Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Overview of Hacking an S3

I believe the TivoHD max's at G.

Quote Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
    I bought an N wireless adapter to connect to the tivo, but the spped did not increase, because , as pointed out to me earlier, the problem is in the box itself :-(

I transfer 12 shows a day. 1 is 11 GB , another is 9 GB . The rest are mainly 4 GB , and some 800 mb shows.
    I need the speed of the S4 :-(
    Kmttg gives me same slow speeds of tivo desktop :-(
    I need a word around.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated . I am new at tivo. No idea how to FTP using tivo.
    Any help please ?
    Thank you
    Well, it is what it is. I have cycling videos that have been 20Gigs or more that I download. That is why I am saying the automation really helps. You just put them in a queue and process them when they are done. I would love it to download faster, but it doesn't so that's all there is to it. Or hack a premiere. I think you can get faster downloads by using other programs, but then you have to decode them and such which is a pain so most S3 owners just fall back on kmttg or their own scripts to deal with it. If you download it faster but have to convert each file, what are you really saving?

I can tell you having had my S3 for a long time and downloading lots and lots of shows (I think I have over 9K reprocessed to mkv or whatever) that you just learn to live with it, because you have to. The tivo limits the speed so it can stream and do everything else.

I will also say, my HD is way more stable than my premiere so even though the premiere has high dl speeds, I can only record about 12 channels on it. My HD can record anything so guess which unit I pull the most shows from.

Anyway, we are kinda out of the field of this thread. Back to how to hack....

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    I don't know if you're serious or not but your statement isn't without reason. The premier has faster wireless (N vs G), Ethernet, processor and more memory. So it's not just faster transferring, it's faster at everything.
    Well, not quite. There are some operations on the Premiere that are dreadfully slow. For example, entering into the Showcases, etc. menu causes the Premiere UI to sit in a wait state for what seems an eternity.

Who would buy the newer device if it had the same specs as the old?
    One might ask that of the TiVo HD. It's specs were almost all considerably inferior to the older S3. OTOH, it was quite a bit cheaper... which gives the answer.

The other answer is anyone who wants a device, but can't get an older model, for some reason.

What are you trying to transfer? All my shows are SD and I can live stream to my TivoHD with no problem. I don't need any faster than that.

For HD I would probably start a show 15 minutes or so before I plan to watch it.
    He mentioned KMTTG, so I think he is talking about transfers *FROM* the TiVo, not to it. That said, even with a THD, pushes of 1080i and even 720p content coded as h.264/MP4 happen faster than real-time.

Small price to pay for the benefits of a hacked Tivo but again, like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. i hear some people push instead of pull and get faster transfers
    Typically only for h.264/MP4 content. It's more than 4x as fast on a THD.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Trust me, when u have to download so many shows in 1 day and u have 1 that is 11GB, speed of transfer matter....at least to me...I see a huge difference in speed between the S3 and the S4...I need the extra speed. Could you pls suggest me another protocol to use ?
    Thank you
    It might help to tell us just what speeds you are seeing, and what you would find acceptable.

Hi lrhorer ,

I read that you included the mfs utilities into your script.
    Well, technically in the sample tarballs, but yeah, I think so. I know I included tserver.

Get , mfs_ftp and Jamie's mfs-utils , installed and ready to use after running your script ?
    I don't know what you are asking.

Please I need some direction in how to transfers recorded programs from tivo to PC .
    transfer are very slow when Using tivo desktop :-(
    There are lots of ways to skin that cat. For one thing, you could get an original S3 and hack it. It's significantly faster than a THD, althuugh it is no speed demon.. These days I just use kmttg. It's no faster than TDT, but it is so convenient I am more than willing to live with somewhat slower transfers.

One way would be to use one of Jamie's kernels with the backported USB drivers and a USB => Gig-E adapter. He has reported speeds somewhat over 100 Mbps, but that is using one of the tystream transfer utilities, like mfs_ftp. I don't know how much faster, if at all, a hardware-only solution would be.

