Thread: quick question HD PVR lifetime subscription

quick question HD PVR lifetime subscription

Hi Just a quick question currently running a Tivo and subbing dtv. I did perform the lifetime sub hack on my tivo so it dosent have to call in everyday cause this is not possible where I live, however Im thinking of upgrading to a HD PVR and wondering if this is still possible.If so if someone could just post a link or tell me what models are working with it. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks

There is no lifetime sub hack for the DTivo or HDTivo. You must pay for the DVR service regardless of which model you own. The original S1 DTivos used a hack called fixsub which would indicate lifetime service in the system information screen and would allow you to get free DVR service with the old Hu cards. This was actually the original nophone/fakecall hack and was meant to eliminate the nag messages associated with not dialing out. Once the Hu datastream was shut off so was the free ride for those that took that path. Now you have to pay to play, plain and simple.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Yep thats exactly what I was talking about, I have no prob;ems paying for it, thing is I cant dial out in Canada, so when I went legit and subbed the tivo, I subbed it as is and when I go into see when the last succesful call on the tivo was it says today, which obviously is wrong as no phone line hooked up, Iam paying for the service so I thought maybe I could do the same thing with a HD DVR pay for it but avoid it having to call in daily..

Thanks

I have not personally verified this, but my information is the HR20-700 does not require a phone line unless you wish to order PPV via the remote.
    PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

cool thanks PlainBill looking into this now. Thats the only thing for me dont mind paying for service its worth it, just trying to get around the call in. Will do some searching on that particular model and will report back.

Thanks

No phone line needed for the HR20. All downloads come from the Sat and are initiated the same way. If you want to order PPV you would have to do it online if you don't have a phone connection.

That's true. The HR20 does not need a phone line connected. I guess DTV finally abandoned that requirement since there were so many DVR owners that circumvented that requirement and left the phone disconnected. Lots of people have switched over to cell phones for their calling needs and no longer have landlines available in their households.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Cool thanks huys looked into it too and thats going to be my newest purchase

Thanks for all your help

quick question about this model. Is this as good as the tivo options wise, I remeber DTV's version of their UTV and didnt hold a candle to the Tivo, just curious before I buy.

Thanks

It's a tossup. Each has advantages. Installing a new drive into an HR20-700 is a piece of cake. Extraction is not possible yet. It has a 'gas gauge' which show the amount of free space on the drive. It is faster. And it receives MPEG4 video information from the satellite.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

So finally got my HR20-700's ordered 2. Hooked the first one up no problems updated my dish, getting preview channels etc telling me to activate. Sound and picture were good. Hooked up second one to same tv and same connections first one had when it was working fine(component cable and optical sound) and I get picture but major interference with sound, Im talking like louds cracks, chirping, chipmunk sort of like. I then tried my HDMI cable same thing, also tried through kjust regualr hook up svdeo and rca jacks, once again same thing. I tried reset button inside card slot and reset everything on menu screen like 5 times still same thing. It did download the latest software 0145 I think. Anyways wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. I havent activated it yet as Im in Canada and dont know how Im going to send it back if I have to, so I contacted the guy on ebay where I got them from, he says they can be trouble some when you forst hook them up, but the stupid thing is the other one worked flawlessly, any ideas?

Thanks Alot in Advance

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyman20000 View Post
    So finally got my HR20-700's ordered 2. Hooked the first one up no problems updated my dish, getting preview channels etc telling me to activate. Sound and picture were good. Hooked up second one to same tv and same connections first one had when it was working fine(component cable and optical sound) and I get picture but major interference with sound, Im talking like louds cracks, chirping, chipmunk sort of like. I then tried my HDMI cable same thing, also tried through kjust regualr hook up svdeo and rca jacks, once again same thing. I tried reset button inside card slot and reset everything on menu screen like 5 times still same thing. It did download the latest software 0145 I think. Anyways wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. I havent activated it yet as Im in Canada and dont know how Im going to send it back if I have to, so I contacted the guy on ebay where I got them from, he says they can be trouble some when you forst hook them up, but the stupid thing is the other one worked flawlessly, any ideas?

Thanks Alot in Advance
    Yeah, I'd say it's virtually certain the second one is bad. You did a pretty good job of eliminating cables, connectors, etc.

PlainBill