Thread: Superpatch version 1.12

Superpatch version 1.12

OK, I get the -o error when I run the patch, and I am having a heck of a time getting the results I desire....

Specifically, I am having trouble following the direction:

Broken Patch Binaries (or, patch: invalid option -- o)
    If you're applying the diff on your Tivo, your installed version of "patch" may not work with the unified diffs used for the superpatch. The latest version of AlphaWolf's AIO TivoTools uses busybox for patch, which doesn't support "-o". If you get an error stating that the "-o" option is unsupported, please download a working version of patch here. If you need help doing this, please post to the Newbie Forum.

Can anyone provide instructions for this process for a novice?

1. The "here" in your quote is a link. Click on it to follow to the page it links to.
    2. There you will find an attachment: patch.gz. Download it.
    3. Transfer it to your tivo (e.g. via ftp).
    4. Ungzip it (gzip -d patch.gz).
    5. Move it to the directory where you store your hack binaries. For example, mv patch /tivohacks/bin substituting your hacks binary directory for /tivohacks/bin.

Updating Superpatch from 1.2 to 1.12 - Newbie Question

Thanks you for all you help. Since I am a novice, I think I am close, but I am just missing a minor detail or 10 (at least that is what I am hoping for).

Here is what I have done so far..... via a FTP (Filezilla), I copied the following files into my Tivo directory of /var/hack (all binary):

superpatch-1.2to1.12.diff.txt
    superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.2.tcl
    set_mrv_name_67.tcl

After I type in the following command in the directory of /var/hack:

patch -o superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.12.tcl < superpatch-1.2to1.12.diff.txt

I get following error (as previously described):

patch: invalid option -- o
    BusyBox v1.2.1 (2006.10.21-02:27+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: patch [-p<num>] [-i <diff>]

-p <num> Strip <num> leading components from file names
    -i <diff> Read <diff> instead of stdin

OK, so per previous posts, I have to download a new patch to make this thing work.

After downloading this file (patch.gz), I am told to place this on my Tivo.

Question : Where on my tivo do I place this? Jamie - Thank you for your post, but I cannot determine where this is to be placed? I tried it in the same directory as before (/var/hack) with no success.

Can you provide me the detail coding for this step? Again, I am sorry for being so elementary. I just want my tivo to be cool!

Thanks in advance....
    Last edited by bacher76; 08-31-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bacher76 View Post
    Question : Where on my tivo do I place this? Jamie - Thank you for your post, but I cannot determine where this is to be placed? I tried it in the same directory as before (/var/hack) with little to no success.
    I'd ftp patch.gz to a writable directory like /tmp. Then you have to ungzip it, as I described above. Finally, you have to mv it to the directory where you store your hack binaries. Is that /var/hack for you? The command which patch can tell you where your current (broken) patch is installed. That's where you want to install the new one to replace it.

upload patch.gz to /var/hack/

then type
    Code:
    cd /var/hack/
    gzip -d patch.gz
    ./patch -o superpatch-678all-NutKase-1.12.tcl < superpatch-1.2to1.12.diff.txt
    the ./ is very important. it'll force bash to use the patch thats in your current directory, which would be /var/hack. if you don't have the ./, it'll use the busybox patch... which is usually in /busybox or /tivo-bin.

Thanks to all for your help... you could not have made it easier!

Tivo is working great thanks to all yor help!!

Ben

Drez -

Thanks for helping me earlier this month. Your suggestions worked! However, I am now trying to add this to a second upgraded HD in my Tivo upstairs. Same model, some everything.

After I patch the file as previously described by you (with the gzip -d patch.gz & ./patch -o superpatch-678all-NutKase-1.12.tcl < superpatch-1.2to1.12.diff.txt), everything works as planned.

However, when I enter:
    bash-2.02# ./superpatch-678all-NutKase-1.12.tcl

I get the following error message:
    bash: ./superpatch-678all-NutKase-1.12.tcl: Permission denied

Any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by bacher76 View Post
    I get the following error message:
    bash: ./superpatch-678all-NutKase-1.12.tcl: Permission denied

Any ideas??
    Code:
    chmod 755 superpatch-678all-NutKase-1.12.tcl
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...