Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Custom Kernels

Ok, so you're saying the kernel shouldn't be the problem causing my reboots... I thought it was my Tivo getting around to using the 1.7TB partition WinMFS created. Darn, that puts me back as square one.

Onward and upward is how we learn... thanks...

If the kernel was a problem, you'd be seeing message like this: "kernel: idedisk_dosectors: Access beyond end of drive".

The last logs have some kind of panic error from the kernel with what looks like a long code dump which is what made me start looking that direction.

I have the stock drive back in it for now so I have time to figure this out. Thanks for the help and the kernels...

Correct me if I am wrong somebody, I have a partition that is 1.7tb.

I need to run "partition-limit-fix.patch" against my ide-disk.c driver to enable 64 bit ints. I'm not getting the error Jamie list in my logs but I have to wonder if I am having consistency problems.

Secondly, if I need to run this patch, is this the correct command I would use? That is a confusing command.

Code:
    diff -u -r linux-2.4-orig/drivers/ide/ide-disk.c linux-2.4/drivers/ide/ide-disk.c

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong somebody, I have a partition that is 1.7tb.

I need to run "partition-limit-fix.patch" against my ide-disk.c driver to enable 64 bit ints. I'm not getting the error Jamie list in my logs but I have to wonder if I am having consistency problems.

Secondly, if I need to run this patch, is this the correct command I would use? That is a confusing command.

Code:
    diff -u -r linux-2.4-orig/drivers/ide/ide-disk.c linux-2.4/drivers/ide/ide-disk.c
    Let me repeat:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    This patch is a source patch for the linux kernel. It is only useful if you are able to compile kernels for yourself from source. From the last view posts, I don't think you are ready to do that yourself yet. You really need some background in Linux development before you can jump into compiling kernels.

You can use the kernel I built and posted. It has the patch already applied.
    By the way, this is thread is in the FILES area and is not an appropriate place to ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Let me repeat: By the way, this is thread is in the FILES area and is not an appropriate place to ask questions.
    Sorry, I didn't realize I asked that before. Been reading so much it's hard remember what's what.

Gotcha on the other!

Would anyone be so kind as to post the custom kernels in TAK format? Specifically the Gen06.tar.bz2 for use with a Tivo HD under WinMFS