Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Overview of Hacking an S3

Hi sanjonny, thank you so much for the reply !

I truly suck and I think I have to take this whole process step by step.
    The first thing that come to my mind is that I never boot up my tivo. As soon as I got this tivo, I opened it up, removed the hard disk, shipped it to PROM it, and as soon as I got the hard disk back, I started to play around with the script following lhorer directions.
    I would think my software version is still 11.0K. and not yet 11m

The hacks.fil that you shared with us, is (11.0k).

What should I do ?
    What happen if I use your 11m hackfile though my software is still 11.0k ?

Also, could u pls tell me where I can find RemoveAllCpi.tcl (the script) ?

Thank you so much !!
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    Svenn and Marcolisi:

I will try and answer both questions at once and whatever I am wrong about people can correct me.

Yes, you can use all your old stuff, even your old script to update, but you need to update you hacks.fil with the information I put about 1 page back with the 11m.

I would suggest that you update lhorers script to the latest as it has many more error checks and descriptions so when things go wrong you can easily post what is happening.

But if you just got the update and need to change the easy path would be to pull your drive, update your hacks.fil file with the correct info, I would suggest replacing your old hacks.tar file with the updated one so you do not have to change Tivowebplus port when your hack is finished (though I did not do this, I am going to update my files just in case of next time)

To find your version of the software, go to messages and settings and on the system info screen you can see what version you are running, but if you got updated, your probably on 11m.

If you already hacked it and left everything setup, you should be able to pull your drive, edit hacks.fil and then run hack_tivo and your drive should be hacked. If you want to fix your recordings, make sure when you edit hacks.fil you include the 2 ignoredrmsig lines if you want to free the shows that have recorded recently that are copy protected.

For my system file (tivo HD) see post 283 for the proper hacks.fil commands. This will allow you to remove copy protection on those files later on.

So run tivo_hack and you are hopefully hacked. You can probably copy RemoveAllCpi.tcl (the script) to you hacks directory before you take the drive out of the computer, if it was not already in the hack directory (it was not in mine) or you can ftp it over later. I would not run it at this point just in case something is not working right. Easier to run it after you know your tivo will boot and is working okay. Hopefully lhorer can put that file on the script page or include it in the tivohacks tarballs so it is just there for future updates., Pretty please with sugar on top?

Pull your drive, put it back in the tivo, boot er up. Go to a copy protected channel and record a minute or 2. Then see if it shows up as downloadable or not. If it is downloadable, then your hacks worked and now all you have to do is run removeall to remove the copy protection from everything.

Open you favorite telnet program (I use putty) and open a telnet session to you tivo ip address. If you have not transferred over the Remove all cpi script, you will have to ftp it to /var/hack or wherever you plan to store it, if so, go to where it hides and run it as per post 289 and 170 (288 has additional info). The first command tells you what will have copy protection removed and the second does it. Go back to say kmttg and see if you can now transfer everything. You should be done.

I took it a bit further and added a readme file to my directory with all my learnings and tried to update all my posts on here to make things more clear. It requires some jumping around but you can follow my stuff from start to finish and it should cover anything you run into.

138 thru 142 cover some of the ftp process and other stuff that might be of interest and if you want to install joe, go to 143. I will put all the post numbers below.

Whatever you do, do not edit the files like the tivowebplusconfig or hacks.fil in windows unless you use something like notepad++. Better to do the editing in linux with joe, or vim or gedit or whatever. If you are like me and have a multitude of error codes, start at post 136 as it's probably privileges issues which lhorer and others cover well.

Also if you ever have your tivowebplus just disappear, read the actions I took in post 247. It covers the best way to restore things.

so here is a list of all the posts in numerical but not topic order 136, 138-143,170ish,247,283,288-289. Scroll in between for any additional info.

Hope this all helps

I am the happiest guy you can imagine right now. Thanks to all you wonderful denizens of this forum - ESPECIALLY lrhorer and sanjohnny - I have successfuly hacked my THD (software version 11.m). If you have read any of my posts, you know what a linux newb I am. I was having problems with the most basic procedures. So, I packed everything up and let it sit overnight and just tried to think in logical steps. I started over this morning and installed Debian 7.1 (Wheezy) on a newer system and then went back through the steps that lrhorer guided me through back in 2011 (thread in this forum is 'linux can't read my tivo hard drive'; dates = Sept 30 - Oct 1, 2011; roughly, posts 29 - 87). Luckily I had downloaded the latest files because the fletchergeek host site was not available as of this morning ("website suspended"). I edited the 11.m code for "hacks.fil" and updated code for "hack.tivo" and "hack_tivoapp" (thanks again, lrhorer), reset all permissions in "/hack" using "chmod 755 * (thanks sanjohnny and lrhorer). I then attached my Tivo drive and ran "./hack_tivo". It completed without error in the time predicted by lrhorer back in 2011 (about 15 seconds). As I said to lrhorer back then, "it feels like Christmas". Got that same feeling right now.