What I used to do is use tserver and TyTool. It's about 3x faster than the TTG protocol. For instructions on installing and running TyTool, see my signature line. The thing is, with any tystream transfer tool like mfs_ftp and tserver, you will need to decode the stream after you transfer it with something like s3tots. I had an automated script which did that. The other thing is, with those utilities, you will need to implement the noencryption hack on the TiVo running tserver. The down side of that is: no more MRV with a Premiere, if that matters to you. I'm not sure if the no_MEK hack can be substituted for noencryption when running tserver or mfs_ftp.

Here is the script I used:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    videofilein=$(echo $1 | sed 's/.\///')
    videofileout=$(echo $1 | sed 's/.\///' | sed 's/\.ty//' | sed s'/- -/ -/' | sed 's/ /\ /')
    videofileout=$videofileout.ts

sourcedir=/RAID/Server-Main/Movies/TiVo_HD/
    targetdir=/RAID/Server-Main/Movies/TiVo_VRD/
    baddir=/RAID/Server-Main/Movies/TiVo_TS_Error/

echo Transcoding $videofilein to $videofileout                                                                                                           
    echo ------------------------ `date` -------------------------------------- >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.log                                    
    s3tots -i "$sourcedir$videofilein"  -o  "$targetdir$videofileout" 2>> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.log                                             
    return=$?                                                                                                                                                
    echo Exit Code: $return >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.log                                                                                        
    if [ $return -gt 0 ];                                                                                                                                    
    then                                                                                                                                                     
            mv "$sourcedir$videofilein" "$baddir"                                                                                                            
            echo ------------------------ `date` -------------------------------------- >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.err                            
            echo $videofilein >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.err                                                                                      
            echo Exit Code: $return >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.err;                                                                               
    else                                                                                                                                                     
            echo Removing $videofilein                                                                                                                       
            rm "$sourcedir$videofilein"                                                                                                                      
            echo `date` $videofilein >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/transcode.log                                                                            

fi
    This was in turn called by a simple cron job that checked for the presence of tystream files.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 09-19-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    Well, it is what it is. I have cycling videos that have been 20Gigs or more that I download. That is why I am saying the automation really helps. You just put them in a queue and process them when they are done. I would love it to download faster, but it doesn't so that's all there is to it. Or hack a premiere. I think you can get faster downloads by using other programs, but then you have to decode them and such which is a pain so most S3 owners just fall back on kmttg or their own scripts to deal with it. If you download it faster but have to convert each file, what are you really saving?

I can tell you having had my S3 for a long time and downloading lots and lots of shows (I think I have over 9K reprocessed to mkv or whatever) that you just learn to live with it, because you have to. The tivo limits the speed so it can stream and do everything else.

I will also say, my HD is way more stable than my premiere so even though the premiere has high dl speeds, I can only record about 12 channels on it. My HD can record anything so guess which unit I pull the most shows from.

Anyway, we are kinda out of the field of this thread. Back to how to hack....
    Thank you for the reply.
    I have mainly not protected programs. For protected programs I was using a

http://www.brite-view.com/product.php?P=9#.Uj4Djj8QM1I

So I had to play the show and while playing on the tivo premiere , it was recording on the devise.... in that case, the premiere is faster than the tivo s3....in my particular case for the show I record.
    Also the remote recording :-(
    I lost it with the s3 :-( the tivo iphone app does not work on the s3 :-(

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    Well, technically in the sample tarballs, but yeah, I think so. I know I included tserver.

I don't know what you are asking.

There are lots of ways to skin that cat. For one thing, you could get an original S3 and hack it. It's significantly faster than a THD, althuugh it is no speed demon.. These days I just use kmttg. It's no faster than TDT, but it is so convenient I am more than willing to live with somewhat slower transfers.

One way would be to use one of Jamie's kernels with the backported USB drivers and a USB => Gig-E adapter. He has reported speeds somewhat over 100 Mbps, but that is using one of the tystream transfer utilities, like mfs_ftp. I don't know how much faster, if at all, a hardware-only solution would be.

