Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HR10-250 and new HD channels from D*

HR10-250 and new HD channels from D*

Anyone know if there are any hacks/hardware that will allow the HR10-250 to receive the new HD channels coming to D* in September? I love this box and I'd really like to receive the new channels w/o having to go exclusively to the D* DVR.

The HR10-250 can only receive mpeg2 whereas the HR20 receives both mpeg2 and mpeg4 (which will be the new channels). So unless you get a HR20, your out of luck.

Any new HD channels introduced by DTV will be mpeg4. You'll need to get yourself an HR20 HD-DVR to receive and record them.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

That's probably what I'm going to end up doing, getting the HR20 and keeping the old TiVo box for the bedroom. So there's no way to add a board or chip to the HR10 or any other non-D* DVR unit to allow it to process and display MPEG4?

Thanks.

It's a bit more complex than that. You'd basically need an entire new mainboard designed to handle both mpeg2 and mpeg4. You'd probably have to update the software to handle it as well since you'd be looking at satellites the mpeg2 receivers aren't designed to recognize.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

exactly what new channels are coming? I was under the impression it was only new locals.

DirecTV has not offered specifics in most cases, but some being rolled out now are MTV-HD and some regional sports networks. SciFi-HD is planned for the fall and once D*'s latest satellite goes up, it is said there will be capacity for 100 new HD channels. Certainly there are a number of HD channels we don't currently get due to capacity, such as more of HBO's collection.
    Steve

Here's the list of new HD channels announced by DTV that will be available in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    It's a bit more complex than that. You'd basically need an entire new mainboard designed to handle both mpeg2 and mpeg4. You'd probably have to update the software to handle it as well since you'd be looking at satellites the mpeg2 receivers aren't designed to recognize.
    What if you didn't want to playback the stream but only to capture it for playback on another device after exporting?

Quote Originally Posted by xdz View Post
    What if you didn't want to playback the stream but only to capture it for playback on another device after exporting?
    You're probably still going to be SOL. You will need a 5 LNB dish to pick up the signals and it's doubtful the HR10 is capable of accessing the two additional lnbs.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    You're probably still going to be SOL. You will need a 5 LNB dish to pick up the signals and it's doubtful the HR10 is capable of accessing the two additional lnbs.

PlainBill
    It's not. It's not capable of Ka-band tuning either. There is no way to get the HR10-250 to get the new channels.

I love my HR10-250 and now I feel the end is near if I want the new channels. I'm about to say screw it all and just build my own DVR with MythTV software.

-Matt
    -Matt D.

Dtivo's - RCA40 w/120GB and HR10-250 w/300GB both networked. Also, nonhacked SAT60 w/40GB

HDTivo owners are eventually going to be left out in the cold with regards to having access to any DTV HD programming, but we pretty much knew this was going to happen some day. The cutoff date has not yet been announced so there's only speculation as to when it will actually take place. I don't think it's supposed to happen until sometime in 2008 at the earliest, but that's always subject to change.

I will be curious to see if DTV still charges HDTivo owners the $9.99 HD access fee once the switch to mpeg4 happens since they will no longer have access to DTV HD channels, although they will be able to record OTA HD programming. If the fee remains then the best option would be to either switch to a S3 Tivo or build yourself an HTPC to be able to record OTA HD channels. I'd only recommend the S3 if you plan on switching to digital cable or FIOS. You could also replace the HDTivo with a standard DTivo since you'd still have access to mpeg2 standard def channels via DTV.

An HTPC can be pricey for the initial hardware but it mostly depends on how many bells and whistles you include. The latest AMD AM2 dual core CPUs and mobos are an excellent deal and will get you a lot of bang for the buck. The new Intel dual core CPUs are supposed to better performers but they would be overkill for an HTPC unless you also want HD-DVD or Blu-Ray playback or you want to use the expert option with ffdshow for playing standard DVDs at the highest possible picture quality. There's a lot of good info on HTPCs at the AVSForums. The HTPCnews website seems to have dropped off the face of the earth as I haven't been able to connect to it in about a month.

I use an HTPC for OTA HD programming with five ATSC USB tuners in conjunction with an S3 Tivo for scrambled content on my FIOS network. The S3 has dropped considerably in price and I believe there's now a $200 rebate being offered to get the price down to around $400.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    An HTPC can be pricey for the initial hardware but it mostly depends on how many bells and whistles you include.
    I spent just over $500 on a Gateway GM832 MCE 2005 PC with 2 P4 3.0 GHz processors, 1 GB RAM, 250GB SATA HdD, and a Hauppage PCI TV tuner. I added a 24-bit sound card for optical connection to my SONY amp and a nVidia 6600 256MB vid card for a little over $100 and I'll be receiving an AverMedia PCI ATSC tuner that I ordered from NewEgg tomorrow for $85 shipped. I've added an extra internal drive and several external drives, but the whole thing comes in well under $900 and I was able to stretch out the upgrades.

It's not sleek and cutting-edge and snob HTPC enthusiasts might scoff at it, but I don't regret picking it up one little bit and if I were to upgrade down the road, I'd still find a spot for the machine. But, yeah, more often than not, entry into HTPC is pricey.

As far as the HR10, I intend to use it for ATSC and SD programming, but since I do plan on staying with DIRECTV, I already have a HR20 and I quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by beljah View Post
    As far as the HR10, I intend to use it for ATSC and SD programming, but since I do plan on staying with DIRECTV, I already have a HR20 and I quite like it.

Is the HR20 hackable?