Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: What I was told by Retention and Customer Service

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7

    What I was told by Retention and Customer Service

    I received a phone call with a recorded message from DirecTV that I needed to attach the B-Band converters to my HD receivers or soon I would not receive any HD programming.

    Strange considering all of my DirecTV equipment is TiVo based and not MPEG-4. I have a Sony SAT-T60, Philips DSR-6000 (both SD DirecTiVos) and two HR10-250 HD DirecTiVos.

    When I called in to find out why they had called me to attach BBCs I don't have (and wouldn't work with an HD TiVo from what I had read) they couldn't answer me and I asked for retention. They informed me it was a mistake that I was called and I told them they needed to clean up their act and only call MPEG-4 users. I was then told that I would have to upgrade to HR20 DVRs anyway since THEY ARE TAKING MPEG-2 HD OFF OF THE SATELLITE AT THE END OF THIS YEAR. The HD TiVos will only do OTA HD and SD satellite. Channels 70 - 99 will disappear and be moved to MPEG-4.

    They have pissed me of beyond belief - One HD TiVo is 2 years and 1 month old and the other is under 2 years old. Now they are telling me they will basically be obsoleted and I will be forced to go with an inferior product.

    We'll have to see if they really cut off the HD on the HD TiVo - that may be the time to switch to Verizon FIOS TV, Cox Cable or Dish Network. I'm tired of spending tons of money on DirecTV and then being orphaned by them and them basically lying to me. I've had DirecTV for well over 10 years and they just may lose me as a customer. I'm not going to spend $100 a month for programming, thousands for equipment and then be told 'screw you' you have to use our inferior POS instead of the best DVR on the planet (that we adopted as our DVR just two years ago for HD).
    Last edited by davidjplatt; 06-22-2007 at 01:20 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    6,413
    That's very interesting and the first I've heard of any plans to shut down the mpeg2 HD channels. DTV must be planning to add more SD mpeg2 channels to their lineup and are scavenging for bandwidth. Boy, am I glad I switched to FIOS.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7

    At least I'm not being told I'm nuts

    On tivocommunity.com I was told "NO WAY". Yet I was told the same thing by two reps (one in retention) and two supervisors.

    I think the need for MPEG-2 capacity for SD may be the compelling reason. I hope it doesn't come true as quickly as it may. I'd rather have Liberty take over, make a smart move like buying TiVo and getting the TiVo software onto an MPEG-4 DVR with an adequate processor and memory to make a very responsive industry leading DVR.

    The big problem is that my options switching from DirecTV are Dish Network (crap DVR), Verizon FIOS (crap DVR) and Cox (crap DVR). I guess the industry is going for mediocrity instead of state-of-the-art. Even BeyondTV on the PC is far superior to every DVR on the market with the exception of TiVo. Getting two or three Series 3 TiVos really isn't an option for me due to the intial and ongoing costs for 3 HD TiVos. It really pisses me off. I'd pay $5 a month for TiVo software on a DirecTV DVR. It's that much better than the HR20 or R15 from everything I've read and everything co-workers and friends have told me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    54
    That call was NOT about broadband converters. It referred to B-Band Converters or BBC's. These will be required to receive programming from the new satellite which is scheduled to launch next month. It only applies to MPEG-4 content, so if you don't have an HR20 or H20, it sounds as if you received the call in error. This has nothing whatever to do with the wild rumors about shutting down MPEG-2. To the contrary, the new satellite will add quite a bit of bandwidth.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by oakwcj View Post
    That call was NOT about broadband converters. It referred to B-Band Converters or BBC's. These will be required to receive programming from the new satellite which is scheduled to launch next month. It only applies to MPEG-4 content, so if you don't have an HR20 or H20, it sounds as if you received the call in error. This has nothing whatever to do with the wild rumors about shutting down MPEG-2. To the contrary, the new satellite will add quite a bit of bandwidth.
    I edited the post to say B-Band converters instead of broadband converters (note that I referred to b-band converters later in the initial post).

    The DirecTV reps told me that they probably just called every HD subscriber instead of looking at the equipment they have and selectively calling. The DirecTV reps even said it was a sloppy way to do things.

    I don't think that 4 different DirecTV reps all saying MPEG-2 HD would be gone at the end of the year constitutes wild rumors.

    Yes, the new satellite will add quite a bit of bandwith - Ka band bandwith, not Ku band bandwith. If they need the Ku band bandwith for something other than HD, then they just might shutdown the HD on Ku band the end of the year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    54
    I agree that that MPEG2-HD is on its way out, but it's hard to believe that D* will be able to install 5LNB dishes for all of its existing HD customers by the end of the year. They're not likely to shut it off without giving written notice and completing the swap-outs. The pace of the change is more likely to be driven by HBO's announcement that its going to all MPEG-4 streams sometime next year than by bandwidth issues. After all, there are only 10 MPEG-2 HD channels.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by oakwcj View Post
    I agree that that MPEG2-HD is on its way out, but it's hard to believe that D* will be able to install 5LNB dishes for all of its existing HD customers by the end of the year. They're not likely to shut it off without giving written notice and completing the swap-outs. The pace of the change is more likely to be driven by HBO's announcement that its going to all MPEG-4 streams sometime next year than by bandwidth issues. After all, there are only 10 MPEG-2 HD channels.
    I spoke with them last night and they are sending out an installer on Tuesday to install a 5 LNB dish for me. They use local installers so I'm thinking that if they need to they'll be able to get the dishes installed pretty quickly. I was told that MPEG2 HD content will end either at the end of August or start of September.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    I spoke with them last night and they are sending out an installer on Tuesday to install a 5 LNB dish for me. They use local installers so I'm thinking that if they need to they'll be able to get the dishes installed pretty quickly. I was told that MPEG2 HD content will end either at the end of August or start of September.
    That is most certainly not accurate, since the D10 satellite that launched yesterday won't go live until mid-September. Do you really think they'll shut off the MPEG2 HD channels without any notice?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7

    Read the first post

    As I said in the original post, I was told that MPEG-2 goes away at the END OF THE YEAR. That doesn't mean late August or early September. It means like January 1, 2008.

    Since the satellite went up successfully and is in the proper orbit, it looks like DirecTV may actually meet the September timeframe for the new HD channels in MPEG-4.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjplatt View Post
    As I said in the original post, I was told that MPEG-2 goes away at the END OF THE YEAR.
    And the beachguy upped the ante.

    I say they're gone tomorrow, Monday.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan View Post
    And the beachguy upped the ante.

    I say they're gone tomorrow, Monday.
    And I say they were never there in the first place. Just a collective hallucination.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by oakwcj View Post
    And I say they were never there in the first place. Just a collective hallucination.
    Hallucinations in HD? Sounds like high tech hippies.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    I was told that MPEG2 HD content will end either at the end of August or start of September.
    I highly doubt it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
    I highly doubt it.
    I hope you're right, I hope it's just idi0t CSR's that don't know what they're talking about but I was told that by 2 Rep's and the installer.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    23
    I can't imagine this is possibly true. I am an avid HD watcher on DTV with 2 HR10's and an H20. I haven't received any notice that I won't be getting my HD channels in the near future and I would be pissed off to all hell if they told me I had to pay some $300 - $500 for new receivers because my 2 year old ones that cost $500/ea were now out of date. I think the MPEG2 stream has a ways to go yet unless I get some new MPEG4 DVRs in the mail for free.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •