upgrade and left my tivo in a state ready for that, but curiosity has hit and wondering how i would run the script on the tivo via the network. I am assuming i would telnet into it but not sure how to command the script to find the network location or drive location or whatever, but after thinking a bit, it is already there because of the telnetting, so maybe i just edit hacks.fil on the tivo via ftp or joe and place the new version on the " live " tivo and then just run it there? I believe i would need to change the hex values if doing it that way due to some reason i cannot remember, but am i at least on the right wavelength here?

3. Check this post again, i have to scroll back to find the right program i am thinkng about so i might edit this part.....okay reviewed the new script, loved that the variables set is right at the beginning as setting the hack directory to the one ubuntu wanted to give me permissions to instead of the root would have saved all kinds of time. One other thought, since it was a big stumbling block for me because of using ubuntu and the root issue, how about adding a permissions check if that is possible to make sure you have minimum permissions of the files to run, as that was half my battle because of how ubuntu sets default permissions and users. Dont know if that is possible and a big suggestion would be to not use ubuntu due to the problems i experienced, but for those that alreadd have it installed, the permissions check might help.

After i free my recordings, i think i should be able to troubleshoot the script both ways because i can make multiple copies of the drive, hack it on the computer, then wipe it and try to hack it on the tivo and so on to make sure the script works fine under all circumstances, but i cant do that till i remove the left over prehacked recordings i want to save so help with the above questions greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by sanjonny; 12-13-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    Well, i think i can help, sorry, have been out of town a few days and not able to play with my tivo, but the good news is, i can be the perfect test monkey for the new script since i plan to upgrade my drive, after i get the final shows off of it, which will probably be able to make use of all the new code.
    OK

1. I think since i have everything hacked except the two "switches" i need to only run hack_tivoapp (not hack_tivo) and have hacks.fil have the referenced changes.
    Yes, if the TiVo already has a neutered kernel and all the files are there, then only tivoapp needs modification.

I believe i should remove all the other changes from hacks.fil since in my understanding, it will not execute them because they are already changed and it (the script) would see that and error out those lines.
    Correct. The hack_tivoapp script checks every proposed location for the expected existing byte values. If even one location has a byte value other than expected (which would be the case if the value has already been changed by a hack), then the script terminates.

2. I have no problem pulling my drive since i figured i will/would need to do that anyway when i want to upgrade and left my tivo in a state ready for that, but curiosity has hit and wondering how i would run the script on the tivo via the network.
    Simply ftp the file to the location on the TiVo specified in the script (at the top). The default in the script is /var/hack.

I am assuming i would telnet into it but not sure how to command the script to find the network location
    All telnet does is open up a terminal on the machine (in this case the TiVo). It doesn't provide any sort of file access. Any files to be used, whether data, script, or binary, must reside on the machine.

or drive location or whatever, but after thinking a bit, it is already there because of the telnetting
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. I think not.

so maybe i just edit hacks.fil on the tivo via ftp or joe and place the new version on the " live " tivo and then just run it there?
    Run what there? hacks.fil is not a script or a binary. It is a data file. An appropriate hacks.fil has to be there for hack_tivoapp to use and hack_tivoapp (the updated one) has to be there in order to run.

I believe i would need to change the hex values if doing it that way due to some reason i cannot remember, but am i at least on the right wavelength here?
    No, I incorporated both hack methods into the script, so now the same script can be run on the TiVo or on an external PC. See lines 6 through 27 in the script, as well as lines 48 thr

One other thought, since it was a big stumbling block for me because of using ubuntu and the root issue, how about adding a permissions check if that is possible to make sure you have minimum permissions of the files to run, as
    It's surely possible, but I am not interested in doing so. The user needs to be able to set up his system, so I will leave that to him.

Sorry, some of my post was shortened because was/am posting using the ipad again. So the "easy" way at this point i just want to verify. I put the following into hacks.fil by itself - theignored hacks updated for 11k.
    Code:
    0x0056a3a4 "1200ffaf 1000ffaf"  //ignoredrmsig1
    0x00598024 "1200ff87 1000ff87"  //ignoredrmsig2
    On my pc in the /hack directory, plug in my tivo drive and and then run hack_tivoapp to get the values updated. I am triple checking because i a jumping without a net, i dont have a backup till i get the shows off and then can change from the two drive system to the one drive and back her up and then do some serious testing.

Since i am on the two drive system, after i change these values, do i then run the remove all copy protect script (or whatever it is called-edit RemoveDrmAll.tcl) in order to then be able to transfer the encrypted shows? Can i do that via copying the script to /var/hack and then telnetting to run it? I imagine i have to do it that way to have it work on both drives but better to ask, than screw up my recordings and tivo.

Also the noMek hacks, are for multiroom viewing i guess, does that allow other units to see what used to be encrypted shows or what is the purpose, it is like 5 or six lines that have to be changed, vs just the two but since i am updating, thought it might make sense to add them, but only after i understand what they do.

Assuming that is correct, i should be able to do this tomorrow morning and hopefully pull off my shows and be able to test the scripts and some drives by thursday eve.
    Last edited by sanjonny; 12-14-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Also the noMek hacks, are for multiroom viewing i guess, does that allow other units to see what used to be encrypted shows or what is the purpose, it is like 5 or six lines that have to be changed, vs just the two but since i am updating, thought it might make sense to add them, but only after i understand what they do.
    NoMEK is an alternative way to disable encryption on new recordings. You would apply either the standard noencryption patch OR NoMEK, but not both. Which one you choose depends on your particular situation:

If you have two hacked Tivos and both have the standard noencryption patch applied, you can transfer unencrypted recordings between the two with no problems. But if you have any encrypted recordings (made before applying the patch) that you want to transfer they will be unplayable on the target Tivo after you transfer them.

This is what the NoMEK patch solves - it allows the transfer of existing encrypted recordings between two Tivos with the NoMEK patch applied. If you don't have any encrypted recordings that you want to be able to transfer to another Tivo you only need the standard noencryption patch.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy View Post
    NoMEK is an alternative way to disable encryption on new recordings. You would apply either the standard noencryption patch OR NoMEK, but not both. Which one you choose depends on your particular situation:
    -psxboy
    That's kind of confusing, why can't we apply both???

Sorry, some of my post was shortened because was/am posting using the ipad again. So the "easy" way at this point i just want to verify. I put the following into hacks.fil by itself - theignored hacks updated for 11k.
    Code:
    0x0056a3a4 "1200ffaf 1000ffaf"  //ignoredrmsig1
    0x00598024 "1200ff87 1000ff87"  //ignoredrmsig2
    On my pc in the /hack directory, plug in my tivo drive and and then run hack_tivoapp to get the values updated.
    Correct on all counts.

I am triple checking because i a jumping without a net, i dont have a backup till i get the shows off and then can change from the two drive system to the one drive
    The script creates a backup of tivoapp on the PCs hard drive. Since that is all you will be changing, you *do* have a backup.

Since i am on the two drive system, after i change these values, do i then run the remove all copy protect script (or whatever it is called-edit RemoveDrmAll.tcl)
    RemoveCpiAll.tcl

Can i do that via copying the script to /var/hack and then telnetting to run it?
    That's more or less the only way to do it.

Also the noMek hacks, are for multiroom viewing i guess
    Yes.

does that allow other units to see what used to be encrypted shows
    Not "used to be" encrypted, but rather still encrypted.

one last issue that i just noticed, the hacks.fil examples in post 39 dont have quotation marks, but the code i copied for the ignoredm (scroll up a few posts) does have quotation marks. am i supposed to leave the quotation marks or should i remove them? why are they there, this was copied directly from the 11...k thread. Are those the correct numbers/hex/syntax or should i be using different values?

also, since i am about to do this, what is the bufferhack and can i include that code in hacks.fil or do i run it differently?

thanks guys, once i get confirmation, i hope to run this later tonight.
    Last edited by sanjonny; 12-14-2011 at 10:09 PM.

one last issue that i just noticed, the hacks.fil examples in post 39 dont have quotation marks, but the code i copied for the ignoredm (scroll up a few posts) does have quotation marks. am i supposed to leave the quotation marks or should i remove them?
    It doesn't matter. Look at lines 43 through 45:

Code:
            offset=$(( $(echo $line | cut -d" " -f1) - 0x00400000 ))
            oldword=$(echo $line | cut -d" " -f2 | sed s'/"//g')
            newword=$(echo $line | cut -d" " -f3 | sed s'/"//g')
    The cut utility selects a section of text from an input file (in this case a pipe from the output of the variable $line). This is in turn piped to the line editor sed, which in this case substitutes any occurrence of the quote character with nothing at all. IOW, it removes any quote marks from the string segment. The only requirement is there must be a single space between each field in the file.

Are those the correct numbers/hex/syntax or should i be using different values?
    They look right, to me.

what is the bufferhack
    As the name suggests, it hacks the live buffer to allow more buffer time. I never use the buffer, so this is of no interest to me.

and can i include that code in hacks.fil or do i run it differently?
    Bufferhack is a TCL script that modifies elements of the MFS system. It is not a hack of tivoapp.

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    That's kind of confusing, why can't we apply both???
    Not to get too technical here, but the patch location for the generic noencryption patch is the same as the second patch location in the full NoMEK patch but with a different value. If you apply both you'll likely bork your tivoapp.

The generic noencryption patch uses a brute-force method to bypass the encryption routines alltogether. The NoMEK patch uses a different technique to bypass the encryption routine for new recordings but keeps them in place for MRV transfers, which is necessary for transferring encrypted recordings.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy View Post
    Not to get too technical here, but the patch location for the generic noencryption patch is the same as the second patch location in the full NoMEK patch but with a different value. If you apply both you'll likely bork your tivoapp.

The generic noencryption patch uses a brute-force method to bypass the encryption routines alltogether. The NoMEK patch uses a different technique to bypass the encryption routine for new recordings but keeps them in place for MRV transfers, which is necessary for transferring encrypted recordings.

-psxboy
    So it's because I used the noencryption patch instead of the NoMEK patch that I can't view shows recorded on my Tivo Premier on my Tivo HD. I know you said I couldn't watch the encrypted shows on my hacked tivo but I guess I didn't really understand why. This is good information to know.

This also means I can restore my original tivoapp and do things differently if I want. I was running every code I can find at my tivoapp thinking the less it controls the more I control...

So it's because I used the noencryption patch instead of the NoMEK patch that I can't view shows recorded on my Tivo Premier on my Tivo HD. I know you said I couldn't watch the encrypted shows on my hacked tivo but I guess I didn't really understand why. This is good information to know.
    Actually, I don't think you can transfer shows between a hacked Tivo with encryption disabled (no matter which method you use) and an unhacked Tivo. For NoMEK to work both Tivos have to be hacked & both have to have NoMEK applied. Without a way to hack the Premiere you'll have to keep encryption enabled on your Tivo HD if you want to be able to transfer shows between the two.

This also means I can restore my original tivoapp and do things differently if I want. I was running every code I can find at my tivoapp thinking the less it controls the more I control...
    You shouldn't blindly apply patches to tivoapp anyway. Read about what they do & decide what you want to apply & what you don't. Always work smarter, not blindly.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652