Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HR10-250 High Temp Error, Possable temp fix via script?

Hi all,

I just registered tonight so I could thank everyone who contributed to the power supply fix for the HR10-250 HD DirecTiVo.

I pondered for a couple of days to decide what to do about my failing unit. Every evening after work I would find it with the overheated warning message. I would power it down and it came back to life, until the last two days. Finally it would not complete a reboot.

I recalled hearing about power supply problems and decided to search for a replacement. In the course of my searching I ran across this thread.

Earlier this evening I replaced the two electrolytic capacitors and now my HR10-250 is back in service. I also have noticed that the random digital audio dropouts I was hearing before are now completely gone.

Thanks again for helping me solve this problem for $2.90 (2 cap's + tax).

Now I begin my exploration of this forum site.

Dave

Question Removing the heatsinks?

Removing those heatsinks doesn't seem to be a trivial task. The screws holding the power transistors are not easily accessible, and the heatsinks themselves seem to be soldered to the board. Any tips, tricks or tools for performing this task?

-Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymc View Post
    Removing those heatsinks doesn't seem to be a trivial task. The screws holding the power transistors are not easily accessible, and the heatsinks themselves seem to be soldered to the board. Any tips, tricks or tools for performing this task?

-Jerry
    I'm not familiar with the power supply for the HR10-250, but it isn't necessary (or desirable) to remove the heat sinks. Unsolder the cap leads and work them out from under the heat sink. They may be anchored with glue, but that is a very weak glue. I've done this on several power supplies for DSR7000 and HDVR2 without problems.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks Bill, I was going to try without removing them anyway, but wanted to check to see if there was anything I missed. I grabbed 2 caps from my local Rat Shack, fired up the soldering iron, donned my super-duper old guy magnifying glasses and swapped them out this afternoon. The RS caps were larger, so I had to squeeze them in, but my HR10 is working great now.

For those wondering, my unit's symptoms were the "Internal temp too high" message at boot up, and it had been also having the audio dropouts. Classic case complete with the bulging caps.

Thanks to all who posted!

-Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymc View Post
    Thanks Bill, I was going to try without removing them anyway, but wanted to check to see if there was anything I missed. I grabbed 2 caps from my local Rat Shack, fired up the soldering iron, donned my super-duper old guy magnifying glasses and swapped them out this afternoon. The RS caps were larger, so I had to squeeze them in, but my HR10 is working great now.

For those wondering, my unit's symptoms were the "Internal temp too high" message at boot up, and it had been also having the audio dropouts. Classic case complete with the bulging caps.

Thanks to all who posted!

-Jerry
    As far as I am aware, Radio Shack does not carry high temp (105°C) caps. You may have an early failure of the replacements.

If you do not have a major electronics component distributor with over the counter sales in your area, there are several options. For years I have been a big fan of Digi-Key. They have an extensive range of parts available at very reasonable prices. Recently they have dropped their minimum order / handling charge requirements. As an example I recently ordered 18 caps to repair two power supplies for LCD monitors. The total price for the parts was $6.00, shipping was $2.18, they arrived 3 days after I placed the order.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

You're right, they don't have 105 C rated caps. These were rated 85 C, so they should last until the new HiDef DTivos come out, then it won't matter.

I have been having the same overheating others on here were having. I followed their advice and replaced the c42 and c15 capacitors with the radioshack ones. Now I can access the DVR again but now I have a new issue. It is unable to access the satellites. I'll shut things down and disconnect/ reconnect the satellite inputs and try again.

Disconnected and reconnected the sat inputs and the Directivo is back chugging along. Thank you too all those who posted before me in this thread for the insight and help.

While replacing the power supply capacitors on my HR10-250, I did a search for HR10-250 + bulging capacitors and found this site. Great info. The two 470uF 6.3V caps (C15,C42) were swollen as well as C17, C31 (2200uF 16V) and C14 (3300uF 16V). The 2nd 3300uF capacitor looked perfect. I had two Panasonic 470uF 10V FA series (low Z, 105C) caps in my collection of parts that I used for C15 and C42. While I was in there I replaced the other bulging capacitors with caps of similar ratings. It was so nice/easy working with through hole parts again! I buttoned her up and all is well.

My symptoms were what everyone has been seeing……the overheating message (unit turning off) and cut-outs in the digital audio out.

Matt

Bad Power Supply Caps.... System to hot and shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    While replacing the power supply capacitors on my HR10-250, I did a search for HR10-250 + bulging capacitors and found this site. Great info. The two 470uF 6.3V caps (C15,C42) were swollen as well as C17, C31 (2200uF 16V) and C14 (3300uF 16V). The 2nd 3300uF capacitor looked perfect. I had two Panasonic 470uF 10V FA series (low Z, 105C) caps in my collection of parts that I used for C15 and C42. While I was in there I replaced the other bulging capacitors with caps of similar ratings. It was so nice/easy working with through hole parts again! I buttoned her up and all is well.

My symptoms were what everyone has been seeing……the overheating message (unit turning off) and cut-outs in the digital audio out.

Matt

My HR10-250 was doing the same thing. screen shows a Warning saying that the system had to be shut down because it was to hot, yet using a thermal imager, didn't see any really hot spots. I looked closer at the Power supply thanks to the response from this community and lo and behold, there were two 470uf Caps that were popping out at the top. I remember back before I started getting this shutdown error message and the system did seem to lock up from time to time and the screen was not responsive to remote control commands. So if you see that, it's a good thing to check the power supply.

I did end up replacing those pesky Caps with a Radio$hock Model 272-1030. The voltage of the new ones was 35v vs. the old 6.3v which did make them a little larger but with a little creative pushing, they will fit. Jut do you best to keep the leads as short as possible to eliminate the possibility of them twisting and shoring out on one another.

Other than that, my MODed box booted up with no warnings at all, and now on to the next step. Getting a cheep dish so I can download the Channel guide and use it for only OTA viewing.

Yippiiman