Thread: Garbage on Serial Bash (Really!)

35 Garbage on Serial Bash (Really!)

If the answer to this is in the forums I apologize, I tried searching but there is so many posts of people that have garbage on their bash because of wrong baud settings I could not find posts with real bash/garbage problems.

That being said, I have my settings correct and have even tried all possible speed settings thinking it got set at some weird baud rate.

Let me start at the beginning...

Bash was working fine, 115k on dsr6k extreme 2.52. I was doing some tivoweb updating and decided I wanted a console listing from boot and added "console=2,115200" to the bootpage- I was not sure if port 2 is correct for series-1 dtivo but figured I would change it if did not work.

Well I rebooted and after the "almost there" screen garbage starts scrolling out the serial port and continues to scroll even after the normal boot process is finished and tivo is running (working fine, mind you). This scrolling is very rapid at 115k and I get no characters at all at 9600 so the pulses it's sending to the serial port are very short. Please note again, the scrolling NEVER stops- it goes as long as tivo is on and starts after the "almost there" screen (nothing comes out before that)

I back tracked and removed the console statement from the bootpage, then changed it to port 1, no change, nothing I do will stop the scrolling and bring back my normal bash.

Hopefully someone can throw some light on this.

Thankx all!
    Jmayes

No One Can Help?

you won't get console on s1 unless you've updated your prom. You will also need the patched "frankenstien" kernel. search console and alphawolf in this forum.

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false dsscon=true console=3,19200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda

is working well here, to see the initial boot menu change the speed to 9800.

Thank you mikey!

I did not realize that series 1 does not support the console, I do however have a updated prom via the xtreme install- not sure if xtreme did any kernel swapping.

That is the exact bootpage I am using, I did some research and found the comport was 3 and not 2 but the garbage persists, I can not get my bash back. Just fyi, when I use console=1 I get nothing, but 2 or 3 give me the garbage.

At this point I would like to just get my bash back and don't really need the console. Can someone tell me why using "console=2" on a series 1 dtivo will send garbage out the serial port that can not be turned back off?? Before I Issued that command in my bootpage the serial bash was working perfect.

Again Thankx to all!
    Jmayes

try the prom here neutronflux posted a flash utility put his utility on the tivo and rename the new prom flash and reboot. you now have console output.
    the serial port hardware address changed from series1 to series2 is the reason for garbage. console output is particularly nice for troubleshooting.
    happy hacking.