Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Overview of Hacking an S3

Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    I am sure many people would love your prommed tivo....Don't throw it away. Did you boot it in the tivo a few times and such as we recommended to see if you got all the updates? How old was this tivo? I could be older and has not updated yet or who knows. Your software version is extremely old. My in 11.0m-01-2-652. You probably need to hook up your tivo and connect it to the network a few times and reboot until you get the latest software. Until then, the hacks are not gonna work.
    I connected the tivo to the net and it did 1 update. (giving me the software version that I told u). I rebooted again the tivo, but it did not do any other software update.
    On this prommed tivo, I have no card and cisco installed .
    I have 1 card and cisco box, but they are hooked to the non prommed tivo.

Will the prommed tivo be able to update its software even if I do not plug-in the card and the cisco box to the prommed tivo ?

I tried to put the card in the prommed tivo, but it did not work because I needed to call TWC to link the card to the prommed tivo.... the card is linked to the non prommed tivo.
    Before doing so (link the card to the prommed tivo), I would be sure that the only way to get the updates for the prommed tivo is via linking the card....

Thank you for replying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
    I connected the tivo to the net and it did 1 update. (giving me the software version that I told u). I rebooted again the tivo, but it did not do any other software update.
    On this prommed tivo, I have no card and cisco installed .
    I have 1 card and cisco box, but they are hooked to the non prommed tivo.

Will the prommed tivo be able to update its software even if I do not plug-in the card and the cisco box to the prommed tivo ?

I tried to put the card in the prommed tivo, but it did not work because I needed to call TWC to link the card to the prommed tivo.... the card is linked to the non prommed tivo.
    Before doing so (link the card to the prommed tivo), I would be sure that the only way to get the updates for the prommed tivo is via linking the card....

Thank you for replying to me.
    I don't know if there is a way to force the update? We are kinda out of my depth for how the tivo software update process works. I don't know if by card you are meaning cable card, which probably might ??? not matter, or if you mean network card, which HAS to matter, because otherwise, how could the data for the network get there. Note that people started getting the 11.m update a few months ago an I only got it like a week ago. I would think if you got ANY update, it would be the latest, but maybe it is not working that way, again, have no idea how that works. But if you somehow get updates to 11k or 11m, you know all you will need to do is update hacks.fil. Hopefully others can tell you more about how the update process works.
    I don't think prom modding has anything to do with the updat (unless there is a hack that blocks it) but I would guess that the tivo has to have active (subscription status) to be able to do anything. Since my tivos have been active since I bought them, I don't even know what happens when the tivo is not active. But logically, it would make no sense for the tivo to update without an active subscription. In essense, you might have to setup the tivo completely to get the update....

I don't know if there is a way to force the update? We are kinda out of my depth for how the tivo software update process works. I don't know if by card you are meaning cable card, which probably might ??? not matter, or if you mean network card, which HAS to matter, because otherwise, how could the data for the network get there. Note that people started getting the 11.m update a few months ago an I only got it like a week ago. I would think if you got ANY update, it would be the latest, but maybe it is not working that way, again, have no idea how that works. But if you somehow get updates to 11k or 11m, you know all you will need to do is update hacks.fil. Hopefully others can tell you more about how the update process works.
    I don't think prom modding has anything to do with the updat (unless there is a hack that blocks it) but I would guess that the tivo has to have active (subscription status) to be able to do anything. Since my tivos have been active since I bought them, I don't even know what happens when the tivo is not active. But logically, it would make no sense for the tivo to update without an active subscription. In essense, you might have to setup the tivo completely to get the update....
    Thank you for the reply. Yes, I meant Cable Card.
    I guess I will try to activate this box/ link the cable card to this box and see if that way I can get the last software update.
    I will all let you know :-)

I am following these instructions

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/395

I put the cable card in the prom tivo , but it seems I can not get the software updated...
    Is it possible that installing the script before doing the software update is blocking the software update ?

