Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lifetime Upgrade Offer

New Lifetime Upgrade Offer

So tivo sent me an Email telling me that I can upgrade my S1 lifetime to an 80GB dual tuner S2 if I buy it for $300 before 7/23. This sounds like a pretty good deal and I'm thinking of biting.

What do you guys think?

Are the dual tuner units hackable? They're probably S2.5 units which need a hardware hack.
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'

Yes, they can be hacked with some work.
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...highlight=dual
    or you can have someone do it for you (heard good things)
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=53722

Honestly though, not sure about dual tuner for 300 with lifetime swap. I'd rather go with s3 newest stuff, HD, etc. But, the DT is really nice, so would not be a bad thing, just maybe not best. Either way, can't go wrong, just depends on if you think it is worth 300$ to add a 2nd tuner.

I'm thinking that for $300 I can kick ina little more to buy a lifetime SA2 on ebay and sell the SA1. In the end it will cost less than $300.
    perl -e 'print unpack("u","\@2\&\%V92\!Y;W4\@:&\%C:V5D(\%E/55\(\@5\&EV\;R\!T;V1A>3\\-\`"),"\n";'

I'm probably going to lose my DTV sub soon (can't really afford it anymore, don't watch tv that much lately, I only really watch southpark, BSG, and a few others, which I can get with local cable for like $20 a month on a student discount,) so I am thinking about doing something similar to this -- that is, buying a lifetime SA2 unit on ebay, as I refuse to pay $12.50 a month for it.

Problem though, is how do you tell whether or not the ebay units really have a lifetime sub on em?
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Ask them for the service ID and call Tivo. The good auctioneers will include a screen shot of the setup screen showing account status.

Be sure to use paypal. I have had good luck with their dispute resolution process.

BTW, do SA tivos have an analog cable tuner or do they require a separate cable box? I am almost completely unfamiliar with how SA tivos are supposed to actually record video.

I am thinking of *maybe* getting digital cable, as I think that is the only way to get a separate cable box these days. Digital cable tends to be a ripoff though, as I'll be forced into buying more channels than I want, plus have to pay something like $6 a month just for having "digital quality" (most retarded term I have ever heard BTW, not sure why DirecTV and most cable companies use such nonsense other than to appeal to complete morons) plus another $5 or $10 or so for the digital cable box. Still somewhat cheaper than what I am paying for directv, but just barely, and only because I am getting a "big 3" package combined with a student discount. If not for that DirecTV is a much better deal.

I also really don't like the idea of digital to analog to digital recording (just sounds messy) but I don't have much choice right now it seems.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 07-20-2007 at 07:23 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post
    I really don't like the idea of digital to analog to digital recording (just sounds messy) but I don't have much choice right now it seems.
    Not "right now" but the new (second version) s3? Hopefully if you can get hold of a bargain old s1 or s2 with lifetime (maybe non-working and somebody wants to get some salvage value) there will be a good lifetime transfer deal. For the best _potential_ value, that's what I'd be looking at.

Uber expensive though. Aren't they putting the lifetime transfer fees at around $300 these days? Plus $300 for the "S3 lite."

S3 seems like it is a little on the obsolete side already though, so I would want to wait anyways. M-cards are out now, and S3's don't support them, apparently. At least, they can't multi-stream from them, so you still need two of them, and some cableco's (don't know about cox) do double charge for that.

I wonder when cablecard 2.0 is supposed to come around? Either way it seems a bit silly that even though tivo is making a new hardware revision of S3, it still won't support M-cards.

It would be interesting to pick at getting MRV support enabled in the S3 on the other hand...
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 07-20-2007 at 07:41 AM.

BTW, do SA tivos have an analog cable tuner or do they require a separate cable box? I am almost completely unfamiliar with how SA tivos are supposed to actually record video.
    S1/S2 SA's have an analog cable tuner in them, or you can record from the AV-in via your cable box. I don't know about the newer models but if you use the built-in tuner on the Series 2.0 boxes you don't get stereo audio, in case that's important to you. Apparently the stereo tuners were too pricey back in the day... dunno if that applies to 2.5 boxes.

psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Quote Originally Posted by psxboy View Post
    S1/S2 SA's have an analog cable tuner in them, or you can record from the AV-in via your cable box. I don't know about the newer models but if you use the built-in tuner on the Series 2.0 boxes you don't get stereo audio, in case that's important to you. Apparently the stereo tuners were too pricey back in the day... dunno if that applies to 2.5 boxes.

psxboy
    Hmm...thats gay.

Analog cable is gay. It's like the dark ages or something... is there still anything worth watching on it?

For me, my television entertainment expenditure is right up there in importance with rent and food.

psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Analog cable is gay. It's like the dark ages or something... is there still anything worth watching on it?
    Eh? Well, I have analog cable -- on my S3 in fact -- and I don't think I'm gay ... with my wife and children here I'm pretty sure that's good evidence that I'm not.

I'll give you the fact that there's already not much worth watching. My TiVo units are already full of stuff I don't bother to watch. To upgrade [downgrade] to the local digital package and CableCards just isn't worth the extra cost just to get even more channels full of crap I won't watch.

To answer AlphaWolf's question, the S2 units have video-in jacks so you can at least hook them up to a cablebox/satellite receiver and use the IR blaster if need be. The S3 is disappointing in that they have no video-in and no (external) serial connection for an IR blaster eye -- if you want digital-cable you're stuck on the island of CableCards and have to hope support for them lasts. OTOH, the S3 has the finest darn analog tuner I've ever seen, it way outclasses my S2 units.

Analog cable is gay.
    Actually, the Logo Channel is only available to digital subcribers in my area so it could be argued that over here digital is perhaps a bit more gay. Still, I'll get digital cable as gayness doesn't bother me much... as long as nobody is trying to be gay with me, that is. The Tivo let's you set channel preferences so it's all good.

Hmm...thats gay.
    See what you started? Troublemaker...

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

I'm probably going to lose my DTV sub soon (can't really afford it anymore, don't watch tv that much lately, I only really watch southpark, BSG, and a few others, which I can get with local cable for like $20 a month on a student discount,) so I am thinking about doing something similar to this -- that is, buying a lifetime SA2 unit on ebay, as I refuse to pay $12.50 a month for it.

Problem though, is how do you tell whether or not the ebay units really have a lifetime sub on em?
    At the risk of being a heretic, if you're going this route take a look at MythTV. For not too much money you can put together a dual HDTV tuner system.

I just put together a system for a friend. On basic cable I was able to tune in all my local stations in HDTV due to them being clear QAM (your luck will vary however. I managed to get quite a few HDTV stations in basic cable in addition to the locals). Either that or via a set of 20 year old rabbit ears I got all my local (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc) in ATSC HDTV.

I was actually very impressed and I think I may get rid of DTV and go Myth (considering nearly everything I watch can be found on locals. Everything else can be found via a torrent or netflix).
    I'd rather be a killer than a victim.