Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Splitting DirecTv Signal

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    I have read some hints at several places that they're going to go back to TiVo soon...
    Hold your breathe, or don't.....

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    Hold your breathe, or don't.....
    No need, I have 11 TiVo's and they work fine. If they start selling new units good for people that don't have TiVo's. If they don't, c'est la vie.

No need, I have 11 TiVo's and they work fine. If they start selling new units good for people that don't have TiVo's. If they don't, c'est la vie.
    You sure watch a lot of TV

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    You sure watch a lot of TV
    I like to record the entire NFL schedule and archive the games. 1 room alone has 6.

I should actually revise my statement, I have 9 TiVo's and 2 HR20's. I actually have 2 other TiVo's (Stand Alones) but they aren't hooked up and aren't activated.

I know little about the NFL schedule but I assume many games are showing at the same time?

Wouldnt it be far more efficient to build a MythTV box with multiple tuners?

In my experience, DirecTV + MythTV doesn't give acceptable video quality. DirecTV's bit rate going directly to the disk is barely acceptable, but if you then convert to analog and redigitize before storing it to disk, it's really poor.

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    I know little about the NFL schedule but I assume many games are showing at the same time?

Wouldnt it be far more efficient to build a MythTV box with multiple tuners?
    Yes, there are 8 to 9 games playing at any 1 time normally on a Sunday afternoon.

I know little about MythTV but the NFL Sunday Ticket (the subscription package you have to have to get all NFL games on Sunday) is only available through DirecTV so I am required to have enough receivers hooked up in order to record all of the games.

I'm open to suggestions on ways to do it differently but I don't think there are any other ways.

Yes, there are 8 to 9 games playing at any 1 time normally on a Sunday afternoon.

I know little about MythTV but the NFL Sunday Ticket (the subscription package you have to have to get all NFL games on Sunday) is only available through DirecTV so I am required to have enough receivers hooked up in order to record all of the games.

I'm open to suggestions on ways to do it differently but I don't think there are any other ways.
    As far as I know, DirecTiVos are the best possible way. You could use standard DirecTV receivers, but even using the composite outputs will give you a degraded signal, as well as requiring twice as many receivers. DirecTiVos are relatively cheap, they record the digital signal, and all steps to extract the recordings are well documented.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

You need one tuner for each transponder (i.e. frequency) from which you want to record. You can use the birthday paradox to guesstimate this number, although you might luck out and find that they grouped a bunch of games on a small number of transponders.

Multiple DVB cards in a PC would do the trick. Of course they need to be able to handle DSS (e.g. Twinhan DST-1020a). Some of the older Pentium 4/Athlon 64 desktop motherboards, or server-class systems, have 5+ PCI slots, which may substantially reduce the number of PCs you need. Depending on how much hardware PID filtering the card can do, you might have to worry about running out of PCI bandwidth.

Alternatively, you could probably record at least 4-5 programs at once on each DTiVo (assuming that they are all on <=2 transponders), but unlike the DVB cards, there is no publicly available information on how to set up the transport hardware to do this.

You only need one access card since you can decrypt the programs one at a time, offline. This might not be possible for HD programming.

With a little tweaking you can use a stacker + splitters, or maybe even just splitters alone, to avoid having to buy 22 multiswitch ports. This gets trickier if some of the games are on different orbital positions.

There are external USB tuners that should also do the trick. I've got four VBox USB-A-3560 ATSC tuners and one Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950 USB ATSC tuner connected to my HTPC and I'm pretty sure MythTV supports them as well. If you're recording standard definition programming then there are other USB models available. Using a DirecTivo would definitely give you the best picture quality for anything broadcast via DirecTV, however. For anything broadcast via OTA then any of the aforementioned tuners and MythTV should work fine. If you're not a Linux geek then there's always WinXP or Vista. I use BeyondTV with XP Pro but SageTV is also a popular PVR program.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez View Post
    You need one tuner for each transponder (i.e. frequency) from which you want to record. You can use the birthday paradox to guesstimate this number, although you might luck out and find that they grouped a bunch of games on a small number of transponders.

Multiple DVB cards in a PC would do the trick. Of course they need to be able to handle DSS (e.g. Twinhan DST-1020a). Some of the older Pentium 4/Athlon 64 desktop motherboards, or server-class systems, have 5+ PCI slots, which may substantially reduce the number of PCs you need. Depending on how much hardware PID filtering the card can do, you might have to worry about running out of PCI bandwidth.

Alternatively, you could probably record at least 4-5 programs at once on each DTiVo (assuming that they are all on <=2 transponders), but unlike the DVB cards, there is no publicly available information on how to set up the transport hardware to do this.

You only need one access card since you can decrypt the programs one at a time, offline. This might not be possible for HD programming.

With a little tweaking you can use a stacker + splitters, or maybe even just splitters alone, to avoid having to buy 22 multiswitch ports. This gets trickier if some of the games are on different orbital positions.
    ADH, what's the cost of the DST-1020a? Unless it's mighty cheap and can work with fairly low CPU power, this would appear to be an expensive solution.

Just to firm up some parameters for the non-football fans, there are 32 NFL teams at this time. This means there are a maximum of 16 games every week. NBC and ESPN each carry one game a week. This means VaBeachGuy would have to record a maximum of 14 channels at one time, 16 if he also wants the HD versions of the games (I THINK DirecTV only carries two games in HD). There are two different start times; some start at 1:00 PM (Eastern time), others at 4:15. However, games CAN run long, so it is best to assume you will have to record 14 games at the same time.

Signal level should not be a problem, especially if he is using the 'Slimline' 5 lnb dish. He can get 16 lines with good signal level using three WB68 multiswitches. Recording could be done with 7 SD DTiVos and one HR10-250.

One big advantage to using DirecTiVos for this is the process is virtually plug and play using off the shelf hardware. Software modifications are well documented, also.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    As far as I know, DirecTiVos are the best possible way. You could use standard DirecTV receivers, but even using the composite outputs will give you a degraded signal, as well as requiring twice as many receivers. DirecTiVos are relatively cheap, they record the digital signal, and all steps to extract the recordings are well documented.

PlainBill
    I agree, the DirecTiVo's seem the best way to do it. I've done this for 3 seasons now and I can't think of a better way. If DTV moves away from TiVo completely I'll have to come up with a new idea.

Here's what my setup looks like, part of it anyway. This accounts for 6 of my 11 TiVo's/DVR's: