Thread: Too Late to Purchase HR10-250

Too Late to Purchase HR10-250 - Updated

With the constant low prices of HDTV's, we have purchased one (2 actually) Would it be considered a waste of money at this point in the game to purchase a USED HR10-250 to keep Tivo? I've seen a few friends newer DVR's and just cringe at the thought of losing Tivo.... Is it a waste of time/money at this point? I have enjoyed the all the benefits of my 3 other Tivos in my home...

Thanks
    Last edited by CrimsnTide; 06-25-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Updated

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsnTide View Post
    With the constant low prices of HDTV's, we have purchased one (2 actually) Would it be considered a waste of money at this point in the game to purchase a USED HR10-250 to keep Tivo? I've seen a few friends newer DVR's and just cringe at the thought of losing Tivo.... Is it a waste of time/money at this point? I have enjoyed the all the benefits of my 4 other Tivos in my home..
    There are only a few DirecTV HDTV channels at the moment, and any new ones they add will not be received by the HR10-250.

The HR10-250 can be great for OTA HDTV. Its sensitivity is on a par with more recent tuners, but it is relatively poor at multi-path rejection and can require a lot of antenna-fiddling if your location has that problem.

Obviously a big advantage is that the HR10-250 fits well into a hacked DTivo/SA Tivo home network.

I have three HR10-250s in my home and am very happy with them.

There are reports that the HR10's will be useless for watching DirecTV HD programming by the end of the year. Personally, I have 4 SD DirecTiVos and an HR20. The HR20 has a faster UI than the DirecTiVos. MRV on the HR20 would be nice. A way to switch to the program on the other tuner would be nice. Other than that, the biggest problem with the HR20 is my daughter-in-law comes over and tunes it to Lifetime Movie Network.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    There are reports that the HR10's will be useless for watching DirecTV HD programming by the end of the year
    If these are the same reports I've heard, the source is a DirecTV CSR. I cannot even imagine a more suspect source.

DirecTV recently dropped the lifetime DVR line item on my bill and started charging me $5.99 a month.

I called DirecTV today. There is no such thing as lifetime DVR service. There may or may not have been a Tivo lifetime some years ago but I would have to call Tivo about that. DirecTV currently has no contract or relationship with Tivo.

With three more calls, CSR roullette, and an hour or so of my time on hold, I had my problem solved, but this is typical of DirecTV CSR knowledge in the Murdoch era.

So, I went ahead and a got a HR10. With that, I've got a few questions maybe someone can give me some advice on. Current setup:

DirecTV package = Basic + HBO + Sports (FSN etc.) My contract/obligation ENDED 04/07 - 3 year customer w/autopay
    4 rooms with DirecTV
    3 out of 4 with DirecTV Tivos ("upgraded", and networked )
    2 newly acquired Panasonic Plasma's (HDTV capable)
    1 HR10-250 coming (not online - yet)

I am looking at possibly hooking up the HR10 (after upgrading) and replacing the non-Tivo receiver, so it looks like I will be paying for HD programming

Here are some questions I have:

1) What kind of "Package" should I be asking for? Maybe Customer Retention?

2)Should I ask to get the HR20 with a NEW dish? (Looking for BEST deal)

3) Since I will have the HR10 ready in a week or so, is it worth telling them NOW it will be put into the system?

4) Is there ADDITIONAL costs for 2 HD Receivers?

5) Is there ADDITIONAL costs for Tivo programming AND DirecTV's DVR Programming? (I don't even know if D* has a DVR program charge like I'm paying with/for Tivo.)

6)I have two feeds running to all 3 of my Tivos for dual tuners. Do I have to run any more cable for HD?

7) If "Multiswitch" is required, is it powered? (I currently have a 3x8 Terk powered. the power comes from a transformer type plug (110v) and is ran through a Coax line)
    (7a) Any chance that I will be able to use this power setup if needed?

