Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: TySuiteJ - GUI, Extraction, MPEG Conversion, and much much more

Quote Originally Posted by Sbmocp View Post
    matter1967,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Perhaps I'm a bit confused by TySuiteJ's options. If I select a program by clicking on it in the GUI, then select the 'Save As' button, I'm given a number of choices. Am I correct that this uses ffmpeg to convert as it saves? If so, how do you download a file w/o using ffmpeg to save it as an .mpg file?
    It only uses ffmpeg for certain profiles. You can see the list in application.properties. Anything you don't see in "Transcoder.profile..." will be native.
    If you use the MPG button it will use TSJ's native MPG remuxer, guaranteed.
    By the way, I'm going to try and setup mencoder to be used instead of ffmpeg to smooth the process a bit. I know you didn't have much luck with doing that--what type of error(s) did you get when you tried it?
    This is a little tricky. Errors may go to the console or to the encode_out.txt file in the directory.

So, I have several questions.

1) Is this 'jerky' problem related to DTV's playing w/the frame rate? If so, is there a workaround/fix?
    The last 9xxx version seems to fix this
    2) What's the difference between the 'DVD' and 'default' .mpg files?
    DVD re-encodes the video to be 100% DVD compliant. There are several things "wrong" with DTV video that make it not DVD compliant. The TSJ remuxer just doesn't not alter the video or audio, it just repackages it.
    3) If I've recorded something with AC3 multichannel audio, is that audio stream preserved for DVD writing when I pull it down?
    yes

matter1967,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Perhaps I'm a bit confused by TySuiteJ's options. If I select a program by clicking on it in the GUI, then select the 'Save As' button, I'm given a number of choices. Am I correct that this uses ffmpeg to convert as it saves? If so, how do you download a file w/o using ffmpeg to save it as an .mpg file?

By the way, I'm going to try and setup mencoder to be used instead of ffmpeg to smooth the process a bit. I know you didn't have much luck with doing that--what type of error(s) did you get when you tried it?
    I see the confusion. I am not using ui.cmd to extract the files. I use the extract.cmd. In your ui.cmd case, you would just click on the "mpg" button next to the "ty" button. Then use mencoder to convert the file after it has been downloaded. It would be nice to get mencoder to convert the stream as it comes down, but I could not get STDIN to do that. It would just hang. I tried using the -cache option with mencoder, but it only goes until the cache is filled up and never converts the file. Below is the my failed attempted to get mencoder to convert the stream. In this case, you would select the "Save as" and then "iPod Tivo" format (see the Transcoder.profile.ipodMobile line). Yours would be a little different as you are not going for the ipod Format.

Transcoder.engines=mencoder
    Transcoder.engine.mencoder=cmd,/c,.\\mencoder.exe {Options} 2> encoder_out.txt
    Transcoder.profiles=ipodMobile,dvd
    Transcoder.profile.ipodMobile=iPod Tivo,mencoder,mp4,- -o "{OutputFile}" -sws 9 -vf harddup -oac faac -faacopts br=128:mpeg=4bject=2:raw -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=400:vbv_maxrate=1000:vbv_bufsize=2000:nocabac:level_idc=13:global_header:threads=auto -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4 -vf scale=320:240 -quiet

I have been using ffmpeg.rev9767, and I was still getting some jerky video. It could have been my java, I was only a few centuries behind in version level. I have updated java and I will also try the updated profile:

Transcoder.profile.ipodMobile=iPod,ffmpeg,mov,-deinterlace -y -i - -vcodec libxvid -s 320x240 -r 30000/1001 -bufsize 524288 -qscale 1 -acodec libfaac -ab 96k -ac 2 -async 1 -title "{Title}" "{OutputFile}"

Looks like the 30000/1001 rate should compensate for the dropped frames. I thought I did try this, but I have a memory like a goldfish.

dburckh--

Thanks for the illumination. I understand how things work a bit better now. I've been using v9767 of ffmpeg as suggested in an earlier message as I was getting the Java i/o error. So, on my end that version doesn't fix the problem. I wonder why the newer versions cause that i/o error? There's also a version discrepancy I mention below that may affect the problem.

matter1967,

I somehow thought you might not be using the GUI command. I've tried clicking the MPG button as you mention, and the status box in TySuiteJ shows that the file is 'streaming,' but I didn't know where it was streaming to so I'd end up aborting the process.

I'd looked at my installed programs to check my Java version, and it showed two things: v1.4-something JRE was installed, and then version 6-something was also installed (which I think was the complete Java development suite). I'm not in front of that PC right now so I can't verify. Perhaps I should completely uninstall Java then re-install the latest downloadable stable version and try the newest ffmpeg. I can also try the 30000/1001 parameter you mention and see if that helps.

One other thing I noticed when attempting playback...in video scenes where there is action (panning and/or motion) I get tearing of the picture. Vertical lines become very jagged/wavy, in other words. I read somewhere in the last couple of days that someone else had a similar-sounding problem. THey were told that is most likely because they were viewing an interlaced video for a TV on a non-interlaced monitor. Does that sound like what I'm experiencing, and is that just a DirecTV-video aberration? It would suck if I couldn't stream that video to a net-connected computer to watch it.

Look at the application.properties files for "ui.downloads=". That is where the ui is downloading the file.

Upgrading java probably won't hurt, but the Java IO error is probably something to do with your application.properties, like ffmpeg not in the path, or the download directory doesn't exist. Something like that. Check out encoder_out.txt for some clues.

Using a version of ffmpeg higher than ffmpeg.rev9767 will produce some bad audio sync issues.

I updated my java, and the ui is very pretty indeed. However, I still get somewhat jerky videos with ffmpeg. It is not bad, but I like the mencoder video results much better. I also like the quality of h264 for the size. Also, I am too lazy to try and figure out another way. Getting mencoder to work was like pulling teeth, all those options.

The tearing thing sounds a little odd. You should be able to stream from the Tivo right to a computer. I do it, it looks fine to me. I also stream it to my HDTV, can't even tell that the Tivo is not directly attached to it. VLC works pretty well for me. I can't complain, and I like the price.

dburckh--

Thanks for the illumination. I understand how things work a bit better now. I've been using v9767 of ffmpeg as suggested in an earlier message as I was getting the Java i/o error. So, on my end that version doesn't fix the problem. I wonder why the newer versions cause that i/o error? There's also a version discrepancy I mention below that may affect the problem.
    The I/O Error probably means ffmpeg isn't installed correctly. You are either missing a .dll or it's in the wrong spot. Try to just run it at the command line, that should give you a clue.

Update

dburckh, matter1967--

A quick status update this a.m. while its fresh in my mind...

I didn't get a lot of time to experiment last evening (very b-a-d night), but here's what I did find out. First, I completely uninstalled Java and re-installed the latest JRE (they call it v6), then d/l'ed the latest ffmpeg and installed it. I placed ffmpeg and its associated .dll in ..\Program Files\TySuiteJ\ffmpeg. matter1967, I also added your two parameters for bufsize and the -r values in your example file. Very weird results...to say there was an audio delay is an understatement. The video played as if it were in slow motion while the audio continued at normal speed. By the end of the transferred segment the audio was so far out of sync it wasn't even funny. I tried running it through VideoReDo and doing a Quickstream fix to no avail.

I then removed the latest ffmpeg and re-installed v9767. I had to terminate testing not long after downloading another test segment, but the audio sync issue went away (of course) and, to my eye at least, the drop-frame problem still exists. I just recorded a 70minute segment from CNN this morning that I'll test with tonight. It should be perfect for testing...lots of talking head shots and a continuous crawl at the bottom of the screen. Any sync/frams issues should be very obvious. I'll post tonight what I find out.

I then removed the latest ffmpeg and re-installed v9767. I had to terminate testing not long after downloading another test segment, but the audio sync issue went away (of course) and, to my eye at least, the drop-frame problem still exists. I just recorded a 70minute segment from CNN this morning that I'll test with tonight. It should be perfect for testing...lots of talking head shots and a continuous crawl at the bottom of the screen. Any sync/frams issues should be very obvious. I'll post tonight what I find out.
    Yes, any version of ffmpeg higher that v9767 will have horrid audio sync issues. I was not able to get ffmpeg to create a smooth video, hence the mencoder conversion. If you get ffmpeg to work, let me know. I would like to use it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dburckh View Post
    The I/O Error probably means ffmpeg isn't installed correctly. You are either missing a .dll or it's in the wrong spot. Try to just run it at the command line, that should give you a clue.
    I am also getting the i/o error -- more specifically this one:
    22:24:41.984 java.io.IOException: The pipe has been ended
    I am able to use the MPEG button, but when I attempt the Save As (and select DVD Video) I get the above error. I placed ffmpeg.exe, ffplay.exe, and pthreadGC2.dll in C:\\Program Files\TySuiteJ\ffmpeg. I ran ffmpeg (version 9767) from the command line and it seemed to work fine. I looked application.properties and didn't see where to specify a path for ffmpeg -- so I at a bit of a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by bcm00re View Post
    I looked application.properties and didn't see where to specify a path for ffmpeg -- so I at a bit of a loss.
    application.properties has the location of ffmpeg, it is relative to where ui.cmd is. In the below example, ffmpeg.exe is in a folder under TySuiteJ called ffmpeg.

