Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Kernels

Thanks! I was just going through my kernel building notes. I would much rather start tinkering with my new unit than mucking around with kernels.

Did the kernel change on a S2 DT from OS 8.1 to 9.1? Will you be releasing 9.1 kernels?

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    Did the kernel change on a S2 DT from OS 8.1 to 9.1? Will you be releasing 9.1 kernels?
    The 8.x kernels work fine with 9.1.

Should the Gen04 kernel run on an R10?

Has anyone tried it?
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB

tried it. reboot loop. This is on an R10 with 6.1a, and I'm pretty sure I stubbed out iptables correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by crashHD View Post
    tried it. reboot loop. This is on an R10 with 6.1a, and I'm pretty sure I stubbed out iptables correctly.
    An 8.x kernel requires 8.x network drivers too. You took care of that as well?

I must have screwed something up. I'm getting a reboot loop even after putting the original kernel back in.

I was using the same backport drivers I was using with the original kernel. That probably didn't help. If it makes a diagnostic difference, it rebooted without even a network card connected.

Quote Originally Posted by crashHD View Post
    I must have screwed something up. I'm getting a reboot loop even after putting the original kernel back in.

I was using the same backport drivers I was using with the original kernel. That probably didn't help. If it makes a diagnostic difference, it rebooted without even a network card connected.
    You'll probably want to look at the serial console output to debug this.

PROM Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Here's the Gen06 kernel built from the 8.1.7 sources with an updated build script.
    OK, so I obtained a copy of MFS_Live which understands SATA drives, and I used it to build an upgrade CD using a utility I can't mention here, but it doesn't work, so I'm stuck for the moment. I can boot and mount the partitions from the TiVo HD drive, and I have a file called vmlinux-Gen06.px in one of the directories. What, exactly, do I need to do to replace the kernel on my TiVo HD? How can I back up the existing kernel so if I goof or something goes wrong I can return to the working kernel? I've read through the forum extensively, but it's really difficult to tell what procedures will and won't work on the TiVo HD and which ones would work but better ways have been created since their inception. What's worst, it hard to know which might potentially brick the TiVo HD.

I really want to get this working by this weekend, because there are several great programs on this weekend I'll lose if I don't have the mods complete.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

To backup your existing kernel:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda3 of=92kernel-orig
    To replace kernel:

Code:
    dd if=vmlinux-Gen06.px of=/dev/hda3
    This assumes a) your tivo drive is hda, b) your active kernel partition is 3, and that you're in the directory you want to save your backed-up kernel in and/or your replacement kernel file is located in.

Other possibilities include:
    Tivo drive is sda or sdb... etc. (if not performing this on the Tivo itself)
    Active kernel partition could be 3 or 6 - check with bootpage -b

psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0m-01-2-652

Not yet

Well, that didn't work. It starts to boot, but then quits with a fatal error in the tverr log and reboots. I went back to the source, as it were, and downloaded Jamie's Gen06.tar.bz2 which has the same vmlinux-Gen06.px file (diff reports them to be identical) as in the mangled CD, but it also has a bcmenet.o file, with which I think I need to do something, but I don't know what. I'm sorry, I've read through the forum for several weeks now, but I still don't have a handle on hacking the Series III, and time has run out on me.

Never mind. It goes in /platform/lib/modules
    Last edited by lrhorer; 02-02-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Just for clarification. Is the TGC01.tar.bz2 download kernal for the TCD649? Also, can I just replace this kernal on my tivo hd using "dd" or will I still need to use replace_initird?

Yes, the TGC01 kernel is for the SA SD dual tuner platform (649). These kernels have no initrd, so there is no need to neuter them.

New Kernel?

Jamie,

have you had a chance to look at the 9.3 release? Has its kernel changed?