Thanks -

So, I went ahead and a got a HR10. With that, I've got a few questions maybe someone can give me some advice on. Current setup:

DirecTV package = Basic + HBO + Sports (FSN etc.) My contract/obligation ENDED 04/07 - 3 year customer w/autopay
    4 rooms with DirecTV
    3 out of 4 with DirecTV Tivos ("upgraded", and networked )
    2 newly acquired Panasonic Plasma's (HDTV capable)
    1 HR10-250 coming (not online - yet)

I am looking at possibly hooking up the HR10 (after upgrading) and replacing the non-Tivo receiver, so it looks like I will be paying for HD programming

Here are some questions I have:

1) What kind of "Package" should I be asking for? Maybe Customer Retention?
    There are two issues here. First is HD programming, second is the HD receiver. HD programming is $10 / month.

"Standard" price for the HR20-700 receiver is $299 + $20 shipping. This includes a new 5 lnb dish and free 'standard' installation. Your installation will require a multiswitch, they will install a WB68 at no cost. Discounts are available, see the thread 'Decisions, Decisions' in this forum for more details.
    2)Should I ask to get the HR20 with a NEW dish? (Looking for BEST deal)
    You must have an oval dish to get HD programming (and a 4x8 or better multiswitch). Unless you can get one free through craigslist, you might as well let DirecTV give it to you.
    3) Since I will have the HR10 ready in a week or so, is it worth telling them NOW it will be put into the system?
    I would say call them NOW. As noted above, the HR10 will not get HD programming with the present dish/multiswitch.
    4) Is there ADDITIONAL costs for 2 HD Receivers?
    No
    5) Is there ADDITIONAL costs for Tivo programming AND DirecTV's DVR Programming? (I don't even know if D* has a DVR program charge like I'm paying with/for Tivo.)
    You pay one $6 monthly DVR charge, which covers all DirecTiVos and DirecTV DVRs.
    6)I have two feeds running to all 3 of my Tivos for dual tuners. Do I have to run any more cable for HD?
    No. But I would advise running a second line to the non-Tivo.

In simple terms, DirecTV's 'Standard Installation' is a joke. The upgrade includes up to 120 feet of cable free, however this only includes the first ten feet inside the room. So it the TV is 12 feet from the point where they come through the wall, they will charge you for the last two feet. The minimum 'non-standard installation' charge is $35. The local installer LIVES on those 'non-standard installation' charges. Unless your non-tivo receiver is against an outside wall, they WILL figure out how to charge you to hook up a second cable.
    7) If "Multiswitch" is required, is it powered? (I currently have a 3x8 Terk powered. the power comes from a transformer type plug (110v) and is ran through a Coax line)
    The WB68 is not powered.
    (7a) Any chance that I will be able to use this power setup if needed?

Thanks -
    You're welcome.

By the way, HDTV ROCKS!!!

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

DirecTV currently has no contract or relationship with Tivo.
    Not true. DTV renewed their contract with Tivo about a year ago and extended the contract for another three years. This has been widely documented here and in other forums.

There is no longer a separate HD programming package. DirecTV now charges anyone with an HD-capable receiver or DVR an HD access fee of $9.99 whether you watch HD programming or not. This is to prevent people from getting an HR10-250 and just use it to receive OTA HD programs without paying DTV for the privilege. You will get all of the non-premium HD channels as a result. If you subscribe to HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc., you will get their HD channels included as part of the premium package.
    Last edited by captain_video; 06-26-2007 at 07:09 AM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks guys... The information provided has helped me make my decision... It looks like I'm in search for a VERY nice and cooperative CSR....

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    Not true. DTV renewed their contract with Tivo about a year ago and extended the contract for another three years.
    But how can this possibly be true, when a DirecTV CSR told me just the opposite when I called to ask why my lifetime subscription had been canceled?

The CSR was clear, as I said in my message, that I need to talk to Tivo about any lifetime DirecTV subscription.

Obviously the point of my message, questioning DirecTV CSRs as an accurate source, was too subtle.

The lifetime service that was available for the very early S1 DTivos was obtained through Tivo and not DirecTV, hence the direction to look to them for assistance. DirecTV took over the Tivo service after a while and changed the name to "DVR Service" on your bill. DirecTV then paid Tivo a royalty based on a percentage of the DVR fee. I believe they paid $1.00 to Tivo for every DVR fee they collected. The original fee was $4.99 but DTV bumped it up to $5.99 about a year ago to offset the fees they were paying to Tivo. Had they not resigned the agreement with Tivo, all DTivos and HDTivos would eventually stop working since the license to provide guide data would have expired. I'm sure DTV decided to renew the agreement to prevent the onslaught of angry DTivo owners.

DirecTV got greedy and decided they didn't want to pay Tivo the fees anymore, which I can only assume is one of the reasons they initially broke ties with them. It's also the primary reason why DTV developed their own DVRs. This allowed them to keep 100% of any DVR fees for DVRs that they produced. There were enough customers unwilling to part with their DTivos so DTV signed a new agreement with Tivo to allow DTV subscribers to keep using their DTivos instead of swapping them all out for R15's.

Switching to mpeg4 for the HD channels is just another way for DTV to reduce the number of Tivos remaining on the subscriber accounts. Once they switch over all HD channels to mpeg4 the HDTivos will only be able to record OTA programming in Hi-Def since the HD mpeg2 channels will go away. Everyone will have to replace their HDTivos for HR20's, thus allowing DTV to claim 100% of any DVR fees for those units.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

DirecTV had the right to continue guide data service even after the contract expired. What they got with a renewal was continued support of the software including bug fixes.

If a CSR tells you that the lifetime service has expired, find a different CSR as they are talking through their hat.
    Steve

Yes, DTV did sign a 3 yr extention with TiVo for service and support. They did this in part so as to keep from being sued. The agreement was announced either during the lawsuit or shortly after TiVo won their 78 million dollar suit against Dish. (being appealed).... Part of this extention agreement was that they will not sue each other.

While I have added and HR20 HD DVR to my mix ... I have kept 5 Tivo's operational including my HR10-250. I do not believe we have heard the last from TiVo/DTV. With new ownership coming onboard I am optimistic about the chances of a TiVo revival with DTV. Why? Because it's better and new owners will not have any problem dumping inferior product. They do not own a division that manufactures DVR's....

I went ahead and added the hr20 because I want to be able to get all the new HD channels coming on DTV. Plus I knew if I went ahead and spent the money now...It would mean HDTiVo would become available again sooner rather than later w/DTV... because that's the way my luck goes

Also, CSR'S are only there to take orders, add programming and to tell you how "important you are to them". Do yourself a favor and do not take their comments regarding policy changes, strategic moves etc as being Spot on.
    Last edited by bobbyk; 07-23-2007 at 06:50 PM. Reason: additional thought

Things change...

O.K., so things change and life goes on. I did get the HR10 - but NEVER got it hooked up or on line. with getting married and all the headaches that go with it, I just never got around to it... So with my setup above here's my delimma.

Not a longtime subscriber (4 years) but autopay...

We're moving.

We are going to go with HD programming in the new place. My wish is to take 3 tivos with me/us and add TWO HD DVR receivers. I guess I'm going with the newer HD-DVR Plus. Here are my questions.

1) I have NO contract obligation - Do I just discontinue service and let my wife start up a new service contract.

2) Do "new" customers" get a better deal on anything? HD-DVR's (Need 2), programming? Or do customers threatining to leave get a better deal?

3)Would a new customer be able to bring over 3 "used" tivos? (from above)

4) any advice ? New contract? have them move and then upgrade us? Would it be best (spendy) to purchase units (if found) instead of leasing?

Thanks...

I think you're going to have to do some research. The DirecTV movers connection will install a new dish at your new location. You may be able to 'piggyback' installation of a HD DVR at that time. I'd also suggest mentioning the great deal you can get with Dish network.

I'd also suggest calling (from a different phone number) and see what package you can get as a new subscriber.

PlainBill