I am following these instructions

I put the cable card in the prom tivo , but it seems I can not get the software updated...
    Is it possible that installing the script before doing the software update is blocking the software update ?
    Patience grasshopper... Patience... No man knows the day or the hour but the updates eventually come.

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    Patience grasshopper... Patience... No man knows the day or the hour but the updates eventually come.
    Yes, it did it !! YEAH !!!
    THANK YOU !!

I have now 11m !!

For others new like me, I followed these steps , despite my tivo S3 is NOT active yet and the Cable Card is not in ....

Series3 DVRs

From TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Settings > Phone & Network > Connect to the TiVo service now

After any successful connection (whether manual or automatic), the TiVo DVR will automatically attempt another connection within the next 48 hours.

I left the tivo on for 2 days...and in the end it did the update !!

I updated hacks.fil and re run the script and everything went perfectly :-)

I put the HD back into the tivo and booted up tivo....
    I recorded a show and I tried to transfer it to the pc using tivo desktop, but it says that it can not find my tivo :-(

- How can I pass all the recorded videos using Tivo Desktop or else ? What is the next step ?

- About my old Hard Disk (2TB) that is on the S4 premium box, and that has inside old recordings, is there a way to mount it on my S3 ?

Thank you
    Last edited by marcolisi; 09-14-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Hi sanjonny, I am trying to follow what you wrote :

"Open you favorite telnet program (I use putty) and open a telnet session to you tivo ip address. If you have not transferred over the Remove all cpi script, you will have to ftp it to /var/hack or wherever you plan to store it, if so, go to where it hides and run it as per post 289 and 170 (288 has additional info). The first command tells you what will have copy protection removed and the second does it. Go back to say kmttg and see if you can now transfer everything. You should be done."

The thing is that :

1) I got the " RemoveCpiAll.tcl" file from here

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/at...9&d=1298593697

2) I telnet/ftp the " RemoveCpiAll.tcl" file into "/var/" folder , using putty .

3) I run the codes in putty :

Code:
    RemoveCpiAll.tcl
    and

Code:
    RemoveCpiAll.tcl ready

and after having and solved the problem that u had with "folder not found" , I was able to run the script fine :

bash-2.02# RemoveCpiAll.tcl
    FSID Title
    ============ ================================================================
    92978 TG2 Dossier
    92880 Facciamo pace
    92045 Caught on Camera
    51760 Porta a Porta
    bash-2.02# RemoveCpiAll.tcl ready
    bash-2.02#
    FSID Title
    InProgress Tale e Quale Show
    93015 Tale e Quale Show
    bash-2.02# RemoveCpiAll.tcl ready
    bash-2.02#
    FSID Title
    InProgress Tale e Quale Show

The problem is that when using kmttg , I keep having the red protection symbol next to the shows .
    Do you have any idea why the shows are still protected ?
    Thank you

Svenn and Marcolisi:

I will try and answer both questions at once and whatever I am wrong about people can correct me.

Yes, you can use all your old stuff, even your old script to update, but you need to update you hacks.fil with the information I put about 1 page back with the 11m.

I would suggest that you update lhorers script to the latest as it has many more error checks and descriptions so when things go wrong you can easily post what is happening.

But if you just got the update and need to change the easy path would be to pull your drive, update your hacks.fil file with the correct info, I would suggest replacing your old hacks.tar file with the updated one so you do not have to change Tivowebplus port when your hack is finished (though I did not do this, I am going to update my files just in case of next time)

To find your version of the software, go to messages and settings and on the system info screen you can see what version you are running, but if you got updated, your probably on 11m.

If you already hacked it and left everything setup, you should be able to pull your drive, edit hacks.fil and then run hack_tivo and your drive should be hacked. If you want to fix your recordings, make sure when you edit hacks.fil you include the 2 ignoredrmsig lines if you want to free the shows that have recorded recently that are copy protected.