Transcoder.engine.ffmpeg=cmd,/c,.\\ffmpeg\\ffmpeg.exe {Options} 2> encoder_out.txt

Quote Originally Posted by matter1967 View Post
    application.properties has the location of ffmpeg, it is relative to where ui.cmd is. In the below example, ffmpeg.exe is in a folder under TySuiteJ called ffmpeg.

Transcoder.engine.ffmpeg=cmd,/c,.\\ffmpeg\\ffmpeg.exe {Options} 2> encoder_out.txt
    Okay, I see now. But my ffmpeg directory (containing the exe and dll) is same directory as the ui.cmd file -- so I think it should be good. I only seem to get this error when I try to do Save As and select DVD Video. Here is the encoder_out.txt file:
    FFmpeg version SVN-r9767, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-swscaler --enable-pthreads --enable-liba52 --enable-avisynth --enable-libamr-nb --enable-libamr-wb --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libnut --enable-libogg --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --cpu=i686 --enable-memalign-hack --extra-ldflags=-static
    libavutil version: 49.4.1
    libavcodec version: 51.40.4
    libavformat version: 51.12.1
    built on Jul 20 2007 18:03:34, gcc: 4.2.0
    Input #0, mpeg, from 'pipe:':
    Duration: N/A, bitrate: 80384 kb/s
    Stream #0.0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 1280x720, 80000 kb/s, 59.94 fps(r)
    Stream #0.1[0x80]: Audio: liba52, 48000 Hz, 5:1, 384 kb/s
    Unable to find a suitable output format for 'target'
    Oddly enough, I don't get this error when I Save As iPod Screen, iPod On TV, MPEG Video Exteral, or MPEG Video. I also don't get the error when I do a Save As DVD Video when the program is standard def. It seems that ffmpeg -- at least how TySuiteJ 2.6 uses it -- cannot (down) convert an HD TiVo program into a DVD Video mpeg.
    Last edited by bcm00re; 03-28-2008 at 03:11 PM.

So exactly what version of ffmpeg does not cause lip sync issues? I have tried 11870, 9767, and 9494 and they all produce equally horrible results (when using the Save As DVD Video mpeg or iPod On TV mov options). When I use the MPG button (which I believe doesn't use ffmpeg) the lip sync looks fairly good -- but I get jerky video if the program is HD.

At a loss here...

Okay...I've just spent half a day dinking with my application.properties file and trying to get mencoder to work. Here are the relevant lines from my file:

#Transcoding profiles
    Transcoder.engines=mencoder
    Transcoder.engine.mencoder=cmd,/c,.\\mencoder\\mencoder.exe [Options] 2> mencoder_out.txt
    Transcoder.profiles=ipodMobile,ipodSD,dvd
    Transcoder.profile.dvd=DVD 4:3,mencoder,mpg, -noskip -noharddup -oac copy -ovc lavc
    -lavcopts acodec=ac3:vcodec=mpeg2video:keyint=15:mpeg_quant -of mpeg
    -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf:interleaving2:vaspect 4/3:vframerate=30000/1001
    :vbitrate=8000:vwidth=480:vheight=480 -really-quiet -o "{OutputFile}" 2> mencoder_out.txt

The options chosen were simply 'guesses' after reading through a list of options in the readme file.

After selecting the file to copy/transcode in the GUI and selecting the download location/filename, mencoder starts. I get a status line with a bunch of machine-specific info in the log window, then get the error "Exiting...no output file specified (please see the -o option)." The DOS window that opens first when GUI launches echoes that error, then gives a bunch of Java errors (Pipe closed at...) with routine names. The output file parameter IS specified, unless it's in the wrong place.

So, it seems there's something wrong with the way I've specified the option line in application.properties...or something's not getting passed through. I've looked the file over, and read the mencoder docs, multiple times and don't see the problem. Does anyone have any input on this?
    Last edited by Sbmocp; 03-29-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Corrections...

Quote Originally Posted by bcm00re View Post
    It seems that ffmpeg -- at least how TySuiteJ 2.6 uses it -- cannot (down) convert an HD TiVo program into a DVD Video mpeg.
    I figured it out. The lastest version has an error in the application.properties file.

The following line is missing a dash (that I've added below in blue and bold):
    Transcoder.profile.dvd.wide=DVD Video,ffmpeg,mpg,-y -i - -target ntsc-dvd -aspect 16:9 "{OutputFile}" 2> encoder_out.txt

I am still waiting on the transcode to finish to see if the final product has lip sync issues (like the rest have had).