Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Best DirecTivo Series 2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11

    Best DirecTivo Series 2

    I am looking into buying a DirecTivo Series 2, but I was just wondering which one is the best option. For example, which one is most easily hacked, or which one is the most reliable?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    6,413
    There are basically two versions of the series 2 DTivo. The original series 2's are also called the non-RID (Receiver ID) models (Hughes HDVR2, Philips DSR7000, and RCA DVR39). The later series 2 models had the RID feature, which is just an added layer of security added by DirecTV. Otherwise, all RID and non-RID models are identical internally. There is no one particular make or model that outshines any other in terms of reliability or hackability. They all use the exact same software.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    There are basically two versions of the series 2 DTivo. The original series 2's are also called the non-RID (Receiver ID) models (Hughes HDVR2, Philips DSR7000, and RCA DVR39). The later series 2 models had the RID feature, which is just an added layer of security added by DirecTV. Otherwise, all RID and non-RID models are identical internally. There is no one particular make or model that outshines any other in terms of reliability or hackability. They all use the exact same software.
    Thanks for the answer. Last thing, would suggest RID or non-RID?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    5,601
    Two points. Captain_Video neglected to mention the Series 2.5 R10. (I make the same mistake). This one requires a prom replacement - avoid it.

    Non-rid vs rid? If you are going to replace an existing standard receiver (RCA 420 for example), go with the non-rid system. You won't have to deal with a CSR to activate it; you can use the 'Ext 722' trick.

    Otherwise, let the usual parameters guide you - seller's feedback, cost, shipping cost, etc.

    PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

    "You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

    HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    Two points. Captain_Video neglected to mention the Series 2.5 R10. (I make the same mistake). This one requires a prom replacement - avoid it.

    Non-rid vs rid? If you are going to replace an existing standard receiver (RCA 420 for example), go with the non-rid system. You won't have to deal with a CSR to activate it; you can use the 'Ext 722' trick.

    Otherwise, let the usual parameters guide you - seller's feedback, cost, shipping cost, etc.

    PlainBill
    Thank you for the response. I have almost chosen the correct receiver, but I was just wondering the the 'Ext 722' trick is.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by J92Devils View Post
    Thank you for the response. I have almost chosen the correct receiver, but I was just wondering the the 'Ext 722' trick is.
    Remove the card from an early DirecTV receiver (I.E. RCA DRD420) and put it in the DirecTiVo (this must be a card which is currently subscribed to your account, the DirecTiVo must be hooked up to the satellite, and you must already have at least 1 DirecTiVo on your account). Call 1-800-directv. Go through the voice activated menu system and report that you have a 'call ext 722' error. This will marry the card to your DirecTiVo.

    DirecTV CSRs are inconsistent; some may allow you to move a card from an older receiver into a DirecTiVo, others insist on selling you a new card. This avoids that hassle.

    PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

    "You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

    HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    6,413
    Two points. Captain_Video neglected to mention the Series 2.5 R10. (I make the same mistake). This one requires a prom replacement - avoid it.
    Actually, I didn't mention it because the OP only asked about series 2 models. The R10 is a series 2.5, as you have already mentioned. The omission was intentional and not an oversight.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    Actually, I didn't mention it because the OP only asked about series 2 models. The R10 is a series 2.5, as you have already mentioned. The omission was intentional and not an oversight.
    Ahh!!! But some sources fail to distinguish between the Series 2 and 2.5.

    PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

    "You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

    HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    6,413
    Now, that's an oversight.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    83
    Personally I'm partial to the RCA DVR40 or DVR80 but that's only because my first TiVo was a DVR40. I bought 3 brand new at the store then about a year later hacked those 3 and added 5 more. I've since added 2 HR10-250's and now 2 HR20's.

    The DVR40 and DVR80 (identical aside from the size of the hard drive, 40gb or 80gb) are simple to hack and I've seen many of them on eBay. The cheapest one that I got on eBay was $5 plus $20 shipping. The other 4 were in the same price range, between $30 and $50 each.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    6,413
    All non-RID models (HDVR2, DSR7000, and DVR39) are identical to all other non-RID models and all RID models are the same as other RID models. The only difference is the faceplates and the drive sizes. They all currently use the exact same software, except for the model differentiation noted in the system information screen, and are all hacked the exact same way. The choice all boils down to which model has the most pleasing appearance to you. I personally prefer the Philips RID models as having the nicest appearance, but YMMV.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •