Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A real newbie question

A real newbie question

I have a dvr d****tv unit that I got from d****tv and it belongs to them. I guess I sort of lease it they want it back if I choose to cancle my subscription. Any how my question is this. Since it belongs to d****tv I realy don't want to hack it. Is it possible to buy one say off of ebay and clone my hard drive and use the cloned drive and my subed card in the new unit so I can hack it? I'm realy not interested in stealing from d****tv I am only going to use it in the new reciever and I'm going to tuck away the old one till they want it back. I would rather not get yet another subscription if I don't have to.
    Thanks in advance.
    Spanky

First, what model is your DVR? Is it a TiVo or a DirecTV brand?

If you want to get a TiVo that you can hack you can get several types from eBay that work well. The one that I use a lot is the RCA DVR40 or DVR80 (I have 7 DVR40/80's). They are easily hacked but are only SD boxes, the HR10-250 can also be hacked and is HD but will likely only be good for DirecTV's HD signal for another couple of months.

If you get an RCA DVR40 or 80 then just go get InstanCacke and PTVNet and you're in business.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    If you get an RCA DVR40 or 80 then just go get InstanCacke and PTVNet and you're in business.
    If you buy a working direcTiVo you could skip InstantCake and save yourself $20. Heck, if you follow the links in Cheer's Roadmap you could save yourself the $20 for PTVnet too.

InstantCake is an excellent product if a drive fails and you want to get back in operation quickly. It is no more necessary for hacking a TiVo than golashes are for cooking.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Me again

Well I'm not sure what I have all I can find is Directv plus and model:R15. You may need more then that. So what you guys are saying is I can purchase one of the models above and my subbed card (and ALOT of reading) will work in the new reciever? I'm not much woried about the HD I'm to simple for that. Thanks for replying I'll try not to waste to much of your time. If you can get me started I can get rolling from there.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    If you buy a working direcTiVo you could skip InstantCake and save yourself $20. Heck, if you follow the links in Cheer's Roadmap you could save yourself the $20 for PTVnet too.

InstantCake is an excellent product if a drive fails and you want to get back in operation quickly. It is no more necessary for hacking a TiVo than golashes are for cooking.

PlainBill
    Yeah, I did a lot without the instantcakes but for someone that's a "newbie" to the whole thing I figured I'd mention the simplest method. I'm still a "newbie" myself in some ways, though I have more than 20 years experience with computers and the like so I'm not a complete "newbie".

So far, in my experience Instantcake is the simple way to go and like you said probably the fastest. Almost "plug and play". For me, I'm constantly pulling hard drives out and plugging new ones in so I opted for "fast and easy".

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpanky View Post
    Well I'm not sure what I have all I can find is Directv plus and model:R15. You may need more then that. So what you guys are saying is I can purchase one of the models above and my subbed card (and ALOT of reading) will work in the new reciever? I'm not much woried about the HD I'm to simple for that. Thanks for replying I'll try not to waste to much of your time. If you can get me started I can get rolling from there.
    Someone else may be able to speak on the subject of the R15, I'm not up on them at all so I have no idea what is involved in hacking them or if they can be hacked. But on the topic of the RCA DVR40 or DVR80 they can be hacked easily.

When you get one and have a hard drive hacked and ready to go you'll likely have to get a new card from DirecTV, the one you currently have will only work in it's current box. I have been able to get them to re-activate "dead" cards but 9 times out of 10 they won't and require that you get a new one.

I've been told that they charge $20 for the card but every time I've had to get a new one they've sent it for free, but I figure that's because I have so many boxes that I'm paying for so they just give it to me.

As for getting it all done, you can check the link above provided by PlainBill and if you are comfortable with that process go with it. Otherwise, if you are a "real newbie" as the title of the thread suggests and you don't feel comfortable with that then Instantcake and PTVNet 6.2 may be the way to go for you.

It's more simple than simple with Instantcake/PTVNet, just plug a blank Hard Drive into a computer with a CD drive, boot to the PTVNet disc, answer a few questions, swap the disc with the Instantcake disc, answer a few more questions and it's done.

There's a few more steps after that but it's real simple.

The R15 is DTV's non-Tivo standard def model and is currently unhackable. You should return the R15 and get yourself a used S2 DTivo from ebay. You'll own it and you can hack it as much as you desire.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

A couple of additional points: If you get a working HDVR2, DSR7000, or RCA DVR39 (non-rid units) you may be able to take the card from the R15, place it in the new receiver, then call DirecTV, using the menus to specify a 'call Ext 722 error. This should marry the card to the new receiver.

It is not possible to use a clone of the drive in the R15 in the new receiver. The two systems are not software compatible, and essential information is stored on the system board in any case. Rather, buy a new, larger drive and clone the existing drive from your purchased system to the new drive. This allows you to hack a drive while keeping the original drive safe for test and backup purposes.

MFS live is a good source of a 'tools' cd, as well as a command line generator for the copy operation.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 09-05-2007 at 06:20 PM.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

hey gang

OK thanks for all the help. This is a good start for me, I will look about for a s2 reciever and just call and get a new card. Sounds like that may be the less painfull. I saw many suggestions for s2 recievers I'll see if I can find one and get started. Thanks again for all the help.
    Spanky

Another newb here, couple of questions

Continuing this thread as I am in the same situation as BigSpanky.
    Just got an RCA DVR40 off ebay. Bought a new WD 500GB IDE hard drive. I want to remove the old 40GB drive, enable the large disk, and apply "the zipper."
    I have acquired an InstantCake image for this DVR, and can probably get PTVnet too. I am very skilled with computers and linux (i've written a 1,000 line file manager in gcc when studying Comp Sci) but also lazy and just want to get up and running, so InstantCake and PTV sound good for now.
    My questions:
    1) VaBeachGuy wrote: "It's more simple than simple with Instantcake/PTVNet, just plug a blank Hard Drive into a computer with a CD drive, boot to the PTVNet disc, answer a few questions, swap the disc with the Instantcake disc, answer a few more questions and it's done."

-Will doing this also enable the tivo to handle the 500GB drive? I can just "prepare" it in this manner, hook it up to the DVR40, and activate tivo service with DirecTV and be all set?

-I have a standalone series2 tivo that I added a 250GB drive to in 2003 using mfstools, wasn't hard at all. What can be done with this thing now that I have DirecTivo? Is there a way to keep it running, and stop paying $13/mn? At least I figure I can use it to pause live TV in another room. I've also read that you can transfer files between tivos, so would it be easist to transfer files from the DirecTivo to the series2, and then use TivoToGo to transfer them to a computer? Or is there an easier way to transfer DirecTivo files to a computer now?

Thanks in advance for the advice, and sorry for the newb questions but I just got DirecTV and we all have to start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by zardano View Post
    Continuing this thread as I am in the same situation as BigSpanky.
    Just got an RCA DVR40 off ebay. Bought a new WD 500GB IDE hard drive. I want to remove the old 40GB drive, enable the large disk, and apply "the zipper."
    I have acquired an InstantCake image for this DVR, and can probably get PTVnet too. I am very skilled with computers and linux (i've written a 1,000 line file manager in gcc when studying Comp Sci) but also lazy and just want to get up and running, so InstantCake and PTV sound good for now.
    My questions:
    1) VaBeachGuy wrote: "It's more simple than simple with Instantcake/PTVNet, just plug a blank Hard Drive into a computer with a CD drive, boot to the PTVNet disc, answer a few questions, swap the disc with the Instantcake disc, answer a few more questions and it's done."

-Will doing this also enable the tivo to handle the 500GB drive? I can just "prepare" it in this manner, hook it up to the DVR40, and activate tivo service with DirecTV and be all set?

-I have a standalone series2 tivo that I added a 250GB drive to in 2003 using mfstools, wasn't hard at all. What can be done with this thing now that I have DirecTivo? Is there a way to keep it running, and stop paying $13/mn? At least I figure I can use it to pause live TV in another room. I've also read that you can transfer files between tivos, so would it be easist to transfer files from the DirecTivo to the series2, and then use TivoToGo to transfer them to a computer? Or is there an easier way to transfer DirecTivo files to a computer now?

Thanks in advance for the advice, and sorry for the newb questions but I just got DirecTV and we all have to start somewhere.
    I'm not sure if it's something in the air, or football season, but we seem to be having a run of less-than-stellar reasoning lately. InstantCake is unnecessary; PTVnet is an expensive piece of junk. If you think you are saving effort, just search this board for problems people are having with PTVnet, and are unable to get support.

If you have a working DVR40, why spend the money for InstantCake??? MFSlive has an excellent tools cd that will clone the 40 Gig drive from the RCA to the new drive and expand it to use all the space. (You may have to use their beta version). They even have a command line generator that will take all the guesswork out of the operation.

Now, you WILL need a killhdinitrd kernel; DVRupgrade does have a $5 tools cd that includes one. OR you can check in the image begging thread and find a link to one that is free.

As far as enabling the USB ports, the little secret DVRupgrade doesn't want you to know is they are ALREADY ENABLED. All you have to have is one line in rc.sysinit.author to turn off the TiVo's firewall.

Cheer has a good summary of everything you need in his roadmap.

PlainBill

PlainBill, thanks for setting me straight. Still trying to wrap my head around all of this, its overwhelming.

Pretty obvious I don't need an an InstantCake image if I have a working DVR40, that makes sense. I've used mfstools in the past to upgrade/make a CD backup of my 540040, seems like MFSLive is basically the same thing, no problem there.

As far as the killhdinitrd kernel, Cheer says: "You'll need to break the chain of trust that prevents changes to the Tivo's system by dd'ing over a compatible kernel that has been killhdinitrd'd". From your last post I take it I cannot apply killhdinitrd to the existing kernel? Once I obtain one, do I just copy it over the existing kernel? If so, what is its path? Would I use MFSLive again to boot into linux to tweak the harddrive after imaging it with the DVR40 image, or am I editing the backed-up image file and then re-imaging it to the drive I want to use?

How do I get the files to the tivo harddrive so that I can use AlphaWolf's all-in-one utilities and apply NutKase's 67superpatch? Do I need to have them on another drive connected to the same computer, and then mount that drive in linux? I've had problems mounting NTFS partitions in linux before, would I need a FAT32? I have an old version of Knoppix already burned (ver 3.81 from 04/05), I could do all of this work on the drive with that, correct? Seems like the MFSLive bootdisk should also work tho. [smbclient will work to transfer files from an NTFS drive running winxp, so I suppose if connected to the same network as the linux boot CD comp with the tivo drive connected this would be possible. Is that the common practice, or am I being retarded again?]

Once these patches are applied, does this mean my drive has hacks enabled, or do I then need to apply whatever hacks I want? My primary goal right now is just to record shows unscrambled, and enable the usb ports so that I can ftp them to a computer. You mentioned adding a line to rc.sysinit.author to turn off the firewall, what line is this (or link to thread discussing this)?

Thank you for your help, sorry again for being a newb but reading through these threads has only caused more questions and confusion.

PlainBill, thanks for setting me straight. Still trying to wrap my head around all of this, its overwhelming.
    Only at first. By the time you've hacked a half dozen it's a piece of cake.
    Pretty obvious I don't need an an InstantCake image if I have a working DVR40, that makes sense. I've used mfstools in the past to upgrade/make a CD backup of my 540040, seems like MFSLive is basically the same thing, no problem there.
    Mfstools had a number of bugs which weren't significant until we started using larger drives. The mfslive cd contains an updated version of mfstools on a bootable cd that has a number of additional features - including usb support.
    As far as the killhdinitrd kernel, Cheer says: "You'll need to break the chain of trust that prevents changes to the Tivo's system by dd'ing over a compatible kernel that has been killhdinitrd'd". From your last post I take it I cannot apply killhdinitrd to the existing kernel? Once I obtain one, do I just copy it over the existing kernel? If so, what is its path? Would I use MFSLive again to boot into linux to tweak the harddrive after imaging it with the DVR40 image, or am I editing the backed-up image file and then re-imaging it to the drive I want to use?
    I recommend making an image of the original drive, then making a copy of the original drive direct to the new drive. Next put the original drive in a safe place and test the new drive. If it works, I'd force a call and see if it upgrades to the latest software. If not, don't sweat it UNLESS it is 3.1.1x. 3.1.1x cannot 'see' all of the new large drive; 6.2x and 6.3e can.

Killhdinitrd only works with a few kernels HOWEVER all 3.1.5 and 6.2 kernels are identical EXCEPT for the initrd. In this group, only the 3.1.5 kernel was exploitable. the 7.2.2k1-oth??? kernel is also exploitable, and is preferred for 6.3e. Transferring it is easy - dd it from the temporary drive (more on that later) to the boot partition on the new drive.

How do I get the files to the tivo harddrive so that I can use AlphaWolf's all-in-one utilities and apply NutKase's 67superpatch? Do I need to have them on another drive connected to the same computer, and then mount that drive in linux? I've had problems mounting NTFS partitions in linux before, would I need a FAT32? I have an old version of Knoppix already burned (ver 3.81 from 04/05), I could do all of this work on the drive with that, correct? Seems like the MFSLive bootdisk should also work tho. [smbclient will work to transfer files from an NTFS drive running winxp, so I suppose if connected to the same network as the linux boot CD comp with the tivo drive connected this would be possible. Is that the common practice, or am I being retarded again?]
    One reason I suggest the mfslive cd is it has usb support - for things like thumb drives. A 1 Gig drive will hold an image of the original drive and all of the files you will need, including AlphaWolf's binaries. I have a 'hacking' computer that has a small (10 Gig) hard drive running Windows 98. Or you can burn the binaries and kernel to a cd.

Once these patches are applied, does this mean my drive has hacks enabled, or do I then need to apply whatever hacks I want? My primary goal right now is just to record shows unscrambled, and enable the usb ports so that I can ftp them to a computer. You mentioned adding a line to rc.sysinit.author to turn off the firewall, what line is this (or link to thread discussing this)?
    There are three steps to getting the new drive working - install a killhdinitrd kernel (and test it), copy over and install the Series 2 binaries, and create a rc.sysinit.author file. At that point everything else can be done remotely with telnet and ftp. The majority of the hacks to disable encryption, etc are included in superpatch67.
    Thank you for your help, sorry again for being a newb but reading through these threads has only caused more questions and confusion.
    Of course, you're looking at a series of tiny snippets. Once everything ties back together again into a cohesive picture it becomes obvious.

As a final gift, here is my current rc.sysinit.author.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    date>>/var/hack/log/hackinit.log

#Enviroment Variables
    export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/tivotools:/tvbin:.
    export TIVO_ROOT=
    export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    export IGNOREEOF=1000
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/lib/modules
    export TERM=xterm
    export PS1='\h:\w$ '

#Setup HOSTNAME
    hostname HDVR2

#Start BASH
    /bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

#Open the firewall
    iptables -F

#Block access to TiVo
    route add -net 204.176.49.0 gw 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

#Load telnet daemon and ftp dameon
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    tivoftpd
    cd /
    PlainBill

EDIT: Well I see PlainBill had time to respond while I was typing all this.
    My two cents, anyway

The biggest problem n00bs have, and I remember being one of them, is learning and knowing enough about how the Tivo system boots up so that you then have some basic idea of what needs to be done and why. The next step is usually coming up with enough courage (and luck) to monkey with the Tivo hard drive and [successfully] change the software around.

You've done this once before so you're already in good shape.

In a nutshell, the Tivo hardware PROM chip code loads, finds the harddrive, checks the bootpage settings to determine which partition to bootup from, and checks for a valid TiVo(tm) boot kernel (with a valid Tivo digital signature, etc). When the PROM is satisfied that the boot kernel is Genuine(tm), it loads the kernel into memory and the kernel initrd process checks the root filesystem for Genuine TiVo(tm) system files. Any file which doesn't match is either immediately replaced or simply deleted.

So, to "hack" your Tivo unit you need a new boot kernel which (1) passes the PROM check, and (2) won't erase the ssytem files you need to change. Newer Tivo units require a PROM chip replacement (i.e. hardware soldering and so forth) which bypasses the kernel check. But your DVR40 and other "original Series-2 models" can use a special killhdinitrd kernel to get the same result.

As far as the killhdinitrd kernel, Cheer says: "You'll need to break the chain of trust that prevents changes to the Tivo's system by dd'ing over a compatible kernel that has been killhdinitrd'd". From your last post I take it I cannot apply killhdinitrd to the existing kernel? Once I obtain one, do I just copy it over the existing kernel?
    There's an exploitable vulnerablity in certain kernels, which killhdinitrd uses to pass the PROM code kernel verifications. but only in those specific kernels. Thet's why PlainBill mentioned the DVRupgrade Tool-CD (for $5) which includes those specific kernels. I'd recommend going with the v7.2 killhdinitrd'ed kernel. I believe there was also a link to it available, here in the Files section.

You just use the standard linux dd tool to overwrite the old kernel with your new killhdinitrd tool. Check your bootpage, but the active boot kernel is either /dev/hda3 or /dev/hda6.

How do I get the files to the tivo harddrive so that I can use AlphaWolf's all-in-one utilities and apply NutKase's 67superpatch?
    Oh c'mon! You already know you have to pull out the Tivo's hard drive.
    SuperPatch runs from the Tivo prompt itself, so it won't work until you get the "hacked" Tivo back together and running.

Do I need to have them on another drive connected to the same computer, and then mount that drive in linux? I've had problems mounting NTFS partitions in linux before, would I need a FAT32?
    I'm kinda partial to those large-capacity USB thumbdrive thingies. They're almost always FAT32 formatted, big enough to put a backup Tivo image file onto, and you can also drop the AlphaWolf utilities and other files onto it before starting to "hack" the Tivo harddrive. I just picked up a 4GB USB thumbdrive for $29.

But, you'll probably need to use the MFSLive boot CD. I don't expect the old Knoppix disc or others to support USB devices.

Once these patches are applied, does this mean my drive has hacks enabled, or do I then need to apply whatever hacks I want?
    "Hacked" is kind of a subjective definition. I would guess most of us would define "hacked" as the point where your Tivo boots with custom (or otherwise edited) files without wiping out the changes. Possibly also include remote connectivity, either via serial console cable or telnet access. This should be your main goal.

Once you can log into the Tivo, you can make all sorts of changes at your own leisure. Patches to disable CSO scrambling and all that are in other threads.

You mentioned adding a line to rc.sysinit.author to turn off the firewall, what line is this (or link to thread discussing this)?
    You need to flush out the iptables filters like so:
    iptables -F
    Last edited by Narf54321; 09-12-2007 at 05:13 PM.

First off, thank you both for all the help so far. This is starting to come together.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    you'll probably need to use the MFSLive boot CD. I don't expect the old Knoppix disc or others to support USB devices.
    Yeah, alright. So I got MFSLive and booted into linux. Stuck in my 2GB memory stick and it detected it no sweat. Mounting it was no problem, and I can access files from it now. I never was able to get that to work in Debian, but I was running an old ver. of the linux kernel (2.2 i think) so that's probably why. MFSLive is quite nice

So the reason I will need to get a kernel elsewhere, instead of using the one in the DVR40, is because it is probably not 7.2, or an otherwise exploitable kernel? Is it correct that the latest s/w version for the series2 Dtivo is 6.3e, and the 7.2x kernel works with that version? How do I determine what kernel my DVR40 has in it now, and is there any way to check the s/w version besides checking on the actual tivo under "system information?" Are slices for changing the software version, or the kernel version?

So I get a 7.2 kernel and I apply killhdinitrd. Overwrite the old kernel on my new tivo drive with the patched kernel on my usb stick with the linux dd command. Bill then says to:
    Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    copy over and install the Series 2 binaries, and create a rc.sysinit.author file
    What are you referring to, "Series 2 binaries?" Where do I get those? What path do I put rc.sysinit.author in, I assume somewhere in /etc/rc?

At this point if I boot up the Tivo, I can log into it and then run scripts and patches from a computer on the same network running MFSLive and my mounted usb? How? I assume running these things make permanent changes, meaning I don't have to re-run them every time I reboot the Tivo, correct? I have a Netgear usb wireless stick that I use with my series2 tivo, but I transfer files from it with a Netgear FA120 wired b/c its faster. Will either/both of these work with the DirecTivo? If I just hook it up, it will be on the network? I assume, since there is no menu option on the dtivo to set a static IP like there is on a SA series2, that I will have to turn on my DHCP server once again?

