Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Custom Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring2099 View Post
    I'm getting about 50mbps with vmlinux-Gen05-netopt-ext3 kernel.
    Both with using patched mfs_ftp.tcl or tserver.
    Jamie you mention that you achieved speeds of 90mbps, based on netpref numbers. Are those numbers different than a practical download speed? Or is something special required?
    Netperf is a raw network performance measurement. Application level disk-to-network transfers are bound to be slower. Speed will also depend on what else your tivo is doing. Tuning to "dead' channels usually helps speed up transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Netperf is a raw network performance measurement. Application level disk-to-network transfers are bound to be slower. Speed will also depend on what else your tivo is doing. Tuning to "dead' channels usually helps speed up transfers.
    Got it, Thanks, I will differently try the dead channel tip.
    50mbps is still fast, I mean I'm happy with it. I can extract a 1.5 hour HD recording in 20 minutes. On my s2 set up a recording of that size would take 2-3 hours.
    Last edited by Offspring2099; 02-14-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    S3 / TCD648250b - Socketed
    Audio out of sync

Jamie, you might want to remove the "Gen06: TiVoHD -- see this" link from the OP since that now links to an outdated kernel. I'd been out of the loop for so long that the software versions were just numbers to me and grabbed the wrong one Was part of the cause for my tivohd not booting past the "a few minutes more" screen.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 07-28-2009 at 03:49 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
    Jamie, you might want to remove the "Gen06: TiVoHD -- see this" link from the OP since that now links to an outdated kernel. I'd been out of the loop for so long that the software versions were just numbers to me and grabbed the wrong one Was part of the cause for my tivohd not booting past the "a few minutes more" screen.
    I don't understand. The kernel may be "outdated" in that it was built from 9.x sources, but it still works for me on my TivoHD with 11.0d.
    Last edited by ScanMan; 07-28-2009 at 08:56 AM.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    I don't understand. The kernel may be "outdated" in that it was built from 9.x sources, but it still works for me on my TivoHD with 11.0d.
    It doesn't include the usbcore driver which doesn't allow the tuning resolver module driver to load, which halts the boot process. Unless you muck around with the startup scripts anyways.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

I updated the first Gen06 link today to point at the 9.x build, making it consistent with the later update link. It used to point to the 8.1.7 Gen06 kernel, which does not have usbcore built-in. As I pointed out elsewhere, it's useful to tweak the startup scripts to allow module load failures.

I realize this is a newb question, but can someone point me to a resource that explains what files to replace where? I'm not a newbie to the BASH/PERL/Linux, but am a newbie to TiVo . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djliquidice View Post
    I realize this is a newb question, but can someone point me to a resource that explains what files to replace where? I'm not a newbie to the BASH/PERL/Linux, but am a newbie to TiVo . Thanks
    actually, scratch that. heh. I did some more research, found that i needed to socket and hack the PROM, which is beyond what i'm willing to do w/ my time.

Thanks

Need the PROM code for hacking my Tivo3 or Tivo4 , can anyone point to the source of hacked prom code ? ILL be willing to trade my chip hardware mod skills if anyone wants the soldering and programming stuff done thats my specialty. my email xboxsold_gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by cordless View Post
    Need the PROM code for hacking my Tivo3 or Tivo4 , can anyone point to the source of hacked prom code ?
    Wrong forum, and the wrong thread to ask in. S3 PROM info here.

Help needed. Hope this is relevant thread to ask. I purchased a Trendnet TU2-ETG USB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter instead of the supported TU2-ET100 version. I found TU2-ETG is using an ASIX AX88178 controller. ASIX provided the Linux drivers, but only for Linux kernel 2.6.9 or above. I checked that my THD is still using 2.4.20 kernel. Can any body tell me is it still possible to get this adapter working for THD? Thanks in advance for your help.

From post 37 it says, "An additional patch is include here that changes some 32 bit ints in the tivo ide-disk.c driver to 64 bit ints. This allows the kernel to work with partitions > 1TiB. Without this patch, you'll get "kernel: idedisk_dosectors: Access beyond end of drive" errors with partitions > 1TiB. Note that there is still a 2TiB partition size limit imposed by the ancient apple partition table format the tivo still used."

Which file is the patch and how do you apply it? Can it be applied with the drive in the tivo?

Ok, process of elimination I figured out that build-scripts.tar.bz2‎ is the patch. However, when I hacked the drive I used Gen06.tar.bz2‎ for my kernel and I would like to switch to Gen06-netopt-ext3.tar.bz2‎. I see all this stuff about dd copy and have no idea what the process is or how you use that command.

Can someone please explain the steps to copying over kernel Gen06-netopt-ext3.tar.bz2‎ and applying the patch? I am pretty sure I didn't the iptables and inserted bcmenet.o as part of the initial hack. However if I knew the commands to verify they are correct that would be appreciated also.

I found the patch file inside the scripts. It was named partition-limit-fix.patch. I put it in my var directory and tried to run it and got this. HELP!!!

FamRoom2-bash# ./partition-limit-fix.patch
    diff: linux-2.4-orig/drivers/ide/ide-disk.c: No such file or directory
    diff: linux-2.4/drivers/ide/ide-disk.c: No such file or directory
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: ---: command not found
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: +++: command not found
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: @@: command not found
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: unsigned: command not found
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: int: command not found
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: int: command not found
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: -: command not found
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: -: command not found
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: +: command not found
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: +: command not found
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: line 12: syntax error near unexpected token `HWIF(d'
    ./partition-limit-fix.patch: line 12: ` ide_hwif_t *hwif = HWIF(drive);'

This patch is a source patch for the linux kernel. It is only useful if you are able to compile kernels for yourself from source. From the last view posts, I don't think you are ready to do that yourself yet. You really need some background in Linux development before you can jump into compiling kernels.

You can use the kernel I built and posted. It has the patch already applied.
    Last edited by Jamie; 10-14-2011 at 12:59 PM.