Thread: Gettings shows,music, and photo onto Tivo from PC with 6.2a - superpatch installed

Gettings shows,music, and photo onto Tivo from PC with 6.2a - superpatch installed

1. Stock HD went out in my DTiVo Samsung SIR-S4120R (about 4 years old).
    2. Purchased new HD from BestBuy (250Gig).
    3. Purchased PTVnet and Instacake from DVRUpgrade.
    4. After many failed attempts at trying to get my Pimary CD-ROM drive to boot as Slave - I finally was able to install PTVnet and Instacake on the New HD.
    5. Put in newly steup HD in DTivo 4120R.
    5a. Before booting TiVo connected a wired FA120 for NetGear.
    6. Version 6.2a
    7. FTP - Good and works via Windows XP and SmartFTP.
    8. TiVoWeb Plus - Good and works via TivoIP Address.
    9. Telnet - Good able to get bash prompt.
    10. Searched for MANY days and hours through these forums trying to figure out what version of SuperPatch I: could run, should run, and was able to locate. finally figured out that I had to "patch" the 1.2 to 1.12. However, the PATCH command in the BUSYBOX directory (that came with PTVnet/Instacake) does not work with the '-o' swtich.
    11. Tried installing All-in-One (AIO) since this is where the PATCH command was supposed to come from. Found multiple instances of 'rc.sysinit.author' and one instance of 'rc.sysinit'. The instructions for AIO did not give the path where the file to add the 'export' command should be made.
    12. Finally found where someone posted a working binary 'patch' file, however, they didn't indicate where the file should be placed. I tried putting it in tivo-bin, but still got the same error, then I put it in 'busybox' overriting the one that came with PTVnet and the 'patch' command worked. BUT, at the exact same time I found where someone actually posted the .tcl file for Superpatch 1.12 and no longer needed the patch command.
    13. FINALLY ran ./superpatch version 1.12 on the DTiVo running 6.2a -- GOOD! I see Photo & Music in my main Tivo menu.
    14. Ran the command to name my Tivo and named it LivingRoom.
    15. I only have one Tivo and was reading what my next steps might be.... here's where I'm stuck....

I want to be able to ADD shows to my Tivo from my PC and watch them on my Tivo (I only have one Tivo). And I want to be able to look at Photos and Play music on my Tivo that live on my PC.

Sounds like I need Tivo Desktop? Okay, i read some posts on TivoDeskop and found where someone mentioned that as long as you just skip/next past the Multimedia Access Key on a 6.2a DTivo you can still use Tivo Desktop 2.5 - WRONG.

I installed Tivo Desktop 2.5 and my PC nor my Tivo could see each other on the network. (Telnet, FTP, and TWP still work as expeted.)

I then read another post that stated if you have 6.2a you must run Tivo Desktop 2.1 - I uninstalled 2.5 and installed 2.1 - I can now see Music and Photos on my computer, but I can't watch shows on my Tivo that are on on my PC, nor but shows on my Tivo from my PC.

Okay - so now I thought, maybe there's something else I can use to accomplish the same results - I really don't care about taking shows off my Tivo but that would be nice in the event I ever have to format my HD.

I found many references to TySuiteJ and found that TyTools is no longer used/supported. After reading the install directions for TySuiteJ, they are too cryptic for me to figure out. I understand that if I'd been burried in Lynix and Tivo for more than a few weeks, I'd have a better understanding - or friends who could help. but I'm totally on my own.

can anyone offer any assistance? I am not afraid of computers and understand what I'm being told to do, but the steps for TySuiteJ are too cryptic for me to figure out knowing nothing about the file structure of Tivo and zero knowlege of Lynix (but I do understand DOS, VBA, Flash, etc.) Should I even use TySuiteJ to accomplish what I need to? I there anything better for a DTivo 6.2a to do what I want?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you a background of where I am.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!
    Last edited by KTrentLR; 08-23-2007 at 08:34 PM.

See here for info about Tivo Desktop. And the program you're looking for to send shows to your Tivo is called "Tivoserver".

Quote Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
    See here for info about Tivo Desktop. And the program you're looking for to send shows to your Tivo is called "Tivoserver".
    Thanks for the link, this is the software I have installed. It does allow the Tivo to see the PC to play music and view photos.