What I used to do is use tserver and TyTool. It's about 3x faster than the TTG protocol. For instructions on installing and running TyTool, see my signature line. The thing is, with any tystream transfer tool like mfs_ftp and tserver, you will need to decode the stream after you transfer it with something like s3tots. I had an automated script which did that. The other thing is, with those utilities, you will need to implement the noencryption hack on the TiVo running tserver. The down side of that is: no more MRV with a Premiere, if that matters to you. I'm not sure if the no_MEK hack can be substituted for noencryption when running tserver or mfs_ftp.

Here is the script I used:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    videofilein=$(echo $1 | sed 's/.\///')
    videofileout=$(echo $1 | sed 's/.\///' | sed 's/\.ty//' | sed s'/- -/ -/' | sed 's/ /\ /')
    videofileout=$videofileout.ts

sourcedir=/RAID/Server-Main/Movies/TiVo_HD/
    targetdir=/RAID/Server-Main/Movies/TiVo_VRD/
    baddir=/RAID/Server-Main/Movies/TiVo_TS_Error/

echo Transcoding $videofilein to $videofileout                                                                                                           
    echo ------------------------ `date` -------------------------------------- >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.log                                    
    s3tots -i "$sourcedir$videofilein"  -o  "$targetdir$videofileout" 2>> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.log                                             
    return=$?                                                                                                                                                
    echo Exit Code: $return >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.log                                                                                        
    if [ $return -gt 0 ];                                                                                                                                    
    then                                                                                                                                                     
            mv "$sourcedir$videofilein" "$baddir"                                                                                                            
            echo ------------------------ `date` -------------------------------------- >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.err                            
            echo $videofilein >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.err                                                                                      
            echo Exit Code: $return >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/s3tots.err;                                                                               
    else                                                                                                                                                     
            echo Removing $videofilein                                                                                                                       
            rm "$sourcedir$videofilein"                                                                                                                      
            echo `date` $videofilein >> /usr/share/VideoScribe/Logs/transcode.log                                                                            

fi
    This was in turn called by a simple cron job that checked for the presence of tystream files.
    It sounds to me that in the end the transfer would be faster but adding to that what I should do to the raw file (encoding etc.) I would end up with the same time of transfer :-(
    I do not know how to check the speed of transfer in mbps in Tivo desktop, but I can tell u that with the s3HD it takes me about 3 times more the amount of the time it takes me with the premier, to move an 11GB file (3h vs 50min).....
    Last edited by marcolisi; 09-22-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Thank you for the reply.
    I have mainly not protected programs. For protected programs I was using a

http://www.brite-view.com/product.php?P=9#.Uj4Djj8QM1I

So I had to play the show and while playing on the tivo premiere , it was recording on the devise.... in that case, the premiere is faster than the tivo s3....in my particular case for the show I record.
    Also the remote recording :-(
    I lost it with the s3 :-( the tivo iphone app does not work on the s3 :-(
    I used to do a similar thing via the TiVo, or even a cable box with the hd dvr from hauppage and still use it every so often if I want to capture Netflix off something or whatever, but it is way more of a pain to setup and coordinate than just downloading shows off the TiVo Hd and on my setup, the raw TiVo file is less compression in general so better quality. Even if you record on both your tuners non stop on the HD, you would still be able to download the shows and keep up, I know, I have done it.

In my house, the premiere is only used for non protected stuff and wife shows. Yes the download is faster but on my cable system, almost every channel but the basic networks-abc-CBS, etc is protected, in violation of FCC but it is anyway.

Plus with the HD, you can record 2 shows at once, if you use the external solutions like the hd dvr capture of the TiVo, it's one show at a time so still not so great. I really only tolerate my premiere. I love my HD and one big part of that is tivowebplus. It makes scheduling so much better. You would think TiVo would come out with an official version of it, but noooooo, they keep worrying about stup streaming to iPad and such that is counter to why I own a TiVo.

