Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splitting DirecTv Signal

Splitting DirecTv Signal

Is it possible to split a DirecTv input which comes out of the wall in one of my rooms?

No. You will need a multiswitch. If you have a round dish you will need 2 lines going to the multiswitch and can get up to 16 lines out. If you have an oval dish you will need a 4 input multiswitch.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

If you need more than one connection in a room then you need a dedicated feed from the dish for each receiver. Depending on the type of dish you have you'll have either 1 (round dish, single LNB), 2 (round dish, dual LNB), or 4 (oval dish, 3 or 5-LNB modules) lines coming from the dish. If you need to expand beyond the number of lines the dish can provide then you'll need a multiswitch. Note that if you have the old single LNB round dish you'll have to upgrade to a dual LNB at a minimum in order to use a multiswitch.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I've recently read that you can use a stacker to put multiple LNB outputs on a single line, and the resulting cable can then be split. Has anyone tried this or know whether it works?

Quote Originally Posted by kfcrary View Post
    I've recently read that you can use a stacker to put multiple LNB outputs on a single line, and the resulting cable can then be split. Has anyone tried this or know whether it works?
    I haven't tried it; a brief Google search didn't show anything designed for DirecTV signals. I vaguely remember hearing something about it, but don't remember the details.

The question to ask is 'Would it be worth the expense'? You can buy dual coax for about $.12 per foot; for $15 you would be able to pull 100' of dual coax to replace the single (the extra $3 is for the connectors).

Heck, hiring a professional to do the work would likely cost less than the stacker / unstacker units.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by kfcrary View Post
    Pretty sure it works for DTV. I looked into a while ago. Not sure if it now works with all 3-4 SATs DirecTV is using. But the solution is sub-par. It's insanely expensive (imo) and you don't get much out of it. At the point where the dish comes in, you need a very expensive (couple hundred dollar) stacker unit that'll stack multiple signals onto a single cable and then you'd need to have a de-stacker on each line coming down. I'm guessing your lines from the SAT don't come into the house at one central point, so you'd have to do rewiring just to get to that point. As PlainBill said, running some dual coax is definitely gonna be cheaper and give you less headaches.

My advice -
    Go onto the DSLReports forums and you can find plenty of cable/satellite contractors. Ask one of them to do a side job at your house. They already have all the tools and cabling. They'll do a better job than you can and it will be cheaper than the stacker.

An interesting bit of trivia: the tuners in the Series2.0 DTiVo (CX24108/9) can take a stacked signal without the need for a destacker.

This may require a (relatively simple) software patch.

Ok, how come in my house, when DTV was installed with a single LNB dish, my receiver downstairs and my receiver upstairs could be on different channels?

It sounds like that should have been impossible...

Quote Originally Posted by chaeberle View Post
    Ok, how come in my house, when DTV was installed with a single LNB dish, my receiver downstairs and my receiver upstairs could be on different channels?

It sounds like that should have been impossible...
    The terminology is confusing. A round dish can have either a single lnb or a dual lnb. When mounted on the arm, the two look identical. If you look at the base of the lnb you would find the single has only one connector, the dual has two. With a single lnb you can have only one receiver. With a dual lnb you can have two receivers on two different channels.

To make it MORE confusing, the Phase I and Phase II oval dishes have 2 lnbs, each of them dual lnbs, and it's referred to as a dual lnb oval dish. As opposed to the triple lnb oval dish for HD reception.

PlainBill

IIRC, the single LNBs had two ports, so you could run two lines to two receivers. To go for three or more, the two lines had to go to a switch as described earlier.
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

AH! Thats why.

My "single" LNB had one phallic symbol, but two connectors.

So why does the three-phallic symbol only have two connectors?

And why do I care? I'm dumping DTV like they dumped TiVO, anyway...

AH! Thats why.

My "single" LNB had one phallic symbol, but two connectors.
    Sounds like Crocodile Dundee "That's not a phallic symbol. THIS is a phallic symbol."

So why does the three-phallic symbol only have two connectors?
    Ahh - because you can't count? It has four connectors.
    Well, I'm sure it has something to do with your fascination for phallic symbols...

PlainBill

I think my fascination stems from them dicking me over

I could have sworn, however, that it only had two...but no matter.

AH! Thats why.
    I have read some hints at several places that they're going to go back to TiVo soon, plus they didn't dump TiVo. They still have a contract with them to service all TiVo's on their system. Of course there are no new DirecTV TiVo's at this time but if they turn back to them as has been hinted then that should change.