Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 389

Thread: Overview of Hacking an S3

  1. #166
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    75
    Okay, i guess my other post didnt make it. I was not able to get hack_tivoapp to work because it would not detect the drive so figuring the worst that would happen is it would just copy over everything again, i ran hack_tivo which then ran hack_tivoapp again with the ignorechanges which worked. At first i thought it would not boot but eventually i heard the tivo man making his noises. Now, any suggestions to copy the script over to the tivo using a linux ftp program? I think it would be okay to just download it in windows and ftp in binary to the tivo, but if that doesnt work, what ftp program should i use in linux. I will probably just try it windows wize and see if it works. Since i wont be changingthe file, it should anyway.

    Also, i will try and post the errors i got with just hack_tivoapp when i reboot.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    Okay, i guess my other post didnt make it. I was not able to get hack_tivoapp to work because it would not detect the drive
    On the TiVo or on an external PC? If you are running hack_tivoapp by itself on an external PC, then you need to mount the TiVo partitions manually. This means running tivopart and then mounting both the root of the TiVo and /dev/sda9 to /tivo and /tivo/var, respectively and in that order. Hack_tivoapp itself does not check for the existence of a drive.

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    so figuring the worst that would happen is it would just copy over everything again, i ran hack_tivo which then ran hack_tivoapp again with the ignorechanges which worked. At first i thought it would not boot but eventually i heard the tivo man making his noises.
    So the scripts completed without error on the external PC?

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    Now, any suggestions to copy the script over to the tivo using a linux ftp program? I think it would be okay to just download it in windows and ftp in binary to the tivo
    Yes, as long as the transfer is binary, it doesn't matter what OS hosts the file.

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    but if that doesnt work, what ftp program should i use in linux.
    Plain old ftp is the simplest. Filezilla is also available in both Windows and Linux ports.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post

    So the scripts completed without error on the external PC?

    Plain old ftp is the simplest. Filezilla is also available in both Windows and Linux ports.
    Yes, basically, I just reran tivo_hack and since I changed the hacks.fil to only have the two ignorem lines in it, I think (correct me if I am wrong) it would just recopy over the other files and repatch the ip tables so I didn't get any errors and it told me that the values were changed.

    I kinda figured quickly that it was not recognizing the drive and so I hope I didn't screw anything up by running the full hack again, the only file I changed was hacks.fil and I did copy the newer version of the hack_tivoapp script. So if I had put the hacks.fil and hack_tivoapp script on the tivo drive via ftp and run it that way, it sounds like hack_tivoapp would have worked, but that I will have to save till next time when I have made a few copies of the drives and such so if there are problems I have the other or new working drive to use going forward.

    So now I just have to ftp the removecpiall script to the tivo and run it. Is there a root password I need or does that matter. Does it matter what the tivo is doing when I run that script and does it matter if there is a two drive system or not?

    I am guessing the answer to all those questions is no, but since I can't run it for about 2 hours, maybe somebody will let me know. I was planning on putting it in /var/hack on the tivo, to execute it do i have to type /var/hack/RemoveCpiAll.tcl or do I have to put sudo bash or something like that (which brings me back to the password issue, so maybe I don't need the sudo command. I don't know if /var/hack is on the path or not which probably affects which way I would have to run the command right, maybe ./RemoveCpiAll.tcl. I am not really worried about that, just wondering if it makes a big difference what the tivo is doing when I run that and how long it takes.

    On another note, I got the Galaxy Nexus today, so I have been rooting that and such too and pulling stuff off my old droid, so lots of linux experience today. For some reason, probably because you can backup so much stuff on the phones, those don't scare me the way monkeying around in the tivo guts do. At worst on the phone, you get stuck in a boot loop, factory reset and it all comes back to stock. But it is meant to do that, especially the nexus, whereas tivo is not, so it makes sense the tivo is scarier.

  4. #169
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by psxboy View Post
    You shouldn't blindly apply patches to tivoapp anyway. Read about what they do & decide what you want to apply & what you don't. Always work smarter, not blindly.

    -psxboy
    There is not much information on what each patch does until recently. Don't get me wrong because I know in the mountain of threads archived in this treasure trove of a board I am sure each one is defined sometimes right and a few times wrong. Just like some of the codes you find in the tivoapps thread are sometimes right and sometimes wrong. So for us bottom feeders who sponge off the abilities of the gifted few we take our chances, cross our fingers and hope for the best.

    It would be nice of there was a single straightforward sticky with correct information like this but at this point in the game what's the point? This is a good example where deep in the S3 hacking thread someone finally explained nomek vs the encryption hack... And we who see it appreciate it...