However, when I go to the screens in Tivo Desktop to upload or link in shows, Tivo Desktop states that it does not see any Tivo's on my network.

Addtionaly the Tivo name LivingRoom does display when in Tivo Desktop I go to: Server >> Tivo Properties I can see the Tivo named LivingRoom (which is what I named my Tivo) and when I select the radial button "only those I select" and then put a check mark in the LivingRoom box, it still can't see any Tivos when I go to video options.
    Last edited by KTrentLR; 08-23-2007 at 11:37 PM.

TivoDesktop WILL NOT work with directv tivos for moving video in any direction, no matter what you do. They are completely missing the TTG code. If you want to extract shows to your pc, you'll need mfs_ftp, TySuiteJ, tytools, etc. If you want to push video from your pc to the tivo, you'll need either tivoserver or mfs_ftp. TivoDesktop is only good for music/photo sharing with directv tivos.

Try Tytools, as long as you have applied SuperPatch (and rebooted your Dtivo), that is what you need to get stuff from the Dtivo to your PC.

See TyTool 10r4 support thread: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47025

Quote Originally Posted by eBoyDog View Post
    Try Tytools, as long as you have applied SuperPatch (and rebooted your Dtivo), that is what you need to get stuff from the Dtivo to your PC.

See TyTool 10r4 support thread: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47025
    Thanks for the information!

I was able to get TyTools 10r4 up and running with little effort. I was able to download a show from my Tivo to my PC and decode it.

What I really want to do is, upload or stream shows TO my Tivo so I can watch them in the LivingRoom. (I currently have a dedicated laptop behide the TV I use to watch shows from my PC.) I want to release the chains of the laptop and watch shows on my Tivo that I either stream to the Tivo, or upload to the Tivo.

If TyTools 10r4 can do this I can't find the option... is there another application I should use to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    TivoDesktop WILL NOT work with directv tivos for moving video in any direction, no matter what you do. They are completely missing the TTG code. If you want to extract shows to your pc, you'll need mfs_ftp, TySuiteJ, tytools, etc. If you want to push video from your pc to the tivo, you'll need either tivoserver or mfs_ftp. TivoDesktop is only good for music/photo sharing with directv tivos.
    Thanks!!!!

I did a search for both TivoServer and MFS_FTP. In doing so I found this post which made it a snap to install TivoServer.

First went to: http://www.dvrpedia.com/Main_Page
    Which then sent me to: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=283007

I'm now moving shows, music and photos off and onto my Tivo!!!

where did u find the .tcl?

12. Finally found where someone posted a working binary 'patch' file, however, they didn't indicate where the file should be placed. I tried putting it in tivo-bin, but still got the same error, then I put it in 'busybox' overriting the one that came with PTVnet and the 'patch' command worked. BUT, at the exact same time I found where someone actually posted the .tcl file for Superpatch 1.12 and no longer needed the patch command.
    Could you point me to the .tcl you downloaded? I just can't get the new patch to work.

Jeff
    DSR6000 - 109 hrs - Cachecard (caching never worked) --- Fried!!! - Smells Crispy too!
    SAT-T60 - 80 hrs - TurboNET, Xtreme 3.1, Extraction Goodies --- Fried!!!
    SAT-T60 - 35 hrs - dead modem, but happy thanx to DealDatabase --- Fried!!!
    -----------------LIGHTNING SUCKS!!------------------
    SAT-T60 - 35 hrs
    DSR704 - 109 hrs - all the current goodies
    DSR704 - 35 hrs - all the current goodies

Nevermind. The problem was using the wrong ftp client. Using Filezilla to transfer the files to the Tivo solved a lot of issues. My usual Mac FTP program said it was a binary transfer, but it was not. Again, another reason to keep this old clunker of a PC around.
    DSR6000 - 109 hrs - Cachecard (caching never worked) --- Fried!!! - Smells Crispy too!
    SAT-T60 - 35 hrs

You could've easily just run dos2unix on the file that was uploaded via the OS X FTP client.

good to know for the future
    SAT-T60 - 35 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by tivodoc View Post
    good to know for the future
    Sorry for the delay in my reply. I just got an e-mail that there was activity on this post.

Glad you found what you were looking for.

could someone maybe point me to the patch as well i've tried the past couple days to get this working and i've got nowhere