For my system file (tivo HD) see post 283 for the proper hacks.fil commands. This will allow you to remove copy protection on those files later on.

So run tivo_hack and you are hopefully hacked. You can probably copy RemoveAllCpi.tcl (the script) to you hacks directory before you take the drive out of the computer, if it was not already in the hack directory (it was not in mine) or you can ftp it over later. I would not run it at this point just in case something is not working right. Easier to run it after you know your tivo will boot and is working okay. Hopefully lhorer can put that file on the script page or include it in the tivohacks tarballs so it is just there for future updates., Pretty please with sugar on top?

Pull your drive, put it back in the tivo, boot er up. Go to a copy protected channel and record a minute or 2. Then see if it shows up as downloadable or not. If it is downloadable, then your hacks worked and now all you have to do is run removeall to remove the copy protection from everything.

Open you favorite telnet program (I use putty) and open a telnet session to you tivo ip address. If you have not transferred over the Remove all cpi script, you will have to ftp it to /var/hack or wherever you plan to store it, if so, go to where it hides and run it as per post 289 and 170 (288 has additional info). The first command tells you what will have copy protection removed and the second does it. Go back to say kmttg and see if you can now transfer everything. You should be done.

I took it a bit further and added a readme file to my directory with all my learnings and tried to update all my posts on here to make things more clear. It requires some jumping around but you can follow my stuff from start to finish and it should cover anything you run into.

138 thru 142 cover some of the ftp process and other stuff that might be of interest and if you want to install joe, go to 143. I will put all the post numbers below.

Whatever you do, do not edit the files like the tivowebplusconfig or hacks.fil in windows unless you use something like notepad++. Better to do the editing in linux with joe, or vim or gedit or whatever. If you are like me and have a multitude of error codes, start at post 136 as it's probably privileges issues which lhorer and others cover well.

Also if you ever have your tivowebplus just disappear, read the actions I took in post 247. It covers the best way to restore things.

so here is a list of all the posts in numerical but not topic order 136, 138-143,170ish,247,283,288-289. Scroll in between for any additional info.

Hope this all helps
    Last edited by marcolisi; 09-15-2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Able to go forward but got suck again

It worked !!!

The problem was that I was using the wrong 11m code for hacks.fil !!

This is the correct one that I should have used for hacks.fil !!

Code:
    0x005d2e0c "104000aa 100000aa"	//noencryption
    0x006562c0 "30b000ff 00008021"	//cci1
    0x006562e4 "00e08821 24110000"	//cci2
    0x00772e70 "00008021 24100001"	//backdoors
    0x010826a0 "30b000ff 00008021"	//cci3
    0x009b3c28 "12400003 10000003"  //deletethisrecording?
    0x00b8f55c "14400026 10400026"  //30secskip
    0x00b93c20 "0c2e527f 00000000"  //nopauseads
    0x0056a3c4 "1200ffaf 1000ffaf"  //ignoredrmsig1
    0x00598044 "1200ff87 1000ff87"  //ignoredrmsig2

Hi lrhorer ,

I read that you included the mfs utilities into your script.

Get , mfs_ftp and Jamie's mfs-utils , installed and ready to use after running your script ?

Please I need some direction in how to transfers recorded programs from tivo to PC .
    transfer are very slow when Using tivo desktop :-(

Thank you

Get , mfs_ftp and Jamie's mfs-utils , installed and ready to use after running your script ?

Please I need some direction in how to transfers recorded programs from tivo to PC .
    transfer are very slow when Using tivo desktop :-(

Thank you
    vserver is easier then mfs_ftp but I would suggest kmttg http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/. You can transfer and edit out the commercials then reformat in a more space saving format.

vserver is easier then mfs_ftp but I would suggest kmttg http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/. You can transfer and edit out the commercials then reformat in a more space saving format.
    Hi Soapm, Thank u for the reply.