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    75
    I still wonder what the third encryption byte does in the "regular" encryption hacks.

    Two other points for anyone reading in the future. I copied the removecpi script to the tivo in /var/hack using ie8 ftp and it worked fine. If you type
    Code:
     RemoveCpiAll.tcl
    it will analyse the drive and tell you which shows it is goingto work on. Then you run
    Code:
     RemoveCpiAll.tcl ready
    and wait a bit and it finished and boom, now i am working on downloading them all so i can rearrange drives and further test the script the next couple of days. For anyone wondering, i used putty to telnet into the tivo to run the script, it works fine as long as you uncheck the line returns settings.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    I still wonder what the third encryption byte does in the "regular" encryption hacks.
    What are you talking about? The "104000aa" vs "100000aa" in the standard noencryption patch? Or something else?

    -psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    33
    fyi, I'm going to write a (new) guide between Christmas/New Years that includes screenshots of every step in the process, which will 1) Disable encryption and 2) transfer recordings.

    I think that covers most of what lay people are interested in doing with a hacked TiVo.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by psxboy View Post
    What are you talking about? The "104000aa" vs "100000aa" in the standard noencryption patch? Or something else?

    -psxboy
    No I wanted to know what the third change is.

    Code:
    0x005d2dec 104000aa 100000aa //noencryption
    0x006562a0 30b000ff 00008021 //cci1
    0x006562c4 00e08821 24110000 //cci2
    0x01046970 30b000ff 00008021 //cci3
    But actually since I don't know what cci1 and 2 are I guess it follows that I don't know exactly what 3 is.

    Also Karpo, I would be willing to help. A great idea would be to actually have a listing of all the changes you can make and their actual function. I know that I needed to use these hacks to enable myself to transfer future recordings and understand how removing the byte "fixed" the old recordings (which are still downloading thanks to slow tivohd speeds) but it would help if I knew why we have to use cci1 and cci2 and is there any advantage to using one and 2 but not 3, etc.

  9. #174
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    But actually since I don't know what cci1 and 2 are I guess it follows that I don't know exactly what 3 is.
    I'm guessing you've never written software, and don't understand how it works. I wouldn't expect the 3 changed locations to necessarily represent 3 independent, but similarly named patches. Rather, I expect that the are multiple changes needed to deal with cci. It's not safe to assume that the 3 changes are separable.

    OTOH, you talk as if cci is encryption. It's not.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    831
    First of all, no bytes get removed. In the case of the CCI hack, 12 bytes within tivoapp get changed to new values. This causes the app not to write a value other than zero to the CCI byte when the TiVo writes a new recording to disk. The igmoredrmsig hack allows one to manipulate the DRM signature of an existing recording without having the TiVo believe the recording is corrupt.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_s View Post
    I'm guessing you've never written software, and don't understand how it works. I wouldn't expect the 3 changed locations to necessarily represent 3 independent, but similarly named patches. Rather, I expect that the are multiple changes needed to deal with cci. It's not safe to assume that the 3 changes are separable.

    OTOH, you talk as if cci is encryption. It's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    First of all, no bytes get removed. In the case of the CCI hack, 12 bytes within tivoapp get changed to new values. This causes the app not to write a value other than zero to the CCI byte when the TiVo writes a new recording to disk. The igmoredrmsig hack allows one to manipulate the DRM signature of an existing recording without having the TiVo believe the recording is corrupt.
    That's exactly right. These three patches to tivoapp collectively disable the recording of the correct CCI information. You need to apply all three for it to work. Same thing with the ignoredrmsig patches and the NoMEK patches - they consist of multiple code patches that must all be applied in order to get the desired functionality.

    In case you're interested though, in the case of the CCI patches they load "0" into certain registers instead of the intended value. This has to happen in three different places in order to remove the intended CCI information before it's written to the disk.

    -psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8

    possible bug in lrhorer script?

    I'm a newb, although I've been wanting to do this for a while. Hacking my TiVoHD for the first time.

    Not completely new... I replaced my TiVoHD's drive a few months ago with a 2TB model, using the jmfs process described elsewhere. A few months before that, I bought a PROM from Omikron because I didn’t want to ship my TiVo on a schedule and have it missing for a week or two. Finally got brave enough (with a friend with experience) to solder the hacked PROM in, but with Omikron's new anytime service, I would just go that way if I were to do it again.

    I’ve been using a MFSLive linux cd, v1.4, and seems to be going okay. My biggest learning so far is carriage returns in bash script files don’t work so well! Replace all the CRLF pairs with just LF’s, and things work great (duh).

