Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: Full Service PROM Modification

I'll post about my experience once I get back to town and get to play with the S2DT. My TiVo should be waiting for me at my apartment managers office when I get back Monday.

Now that DHL has *finally* delivered the S2DT TiVo, I can start playing.

The TiVo booted up just fine. The workmanship is good, the installation clean and tidy. I'm pleased with the job Omikron has done.

I'll be hacking the drive later in the week.

I'm considering an S3 and would most likely have Omikron do it since I don't dare think of doing it myself. Now if only I could convince myself to go for the S3...

Using mrblack51's replace_initrd tool from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...20&postcount=1 got me a bash prompt...

Now to start playing.

Quote Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post
    Using mrblack51's replace_initrd tool from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...20&postcount=1 got me a bash prompt...

Now to start playing.
    I'm glad to hear that! Good luck!

Omikron, I have the rs-tx20 also, and am very interested in your offer. If it's not too off-topic, could you briefly tell me what the benefits of the prom mod are for the tx20? I assume one would be the ability to record unencrypted and then ftp it to your pc instead of burning to dvd?
    I also noticed your other thread where you are attempting to add memory/RAM to your tx20, so I'd be interested to hear if it worked and what the benefit would be. :-)
    Sadly, my tivo died a couple days ago (won't boot past "Just a few more minutes..."), so I am close to buying a new hard drive, and it looks like I'll have to shell out the 20 bucks for the tx20 version instantcake software since I haven't been able to find it anywhere, and I don't know anyone with a tx20 image...
    THANKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by walkjac View Post
    Omikron, I have the rs-tx20 also, and am very interested in your offer. If it's not too off-topic, could you briefly tell me what the benefits of the prom mod are for the tx20? I assume one would be the ability to record unencrypted and then ftp it to your pc instead of burning to dvd?
    I also noticed your other thread where you are attempting to add memory/RAM to your tx20, so I'd be interested to hear if it worked and what the benefit would be. :-)
    Sadly, my tivo died a couple days ago (won't boot past "Just a few more minutes..."), so I am close to buying a new hard drive, and it looks like I'll have to shell out the 20 bucks for the tx20 version instantcake software since I haven't been able to find it anywhere, and I don't know anyone with a tx20 image...
    THANKS!!
    Well, you seem you have found the major benefits of hacking your TiVo, but the primary purpose of the PROM is actually just to ALLOW you to change the software. What you change is up to you. A fairly popular hack seems to be TivoWebPlus, which has adds an absolutely fantastic HTTP interface to your unit. Other minor advantages include things like patching your tivoapp file to include "30 Second Skip" and other backdoors without having to enter them each time after reboot, or adding CallerID capability. The hacks will require some work and study, but are certainly worth the effort.

In regards to the RAM upgrade, that is a project that is still in progress. If I do ever offer RAM upgrades to others, it will only be after I've perfected the process and ensured stability. Benefits of a RAM upgrade might include more breathing room for your hacks to run, although I will not be able to verify actual real world performance benefits until I do some of my own testing.

As far as your drive image goes, I might be able to image your drive for you with a stock image. I've sent you a PM with some possibilities.

pm sent!
    Edit: Tivo sent priority-mail on Friday.
    Last edited by walkjac; 04-23-2007 at 03:21 PM.

I'm in for 1

Tivo Sent.

My Humax HRT-400 could use some further integration into my network. I sent the full unit to Omikron on Friday.

Don't use FedEx Home Delivery

I went to pick up a TiVo from the FedEx Home Delivery facility yesterday, and it was quite interesting. The facility I picked up the package from wasn’t a real FedEx facility but some random warehouse space that FedEx has leased in some hole in the wall. The door had a “FedEx Home Delivery” dog on the front and led directly into a large but 95% empty warehouse space. In the front area, there was a small cage built out of chain-link fence. The “door” to this cage was unlocked and wide open, with lots of small packages inside. Mind you, at this point I’m just walking around the warehouse looking for someone to help me. I couldn’t find ANYONE.

Eventually, some guy walks through another door and asked me if he could help me, at which point I asked to pick up my package. He simply asked for my city and address and handed the package to me. I did have to sign his pad, but he never checked my ID. The whole experience was quite alarming and frustrating. Needless to say, I promptly called FedEx on the way home and filed a formal complaint against the facility.

So the moral of the story is, if you're going to use FedEx, don't send it via Home Delivery!

I've updated and added some pictures of the serial jack installed on my Series3. Unfortunately, the jack is offset to the right just enough to bother me if I had to look at it all day, but not so much to consider it a bad job. Overall, I have to say that I'm quite satisfied with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    I've updated and added some pictures of the serial jack installed on my Series3. Unfortunately, the jack is offset to the right just enough to bother me if I had to look at it all day, but not so much to consider it a bad job. Overall, I have to say that I'm quite satisfied with the results.
    Jeez, man! Get it right next time, huh?

Got my unit back from Omikron a couple days ago, and the socketing looks great! Tivo is running fine, but I've been in the middle of final exams, so haven't had time for hacks yet...

Humax HRT back...

Got the Humax back from Omikron yesterday. Fired up fine and jacked into the network. I'll be updating it this weekend, but looks like top notch work. Well worth the investment.

-Beef5stew

Shipping instructions updated once again....

Please don't use packing peanuts, and use packing that is easily reusable and resealable.