I can't say thank you enough for the gracious help and information provided by the members of this forum. This has allowed me to continue enjoying my hobby.
    Last edited by svenn; 09-06-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
    Hi sanjonny, thank you so much for the reply !

I truly suck and I think I have to take this whole process step by step.
    The first thing that come to my mind is that I never boot up my tivo. As soon as I got this tivo, I opened it up, removed the hard disk, shipped it to PROM it, and as soon as I got the hard disk back, I started to play around with the script following lhorer directions.
    I would think my software version is still 11.0K. and not yet 11m

The hacks.fil that you shared with us, is (11.0k).

What should I do ?
    What happen if I use your 11m hackfile though my software is still 11.0k ?

Also, could u pls tell me where I can find RemoveAllCpi.tcl (the script) ?

Thank you so much !!
    Marco
    The version i posted is 11m. the hacks for 11k were on the first page of lhorers hacking script page (he might have updated them by now) You really are not in control of which software you have unless you have the hack that prevents updating, but that is why you need to see which version is running via the system information screen on the tivo and if you have not, reboot it to see if you have the update. I am somewhat out of my depth on how that all works but if you don't have 11m, I think you will be getting it soon. If nothing else, you want it since I think if you prevent it from updating, it your tivo will nightly reboot until you get the new software or something, not sure, but others might be able to chime in on that. If you have not ever put the drive in the tivo, put it in, boot it a few times to see which version of the software you have and if you have for some reason 11k, use the hacks from 11k but be ready to go to 11m. Whatever you do, its probably not a good idea to try the wrong hacks as you could probably bork your system so make sure which software you have and follow the posts.
    Last edited by sanjonny; 09-07-2013 at 12:48 AM.

I see you got this working, so this is a bit after the fact, but...

Quote Originally Posted by svenn View Post
    I am distraught. I attached my Tivo drive to my linux box, but debian does not see it. have tried different power + sata cables - no luck. It is an old Asrock MB with only 2 sata connectors (Debian is on the main IDE port) This is the same box I used to hack 11.0k back in October 2011.
    It most certainly should see the drive. There is nothng special or unusual about a TiVo drive at the hardware level. Of course a fresh boot with a stock kernel from most linux distributions will not recognize the partitions, so the system will only create /dev/sdX, not /dev/sdX1, /dev/sdX2, etc.

I thought I would take an extra hard drive and install Debian on a newer computer (much newer MB) but can't even figure out how to copy the /hack directory + files onto a flash drive without losing all the permissions.
    Well, first of all, it's easy to re-establish the permissions. Although the data files don't really need (can't use) execute permissions, it would not hurt to simply issue the command
    Code:
    chmod 755 *
    That said, there are a number of ways to transfer files and directories with permissions intact. One would be
    Code:
    cp -a /hack/* <intermediate directory>
    and then
    Code:
    cp -a <intermediate directory>/hack/* <target directory>
    Another would be to use tar. From the root directory
    Code:
    tar -czvf <target filename> hack/*
    and then from the target directory:
    Code:
    tar -xzvf <target filename>
    For information on any command, type
    Code:
    man <command>
    The man pages for most commands are terse, but very thorough.

The simple things I want to do I can do in windows in 2 seconds. In linux it is taking days and I am still nowhere. almost want to cry at times.
    The same functions (and then some) available from the Windows GUI are available from most of the linux desktop GUIs. Almost nothing I want to do is at all easy - or often even possible - with any GUI.

I am old and this is making me older.
    Well, I'm not exactly a spring chicken, myself.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

lrhorer - thanks for the reply. while I am still happy as a clam I am a bit ashamed for knuckling under so quickly. Been battling bronchitis all week (wife also) and just haven't had the drive or concentration necessary to deal with details. Once I went back and reread the old thread, the process made more sense and there were no hiccups. You may remember, we had the same issues back in 2011 (tivo drive would not be recognized) and you ended up revising the script for me. The issue was my linux box was using an old motherboard that had no working sata ports, so I connected the drive via a sata-usb adapter. then the system saw it as a floppy. No worries now. Debian 7.1 on a newer MB (sata3) and everything whizzed right by. I spent yesterday afternoon outlining the steps I took (per your guidelines) and added the explanatory rationale for step. I now have a solid reference and should be able to handle the next update without turning into a mass of jelly. Thanks for the additional pointers & suggestions - they are now added to my reference tome. Happy tivoing. svenn
    Last edited by svenn; 09-07-2013 at 02:00 PM.

It says Software version 8.1.7a1-01-2-652

I see no 11m or 11k :-(

This is under system info - Software version
    Thank you

The version i posted is 11m. the hacks for 11k were on the first page of lhorers hacking script page (he might have updated them by now) You really are not in control of which software you have unless you have the hack that prevents updating, but that is why you need to see which version is running via the system information screen on the tivo and if you have not, reboot it to see if you have the update. I am somewhat out of my depth on how that all works but if you don't have 11m, I think you will be getting it soon. If nothing else, you want it since I think if you prevent it from updating, it your tivo will nightly reboot until you get the new software or something, not sure, but others might be able to chime in on that. If you have not ever put the drive in the tivo, put it in, boot it a few times to see which version of the software you have and if you have for some reason 11k, use the hacks from 11k but be ready to go to 11m. Whatever you do, its probably not a good idea to try the wrong hacks as you could probably bork your system so make sure which software you have and follow the posts.

I spent yesterday afternoon outlining the steps I took (per your guidelines) and added the explanatory rationale for step. I now have a solid reference and should be able to handle the next update without turning into a mass of jelly. Thanks for the additional pointers & suggestions - they are now added to my reference tome. Happy tivoing. svenn
    Actually, there is a script in the http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...grade-to-7-2-2 thread that you can modify to your Tivo and let it do all the work. The cript stopped on my half way through so I used the manual commands in the thread and it worked like a charm. This saves you from pulling the drive and makes the update process take about 20 minutes...

Whatever you do, its probably not a good idea to try the wrong hacks as you could probably bork your system so make sure which software you have and follow the posts.
    If using my script, it's very unlikely to bork the system, because the script first checks to see the existing four bytes being replaced by each line are the ones expected to be there. If this is not true for any of the lines, the script aborts. It is extremely unlikely an incorrect version of tivoapp would match for even a single line hack, let alone more than one, so an attempt to hack using an incorrect version data file is very unlikely to produce a bad tivoapp.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 09-07-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    If using my script, it's very unlikely to bork the system, because the sceipt first checks to see the existing four bytes being replaced by each line are the ones expected to be there. If this is not true for any of the lines, the script aborts. It is extremely unlikely an incorrect version of tivoapp would match for even a single line hack, let alone more than one, so an attempt to hack using an incorrect version data file is very unlikely to produce a bad tivoapp.
    like in this case....

Code:
    Writing new tivoapp
    Creating temporary tivoapp
    Getting the hacking parameters for tivoapp
    104000aa 100000aa 1912332
    afb40030
    Failed for 104000aa 100000aa 1912332 Old value: afb40030
    Exiting

Luckily I had downloaded the latest files because the fletchergeek host site was not available as of this morning ("website suspended").
    That should be resolved, now.

like in this case....

Code:
    Writing new tivoapp
    Creating temporary tivoapp
    Getting the hacking parameters for tivoapp
    104000aa 100000aa 1912332
    afb40030
    Failed for 104000aa 100000aa 1912332 Old value: afb40030
    Exiting
    Precisely. Instead of the expected value of 104000AA at location 1912332, it found AFB40030, so it aborted the hack.

Precisely. Instead of the expected value of 104000AA at location 1912332, it found AFB40030, so it aborted the hack.
    lol, happy that I got so far 1 thing that I said right ! :-)
    That is a progress !
    lol

Please , I need help...I a seriously thinking to through in the garbage my PROMMED tivo , because I am stuck :-(
    My Tivo says that has a Software version 8.1.7a1-01-2-652 .
    I tried to edit hacks.fil using lrhorer 's scripts 11.0K and 11m but I am getting an error message when lrhorer 's script writes the new tivoapp (pls see post #309)

Pls help.
    Thank you so much

Please , I need help...I a seriously thinking to through in the garbage my PROMMED tivo , because I am stuck :-(
    My Tivo says that has a Software version 8.1.7a1-01-2-652 .
    I tried to edit hacks.fil using lrhorer 's scripts 11.0K and 11m but I am getting an error message when lrhorer 's script writes the new tivoapp (pls see post #309)

Pls help.
    Thank you so much
    I am sure many people would love your prommed tivo....Don't throw it away. Did you boot it in the tivo a few times and such as we recommended to see if you got all the updates? How old was this tivo? I could be older and has not updated yet or who knows. Your software version is extremely old. My in 11.0m-01-2-652. You probably need to hook up your tivo and connect it to the network a few times and reboot until you get the latest software. Until then, the hacks are not gonna work.

If using my script, it's very unlikely to bork the system, because the script first checks to see the existing four bytes being replaced by each line are the ones expected to be there. If this is not true for any of the lines, the script aborts. It is extremely unlikely an incorrect version of tivoapp would match for even a single line hack, let alone more than one, so an attempt to hack using an incorrect version data file is very unlikely to produce a bad tivoapp.
    That, of course is why you are the greatest. I probably should have said it differently because the great error checking and improvements in your script help to prevent people from doing horrible things, though give someone a big enough monkey wrench and they can screw up anything. That is why I always ask to make sure I understand what I am doing and why. I guess my point should have been that trying to put the wrong values in was a bad idea, because sometimes people might manually try to do things the script does and end up in trouble.....