    Reason for my post though: lrhorer, I'm a newb, so I really hesitate to suggest this, but I think your hack_tivo script on post 39 has a slight bug. Please forgive (and point out!) if I am mis-understanding!

    The script on line 10 has this definition: HackFile=$HackDir/hacks.fil

    But then, later, on line 187, I think you’re expected $HackFile to have the value “tivohacks”, because you then append either 32 or 64 to it, and un-tar a .tar or .tar.gz file.

    HackFile is also referenced on line 43, where you check for its existence.

    In my copy of your script, I changed the variable HackFile to ToolFile, and then made the rest of the checks work, although I didn’t make the 32/64 file check work generically. See diff output below:
    Code:
    10c10
    < HackFile=$HackDir/hacks.fil
    ---
    > ToolFile=$HackDir/tivohacks
    43c43
    < if ! [[ -f $HackFile ]]
    ---
    > if ! [[ -f $ToolFile64.tar.gz || -f $ToolFile64.tar ]]
    45,46c45,46
    <      echo "Text file $HackFile not found."
    <      echo "Note: The file may be zero length (no hacks to process),"
    ---
    >      echo "Text file $ToolFile not found."
    >      echo "Note: The file may be zero length (no tools to load),"
    187c187
    < if [[ -a $HackFile$tivo_type.tar ]];
    ---
    > if [[ -a $ToolFile$tivo_type.tar ]];
    189,190c189,190
    <      tar -xvf $HackFile$tivo_type.tar;
    < elif [[ -a $HackFile$tivo_type.tar.gz ]];
    ---
    >      tar -xvf $ToolFile$tivo_type.tar;
    > elif [[ -a $ToolFile$tivo_type.tar.gz ]];
    192c192
    <      tar -xzvf $HackFile$tivo_type.tar.gz;
    ---
    >      tar -xzvf $ToolFile$tivo_type.tar.gz;
    194c194
    <      echo $HackFile$tivo_type.tar not found.  Exiting...
    ---
    >      echo $ToolFile$tivo_type.tar not found.  Exiting...

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
    I'm a newb, although I've been wanting to do this for a while. Hacking my TiVoHD for the first time.
    'Glad to have you in the ranks.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
    I’ve been using a MFSLive linux cd, v1.4, and seems to be going okay. My biggest learning so far is carriage returns in bash script files don’t work so well! Replace all the CRLF pairs with just LF’s, and things work great (duh).
    The script was really designed for use in a production Linux environment. In this environment, one may make changes to the hack system as needed and then the next time one hacks a TiVo externally, the updates are in place and ready to go. As you yourself have proven, though, it can work from a live CD.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
    Reason for my post though: lrhorer, I'm a newb, so I really hesitate to suggest this, but I think your hack_tivo script on post 39 has a slight bug.
    You shouldn't hesitate. Everyone makes mistakes. It's principally how we learn. Had it been you who were in error, I would simply have coached you in what way you were mistaken.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
    Please forgive (and point out!) if I am mis-understanding!
    'Nothing to forgive.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
    The script on line 10 has this definition: HackFile=$HackDir/hacks.fil
    Correct. $HackFile is the file containing the revisions, if any, to tivoapp.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
    HackFile is also referenced on line 43, where you check for its existence.
    Also correct. If the flat text file containing the revisions to tivoapp does not exist, the hack_tivoapp routine will fail with an error. If the $HackFile file exists, but is empty, then no revisions will be made to tivoapp, yet the hack_tivoapp routine will not return an error.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
    But then, later, on line 187, I think you’re expected $HackFile to have the value “tivohacks”, because you then append either 32 or 64 to it, and un-tar a .tar or .tar.gz file.
    Right. That's the bug.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
    In my copy of your script, I changed the variable HackFile to ToolFile, and then made the rest of the checks work, although I didn’t make the 32/64 file check work generically.
    That certainly works, but a better approach is to properly create a new variable for the tivohacksXX tarball. I'm updating the script now.

    I have not had any opportunity to test the scripts since the last round of updates, so bugs like this are highly likely. Thanks for finding this one and reporting it.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    Thanks, lrhorer. Script running starts in about 15 minutes... as soon as my daughter is done watching Grey's Anatomy...

    Wish me luck!

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
    Thanks, lrhorer. Script running starts in about 15 minutes... as soon as my daughter is done watching Grey's Anatomy...
    A lesson in wisdom versus foolish valor: don't interrupt a daughter watching Grey's Anatomy.

    Quote Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
    Wish me luck!
    Good luck! Let me know if you run into any issues.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •