Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: TySuiteJ - GUI, Extraction, MPEG Conversion, and much much more

I noticed that if I start recording a show for 5-20 seconds and then stop the recording, if I try and download that small clip, the transfer will hang with this error below. It should probably be more graceful with errors like this and reset. You can't get anything else until you quit/restart because the transer is hung.

Clicking abort does nothing. The progress bar freezes and stops with however many seconds were remaining.

Code:
    13:36:51.171 Queued    E:\downloads\Deadliest Catch Special_ Best of Season 2.mpg
    13:36:51.187 Started   E:\downloads\Deadliest Catch Special_ Best of Season 2.mpg
    13:37:25.546 Dropping dead audio.  Last SCR: 0:02:42.244 current SCR: 0:02:42.278 Audio [0:02:01.625, 0:02:01.649, 0:02:01.673, 0:02:01.697, 0:02:01.721, ]
    13:37:25.562 Dropping dead audio.  Last SCR: 0:02:42.378 current SCR: 0:02:42.411 Audio [0:02:01.745, 0:02:01.769, 0:02:01.793, 0:02:01.817, ]

Sorry for all the posts - I have a lot coming to mind.

Another suggestion would be to delete any partial files that get downloaded from the Tivo. So if you're downloading someone that abort the transfer, you should delete the partial file on the PC that was downloaded.

Oh, heres another one.. When you download files have the metadata on the file filled out for Episode Name, Program Description, etc. Whatever info is available on the Tivo, add that to the meta data on each file because you can add those columns in Windows and it's nice to see that info if you have it. If this wasn't clear, let me know.
    Last edited by Allistah; 04-14-2007 at 08:13 PM.

OMG, I just noticed that I can't seek around in the mpg files that I get downloaded from TySuiteJ. This is -really- bad for me. I'm on the go all the time and I have to start/stop things every now and again. Not being able to pick up where I left off would pretty much kill this whole feature for me. :'-(

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I noticed that I can seek around in the .ty files so I guess I could use those until the mpg files get fixed.
    Last edited by Allistah; 04-14-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allistah View Post
    OMG, I just noticed that I can't seek around in the mpg files that I get downloaded from TySuiteJ. This is -really- bad for me. I'm on the go all the time and I have to start/stop things every now and again. Not being able to pick up where I left off would pretty much kill this whole feature for me. :'-(

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I noticed that I can seek around in the .ty files so I guess I could use those until the mpg files get fixed.
    I don't have the seek problem, but others have reported this. Assuming your are talking about WMP, the seek feature in WMP is pretty flaky. I read somewhere that it has to do with your demuxer. I would recommend VLC. IMHO, it's the best thing out there.

You might also try installing Tivo Desktop. It installs a different demuxer. (You don't actually use the Tivo Desktop software).

Requests

People have been requesting a lot of features. I agree with and like most of them but at the moment my free time is very limited. I'm going to use this post to track requests or they'll get lost. I'll update this as I get time to work on them

In the works:

Coming Soon:
    1. New tags like description and duration
    2. showing.xml extraction
    3. Transcoding non-supported media for UPNP (PS3)
    4. Vista UPNP Support

On the list:
    1. Real time streaming (streaming while recording)
    2. UI Configurator
    3. OS relative storage of application.properties (e.g. use the Windows registry)
    4. TMF Insertion
    Last edited by dburckh; 10-09-2007 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dburckh View Post
    I don't have the seek problem, but others have reported this. Assuming your are talking about WMP, the seek feature in WMP is pretty flaky. I read somewhere that it has to do with your demuxer. I would recommend VLC. IMHO, it's the best thing out there.

You might also try installing Tivo Desktop. It installs a different demuxer. (You don't actually use the Tivo Desktop software).
    I'll look that one up and give it a try. Yeah, I'm using WMP. Whats interesting though is that the .ty files seek perfectly. :-/ I'll let you know how the Tivo Desktop does.

UPDATE: I just tried MPC and I don't have the seek problems I did with WMP11.
    Last edited by Allistah; 04-14-2007 at 10:43 PM.

Some .mpg files are interlaced

Hey there..

I noticed that some of the mpgs that I download with TySuiteJ are interlaced and some are not. Is there anything that could cause this with some and not others? Is the content originally interlaced and it's getting deinterlaced on the fly when it's made into an mpg file?

Quote Originally Posted by Allistah View Post
    Hey there..

I noticed that some of the mpgs that I download with TySuiteJ are interlaced and some are not. Is there anything that could cause this with some and not others? Is the content originally interlaced and it's getting deinterlaced on the fly when it's made into an mpg file?
    I don't muck with the video or audio stream. It is how the Tivo is encoding (or DTV is sending) it. DTV seems to mix progressive with interlaced in the same showing. Most players support some sort of deinterlacing. You may have to turn it on or increase the level.

Yeah, I noticed that it was the same in the .ty file as it was in the .mpg file. How do you turn this deinterlacing on in the player?

You know how when it starts recording a show that it might catch a few seconds of the previous show? It did this and on that previous show, there was no interlacing artifacts. Then as soon as Desparate Housewives came on it appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
    just wanted to say thanks for this project.
    It seems tivotool development has stopped. With this and mpegstreamclip I'm able to author dvd's again nicely on my mac.
    Is there MPEG4 conversion in there yet? can I add it?
    Sorry for my newbie question. I pop into this forum every few months, trying to figure this out, I get to a certain point, realize that what I want to do can't be done, and I go away again. Problem is, in between, I forget all the details I learned the last time, and I have to start over again from the beginning.

So, here is what I want to do: I have a Mac (10.4.9) and a hacked, networked DTivo S2 (6.2), and I want to burn Tivo shows to a DVD. That's it, plain and simple. I have all of the utilities, like mpegstreamclip, etc. I am very familiar with telnet, FTP, etc., and I have Toast (7.0.2 and 7.1) for DVD burning. But every DVD I have ever burned is either a coaster, or the video quality is worse than an old VHS tape, or the audio is out of sync, etc. I forget all of the details at this point, other than i have spent dozens, if not hundreds, of hours trying to accomplish this over the last couple of years.

I got TyStudioJ installed and working. (Thank you dburckh!)

When you say, Gunnyman, that you can "author dvd's again nicely on my mac" could you please just give me an overall snapshot of how you do that, and what utilities are needed?

I bought Toast 7 specifically to burn Tivo shows to DVD, as that seemed at the time to be a necessary component, but it never really worked. (I use it for creating CDs and data DVDs, though.) I know there is a later version of Toast now, but, I don't want to buy that until I know that it will do something for me that version 7 won't. It seems that one of the problems i remember is that Toast would re-encode whatever i would get off of my Tivo (most recently with TivoTool), which would take hours, and would render very poor quality video. I'm willing to spend a few bucks on this, but I would like to know that what I buy will work. If I need to buy the latest version of Toast (or some other utility) to do that, I'm willing to do that. I bought the MPEG2 Quicktime decoder from Apple also.

Somehow, I got a full version of The Daily Show from last summer onto my Treo, and it plays very well (impresses my geek friends!), although I can't remember exactly the steps I took to accomplish that, but I used TivoTool, and a lot of experimentation, and possibly another utility in between (mpegstreamclip?). (I use TCPMP as the player on my Treo, in case anybody's interested.) Seems that if that can be done, it should be possible to burn a show to DVD using my Mac. I can save a show to a data DVD for playing on a PC or Mac (using TivoTool 0.5.7 as MPG-4, I think, but I'm not sure, as it has been awhile), but not to play (well) in a stand alone DVD player, and it doesn't always play on all PCs either.

So, that's it - Tivo to Mac to DVD as easily as possible. It sounds like TyStudioJ is an important link in that, and I have that working, and can save ty files to my Mac, no problem. But I don't really want to spend hours and hours again, only to find out that any DVD I create I'm embarrassed to show to my family and friends! (I have several shows on my Tivo which feature a couple of different friends, and I keep promising to them that I will figure out a way to get that on a playable DVD for them. They keep saying "well, put it on a tape" but I just can't seem to bring myself to give them something using technology from last century! And besides, I have it in such perfect, digital Satelite quality video and audio - it would be painful to give them a VHS tape!)

So, what are the next steps?

Gunnyman, or anybody who can help with this, thanks in advance for your time.

Griffin

Griffin,

No simple answers here. I'm a Windows guy until Mac Mini's support HDCP. Then I may make the jump.

You definitely have to convert to MPG. I've burned a couple DVDs without sync problems using Nero. I know that doesn't help much.

There are a couple of problems burning DTivo video to DVD. First, DTV sends video down as 480x480 and stretches it to 640x480. DVD requires 640x480. Further most DTV streams use MP3 audio, which isn't technically supported by DVD (although most do).

I'm not familiar with Toast, but you may be able to relax some of the compliance settings. I have a friend with a Mac at work. I'll see if he has Toast.

dburckh

Thanks for the response. There is an option in Toast (7) to 'Re-encode: Never' but when I select that, it still re-encodes the video, with poor results. I don't know if Toast 8 fixes that bug or not, so I was hoping somebody would have tried it before I spent money on the upgrade.

I've attached a screenshot from the custom encoding screen. I have tried a lot of different settings. The defaults are quite a bit different from this, so I must have changed them during my experimentation. I really don't understand the significance of most of these settings, so it's a shot in the dark for me. Like I said, selecting 'Re-encoding: Never' doesn't seem to make a difference, it still goes through the long re-encoding phase.