I used kmttg and he has same slow speed as tivodesktop. :-(
    Since I passes to s3 , I have hard time to pass the shows to pc.... It is sooooo slow in comparison to the premiere TiVo :-(

It makes useless have the more functionality of an s3 if then the transfer time kills it :-(

How do u guys manage the incredible long transfer times of the s3?
    The s3 is 2-3 times slower than the premiere in moving files ...
    Pls, do u have any suggestion ?
    Maybe my s3 is set up wrong ?

Thank u so much

Since I passes to s3 , I have hard time to pass the shows to pc.... It is sooooo slow in comparison to the premiere TiVo :-(
    I don't know if you're serious or not but your statement isn't without reason. The premier has faster wireless (N vs G), Ethernet, processor and more memory. So it's not just faster transferring, it's faster at everything. Who would buy the newer device if it had the same specs as the old?

It makes useless have the more functionality of an s3 if then the transfer time kills it :-(
    I guess it's like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder.

Thank u so much
    What are you trying to transfer? All my shows are SD and I can live stream to my TivoHD with no problem. I don't need any faster than that.

For HD I would probably start a show 15 minutes or so before I plan to watch it. Small price to pay for the benefits of a hacked Tivo but again, like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. i hear some people push instead of pull and get faster transfers but I've don't need it at this time. As for removing the shows off the Tivo, I set kmttg and go to bed. I never really thought about how long it takes.
    Last edited by Soapm; 09-17-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Thank u so much
    By using kmttg, it is all automated and the transfer time is really not that horrible. I have so much stuff built up to watch that the only time the slow transfer is a problem is if I want to transfer something RIGHT AWAY and process it for storage or transport or whatever, but my Premiere I am not that happy with. Yes it has fast transfer but so many other things work so much better on the HD (tivowebplus being the biggest) and hacked so I get more control. If the premiere is ever hacked I might change my mind but so far if I had to get rid of one of my boxes, the premiere would go for sure. You can transfer faster using other protocols on the S3 but really, once you automate with kmttg, you really will not notice a big difference.

By using kmttg, it is all automated and the transfer time is really not that horrible. I have so much stuff built up to watch that the only time the slow transfer is a problem is if I want to transfer something RIGHT AWAY and process it for storage or transport or whatever, but my Premiere I am not that happy with. Yes it has fast transfer but so many other things work so much better on the HD (tivowebplus being the biggest) and hacked so I get more control. If the premiere is ever hacked I might change my mind but so far if I had to get rid of one of my boxes, the premiere would go for sure. You can transfer faster using other protocols on the S3 but really, once you automate with kmttg, you really will not notice a big difference.
    Trust me, when u have to download so many shows in 1 day and u have 1 that is 11GB, speed of transfer matter....at least to me...I see a huge difference in speed between the S3 and the S4...I need the extra speed. Could you pls suggest me another protocol to use ?
    Thank you

I don't know if you're serious or not but your statement isn't without reason. The premier has faster wireless (N vs G), Ethernet, processor and more memory. So it's not just faster transferring, it's faster at everything. Who would buy the newer device if it had the same specs as the old?

I guess it's like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder.

What are you trying to transfer? All my shows are SD and I can live stream to my TivoHD with no problem. I don't need any faster than that.

For HD I would probably start a show 15 minutes or so before I plan to watch it. Small price to pay for the benefits of a hacked Tivo but again, like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. i hear some people push instead of pull and get faster transfers but I've don't need it at this time. As for removing the shows off the Tivo, I set kmttg and go to bed. I never really thought about how long it takes.
    I bought an N wireless adapter to connect to the tivo, but the spped did not increase, because , as pointed out to me earlier, the problem is in the box itself :-(

I transfer 12 shows a day. 1 is 11 GB , another is 9 GB . The rest are mainly 4 GB , and some 800 mb shows.
    I need the speed of the S4 :-(
    Kmttg gives me same slow speeds of tivo desktop :-(
    I need a word around.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated . I am new at tivo. No idea how to FTP using tivo.
    Any help please ?
    Thank you