Also, the TiVo app does control an s3 and Hd TiVo, just not well and doesn't schedule well. Another thing they should have fixed long ago but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
    I used to do a similar thing via the TiVo, or even a cable box with the hd dvr from hauppage and still use it every so often if I want to capture Netflix off something or whatever, but it is way more of a pain to setup and coordinate than just downloading shows off the TiVo Hd and on my setup, the raw TiVo file is less compression in general so better quality. Even if you record on both your tuners non stop on the HD, you would still be able to download the shows and keep up, I know, I have done it.

In my house, the premiere is only used for non protected stuff and wife shows. Yes the download is faster but on my cable system, almost every channel but the basic networks-abc-CBS, etc is protected, in violation of FCC but it is anyway.

Plus with the HD, you can record 2 shows at once, if you use the external solutions like the hd dvr capture of the TiVo, it's one show at a time so still not so great. I really only tolerate my premiere. I love my HD and one big part of that is tivowebplus. It makes scheduling so much better. You would think TiVo would come out with an official version of it, but noooooo, they keep worrying about stup streaming to iPad and such that is counter to why I own a TiVo.

Also, the TiVo app does control an s3 and Hd TiVo, just not well and doesn't schedule well. Another thing they should have fixed long ago but whatever.
    I have few questions:

- do u pay 2 tivo services to have the s3HD and the premiere working at the same time or u just have 2 cards ?

- Tivo app for iphone, does not let me schedule/record in real time last minute shows :-( I can do it with the tivo online web page, but I believe u have to do it 1h before the show starts.

- About tivowebplus , does allow u to record in real time ?

Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    your /hacks directory should look very much like this:

Code:
    Backup:/hack# ls -l
    total 3692
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  431640 Oct  5  2004 bootpage
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     328 Aug 26 17:30 hacks.fil
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    5443 Aug 26 17:21 hack_tivo
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    3677 Aug 26 17:24 hack_tivoapp
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     432 Aug 26 16:48 null-linuxrc.img.gz
    -rwxrwxr-x 1  500  501    6573 Feb  2  2007 replace_initrd.x86
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2820678 Aug 26 17:30 tivohacks64.tar.gz
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  475996 May 30  2004 tivopart
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Aug 26 17:09 zipfiles
    I'm not seeing the zipfiles as I go through this and I have lost track of where it came from. I pretty much understand what's going on and everything seems OK but the zipflles thing is confusing me.
    Last edited by Roger Dylan; 11-09-2013 at 05:09 AM.

Updating Tivo software version

I have a hacked S3 running the 11.0k software. It was hacked using lrhorer's wonderful scripts from post #39. I also blocked software updates by setting upgradesoftware=false in the bootpage. I recently noticed that the video on demand menu is not working, so I think I need to update the Tivo software to version 11.0m.

I have never done an update before, so I want to make sure I have the correct procedure before I do anything. I just verified that I can access the telnet and ftp servers running on the Tivo box. I would like to update the software in-place on the live Tivo instead of pulling the drive. The Tivo is not currently doing nightly reboots.

Here's what I think I need to do:

1) Remove upgradesoftware=false from bootpage
    2) Reboot
    3) Wait for software update to happen
    4) Use lrhorer's hack_tivoapp to apply 11.0m hacks to tivoapp
    5) Reboot

This assumes that the update to 11.0m will not alter the kernel or other modifications performed by the hack_tivo script, including the telnet and ftp servers.

Is this correct? If not, I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

DO NOT PROCEED IN THAT ORDER! If you allow the software update to happen without preparing your installation first, you will lose your hacks and shell access. Please read up on the upgrade procedure, to save yourself the headache of pulling the drive. In a nutshell, the script will be run before you reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by chumley View Post
    I have a hacked S3 running the 11.0k software. It was hacked using lrhorer's wonderful scripts from post #39. I also blocked software updates by setting upgradesoftware=false in the bootpage. I recently noticed that the video on demand menu is not working, so I think I need to update the Tivo software to version 11.0m.

I have never done an update before, so I want to make sure I have the correct procedure before I do anything. I just verified that I can access the telnet and ftp servers running on the Tivo box. I would like to update the software in-place on the live Tivo instead of pulling the drive. The Tivo is not currently doing nightly reboots.

