Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: Full Service PROM Modification

Hi Omikron - dropped you a PM, eagerly awaiting your return....

Okay I sent you a pm as well

Okay, okay! I'm back!

*whew*

I just finished replying to about 15 PM's... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
    Each month will have two "PROM Days." These days will be Saturdays. If I receive your TiVo anytime the day before PROM Day, your TiVo WILL get completed on Saturday and will be shipped out Monday. If your TiVo arrives on PROM Day, I may get it done, I may not. If your TiVo arrives after PROM Day, it will sit, still sealed, untouched, until the next PROM Day. Orders for PROM chips will work the same way.

The reason for this change is simple. While I enjoy being involved with the community and helping people out, the "compensation" is quite poor for the amount of time it takes me to receive a TiVo, unpack it, set up the workspace, pretest the TiVo, rework the TiVo, retest the TiVo, repack it, and reship it. It gets much worse when you have no set schedule for providing the service, and shipments are completely sporadic. Rather than simply stop offering the service and leave people out in the cold, I've decided to streamline it. This way, people who still need the service may benefit from it, and I can manage my time and expectations without disappointing people when their TiVo takes an extra few days to process due to personal schedules.

Effective immediately I also have available a limited number of TTL/RS-232 converter cables for TiVo HD units. They are identical to the existing Series3 Serial Jacks but have a 4-pin header and additional TTL conversion circuitry. The price is set at $30 with no additional cost for installation if I am already working on your TiVo for something else. The price is more than you would pay than if you were hack together your own cable with a converter from eBay, but I've put some effort into making these cables and when installed internally they will make your serial jack look like it was installed at the factory. I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my hacks. ;-)

That is all for now!
    Because of personal delays no one was able to actually make the first PROM Day, so I'm moving it back to November 3rd. If you need a chip or need work done, make sure you get in touch with me soon.

The first PROM Day was a success! The next PROM Day is set for November 17th, although with the way the schedule is looking there might be a small delay in shipping. Units may not be shipped out until the Thursday following PROM Day.

I got back my third prom-hacked 649 from you yesterday.

It works great, just like the other two did.

Thanks!

I also got my prom-hacked Humax back from Okimron yesterday. Good work and fast service. He even called twice (once before and once after) to cover a couple of issues with my machine . Thanks for the help! I'll have my other unit converted soon.

I'll throw in my good words too. Although I've PROM'd a few tivo's myself, the last few I've sent off to Omikron, and he's done great and prompt work with plenty of communication to keep me informed of the status.

Ditto. I just got back my Series 3 and it looked mint. Worked just great after upgrading it to 1 terabyte.

I too sent my series 2 motherboard to Omikron to have a modified
    prom & socket installed, and everything came back working perfectly.

thanks Omikron!

The next PROM Day is December 1st, and will be the last one before Christmas.

I got my Tivo back from Omikron the other day - he did a super job! Thanks!!!

I hope this isn't too far off topic (and apologies if it is). Those of you with Tivo HDs, sending in motherboards, is there some hidden clip or a trick to getting the motherboard out? I think I have all screws removed, but it is binding on something that I can't see, seems to be near the AV posts or the HDMI port.

Quote Originally Posted by angra View Post
    I hope this isn't too far off topic (and apologies if it is). Those of you with Tivo HDs, sending in motherboards, is there some hidden clip or a trick to getting the motherboard out? I think I have all screws removed, but it is binding on something that I can't see, seems to be near the AV posts or the HDMI port.
    Well, the ports themselves have some screws that attach them to the chassis. They're slightly smaller than the motherboard screws, but they are there. Make sure you remove those also.

I did finally get it. I had those screws out (T9 for reference). I have no idea _what_ was binding but after playing with the thing for a while I just set the case on its back on a flat surface so all the protrusions would be pushed in line, and it slid right out.

Thanks for the reply.