If anybody understands which of these options might make a difference, I could give it another try, when I get some time. I haven't tried burning a DVD from a file downloaded with TyStudioJ, so it's possible that the problem was in the format of the files I was downloading with TivoTool, so I suppose I should give it a try, but I was hoping somebody would have already done this, and could point the way!

Anyway thanks for the help, and I'll keep plugging away at it, just not sure when I'll have the time.

Griffin

Another round of testing

Okay, so I spent all last evening doing a bunch of tests, and the results are below. I am using a G4 Power Mac with a 1.3 Ghz processor, 1GB of Memory, OS 10.4.9. I had no other software running during any of the tests. No errors were generated during any of the testing. No speed issues either - no buffer over or under runs, etc. I used DVD-R media. I have been testing the DVDs I created by playing them on my Mac, using the built-in DVD player (not a burner) and Apple's DVD player software. I have burned them using an external Lite-on Firewire DVD R/RW burner. Max burn speed is 16X, but I have burned them all at 8x, to make sure I don't get any buffer problems. The DVD Burner is less than a year old. (I bought it after I thought that my last round of testing failures might be because my DVD burner was not up to snuff.)

I downloaded a 2.5 minute clip from my DTivo version 6.2 using TySuiteJ as an MPG file. (I just realized I was referring to it as TyStudioJ previously. Sorry.) Then I burned a DVD using Toast 7.0.2 and 7.1.2.

The video clip (mpg) plays fine on my Mac, using VLC, MPEGStreamclip and Quicktime player. No sync issues at all. None of the DVDs burned would play on my Windows XP Pro computer, nor would the downloaded mpg clip but then neither will standard DVDs, as Windows does not have a DVD player built in, and I haven't installed DVD player software, and apparently the DVD burning software that came with the DVD burner on my Windows PC will not play DVD movies. So, my Windows PC is useless when it comes to movies. (Windows Media Player gives me an error that the proper decoder is not installed, and I really do not want to load up my Windows PC with a ton of drivers. I use my Windows PC for work, and I don't want to make it any more unstable than it already is.)

But, none of the DVDs burned would play on my 5-6 year old RCA stand alone DVD player, either, which I use to play pre-recorded DVDs all the time. I know this is an old DVD player, but I want to make sure that any DVD I create will play in any DVD player, so I am concerned about this also.

In all cases, I started by selecting the automatic settings and Best quality in the Toast Settings.

Here are the results:

Using Toast 7.0.2 left on automatic, best quality: Toast re-encoded the file, which took about 7.5 minutes. This would mean that a one hour show would take about three hours to re-encode. Video seemed fine, but audio was out of sync. Same result with Toast 7.1.2

Turning off re-encoding: With all other settings left the same, I set the option: "Re-Encoding" to "Never." Toast did NOT re-encoded, just went through a quick multiplexing pass (about 5 seconds). So, the burning went through very quickly. But, I had the same Audio out of sync problem. This was the same with both 7.0.2 and 7.1.2 version of Toast. (Previous downloads using TivoTool would always be re-encoded by Toast, even with the re-encode option off, so there must be something about the format that TySuiteJ uses that is different than TivoTool.)

PCM Audio Option: The only audio setting I could change in Toast was Dolby Digital (the default) and PCM Audio. I switched the Audio settings to PCM and burned again (re-encoding off). Again, the audio was out of sync, using both 7.0.2 and 7.1.2 of Toast.

So, that's the end of my testing. Another evening of testing multiple combinations of settings, and still nothing that works. I would really appreciate hearing from anybody who has ever successfully transfered a show from their Tivo to a Mac to a DVD. Maybe Toast 8 fixes the sound sync issues, or maybe there is another DVD burning utility for Mac that works better, but I would like to know if anybody has done this, before I spend more money on this.

I have attached a screenshot from my final Toast settings, so if anybody has any suggestions for changes to them, I would be willing to give those a try.

Thanks for reading all this, and for any help.

Griffin

It looks like there is a problem with Toast and audio sync upon recoding. I think recoding has to happen unless there is an audio option for MPA/mp3. As I stated before, this isn't officially supported by DVD, but most do. You probably want to try another DVD tool if any are available.

As a last effort, you can set this flag in applications.properties:
    ui.patchFirstVideoSequence=true

It may fool Toast into not recoding the video, but usually it just screws things up.

Duplicate file names

First off, I'm happily running TySuite on a Mac to fetch .tys!

FWIW, I then run them through tytompeg, then VideoReDo and MF6 under windows to make HVDVD_TS folders, which I then burn with Disco for my HD-A2... life is good. Complicated, but good.

A small feature request:

It appears that if there are two shows with the same name, TySuite will overwrite them when doing a multiple extract.

Could you add a sequence number if the file already exists? Failing that, adding the date and time to the filename will solve the problem.

(actually, giving us a set of variables and control of the filename in application.properties would be fantastic, and easier than providing a UI for customizing filenames.)

Thanks again, this is a great piece of software, and I know I'm only using a small corner of it.