Here's what I think I need to do:

1) Remove upgradesoftware=false from bootpage
    2) Reboot
    3) Wait for software update to happen
    4) Use lrhorer's hack_tivoapp to apply 11.0m hacks to tivoapp
    5) Reboot

This assumes that the update to 11.0m will not alter the kernel or other modifications performed by the hack_tivo script, including the telnet and ftp servers.

Is this correct? If not, I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    DO NOT PROCEED IN THAT ORDER! If you allow the software update to happen without preparing your installation first, you will lose your hacks and shell access. Please read up on the upgrade procedure, to save yourself the headache of pulling the drive. In a nutshell, the script will be run before you reboot.
    Thank you! In my previous search I hadn't found any info about the upgrade procedure, but after further searching I found this thread:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ipted-upgrades

Looks like it's more complicated than I initially thought, which actually makes more sense.

I'm still not clear on how to get the Tivo into the state where the new software has been downloaded and is ready to be hacked before reboot. I tried this:
    1) neutered /tvbin/installSw.itcl to remove the reboot
    2) remove upgradesoftware=false from bootpage
    3) reboot
    4) force several connections to Tivo service

But it didn't download the new 11.0m software as far as I could tell. I'm assuming that it should download the new software and go into the "pending restart" state before I can proceed with the manual upgrade.

Should the new software get downloaded even while upgradesoftware=false is set? I've seen other people say their box had downloaded new software and is doing nightly reboots, but mine has not done that.

For now I have restored upgradesoftware=false (and rebooted again) because I don't want anything to happen while I'm not here to deal with it.

Thanks in advance for any additional guidance!

Quote Originally Posted by chumley View Post
    Thank you! In my previous search I hadn't found any info about the upgrade procedure, but after further searching I found this thread:

Should the new software get downloaded even while upgradesoftware=false is set? I've seen other people say their box had downloaded new software and is doing nightly reboots, but mine has not done that.

For now I have restored upgradesoftware=false (and rebooted again) because I don't want anything to happen while I'm not here to deal with it.

Thanks in advance for any additional guidance!
    Yes, it will still come down, the bootpage flag only prevents installing it. Once it comes down, and see "reboot pending", you'll get nightly reboots unless you used 'nothanks'.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fatboy View Post
    Yes, it will still come down, the bootpage flag only prevents installing it. Once it comes down, and see "reboot pending", you'll get nightly reboots unless you used 'nothanks'.
    Thank you! Yes I do have the nothanks patch installed, thanks for the reminder. I'm embarrassed to admit that I had forgotten what that one does.

For the benefit of others, here's another relevant post on the subject. (This thread in general is a good reference on the topic of upgrading.)
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...061#post310061

Which says:
    "You should also take this opportunity to set "upgradesoftware=false" in your bootpage parameters. THAT will prevent the Tivo from invoking installSw.itcl and installing the new software next time, but your box will still reboot every night at 2am after it downloads the new software. To prevent THAT, apply the nothanks tivoapp patch."

I think what's going on here is that the nothanks hack is not only preventing the daily reboots, it also prevents the "pending restart" state. From the command below, it appears that my Tivo already downloaded the 11.0m software on 8/31 and has been is happily ignoring it since.

Code:
    bash-2.02# echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
    Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name                      Type        FsId      Date  Time   Size
        ----                      ----        ----      ----  ----   ----
        11.0k-01-2-652            tyDb     1357227  03/03/11 11:03    908
        11.0m-01-2-652            tyDb     4269291  08/31/13 17:46    884
        ACTIVE                    tyDb     1357227  03/03/11 11:03    908
    So unless I'm still misunderstanding something, I think I can proceed to install the update via installSw.itcl, followed by something like lhorer's postinstall script as discussed in this thread.

Am I on the right track now?

Thanks so much for the help! I'm trying to capture the relevant answers here for the benefit of others.

I'll add that the only 2 issues I've noticed with version 11.0k are that the Video on Demand menu and Tivo Search do not work. Other functions including transfers from pyTivo seem to be working normally, so it's not absolutely necessary to update to 11.0m yet.