A little off topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    Newer Tivo units require a PROM chip replacement (i.e. hardware soldering and so forth) which bypasses the kernel check.
    I have a SA Tivo 540040, I believe this is being referred to as a Series 2.5 here and requires the PROM swap. Assuming I do this, what does this get me? I'm getting sick of paying $13/mn for service and wont need it once I get DirecTivo running, so what can I use this old Tivo for in that case, assuming I replace the PROM?

Finally, I feel embarrassed asking this, but prior to imaging the new drive using MFSLive, I will need to format it as FAT32, right? Just hook it up to a windows comp and give it a format?

Thank you all, your help is very much appreciated.

EDIT: I found this ver7.2 kernel: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244219
    Will this work, or is this for SA series2, or does that not matter?
    Last edited by zardano; 09-12-2007 at 07:37 PM.

So the reason I will need to get a kernel elsewhere, instead of using the one in the DVR40, is because it is probably not 7.2, or an otherwise exploitable kernel? Is it correct that the latest s/w version for the series2 Dtivo is 6.3e, and the 7.2x kernel works with that version?
    Yes, the 7.2 will work with the 6.x DTivo system software. Either the 3.1.5 or the 7.2 kernel will work, but IIRC 7.2 has more reliable DHCP for networking. The naming is a bit of a misnomer. Current kernels are linux actually 2.4.20, but we refer to them by the system software revision they originally came with.

How do I determine what kernel my DVR40 has in it now, and is there any way to check the s/w version besides checking on the actual tivo under "system information?" Are slices for changing the software version, or the kernel version?
    You pretty much have to check the running Tivo system software version wile the Tivo is on, either from the menus or from the command line.

What are you referring to, "Series 2 binaries?" Where do I get those? What path do I put rc.sysinit.author in, I assume somewhere in /etc/rc?
    I'm sure PlainBill is referring to AlphaWolf's All-in-One Utilities (a.k.a. "tivotools"), and anything else you'll need to install directly to the hard drive. Be wary of the 7Zip format he's now using for archival -- you probably want to unpack it onto your thumbdrive before booting MFSLive. For network access, you're also going to need Jamie's backport network drivers.

You put rc.sysinit.author in the same place as always, right next to the rc.sysinit file.

At this point if I boot up the Tivo, I can log into it and then run scripts and patches from a computer on the same network running MFSLive and my mounted usb? How? I assume running these things make permanent changes, meaning I don't have to re-run them every time I reboot the Tivo, correct?
    Yes of course. Copy the backport network modules to the Tivo drive, and get tnlited entered into your rc.sysinit.author file as shown by PlainBill's post above. You really need to re-check cheer's roadmap and the forum stickies.

I have a Netgear usb wireless stick that I use with my series2 tivo, but I transfer files from it with a Netgear FA120 wired b/c its faster. Will either/both of these work with the DirecTivo?
    The FA120 is a great USB-Ethernet dongle. Use that one until you're confident it is all working the way you want. Don't forget to install the backport drivers. The wireless stuff is more tricky, with added complexity because the vendors like to change the underlaying hardware while keeping the same model number.

I have a SA Tivo 540040, I believe this is being referred to as a Series 2.5 here and requires the PROM swap.
    Yes

Assuming I do this, what does this get me? I'm getting sick of paying $13/mn for service and wont need it once I get DirecTivo running, so what can I use this old Tivo for in that case, assuming I replace the PROM?
    Probably not worth it, to spend the money/time on a PROM socket and then cancel your sub. Standalones still require a daily call to the Tivo mothership and without a subscription it is pretty much a paperweight.

Finally, I feel embarrassed asking this, but prior to imaging the new drive using MFSLive, I will need to format it as FAT32, right? Just hook it up to a windows comp and give it a format?
    Not sure where you got that from, but not necessary. mfstools, mfsrestore will set the necessary partitions and format as necessary.

EDIT: I found this ver7.2 kernel: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244219
    Will this work, or is this for SA series2, or does that not matter?
    That's not the one, that's for PROM modded units. You want the one drez linked to here (look where he writes BONUS).
    Last edited by Narf54321; 09-12-2007 at 09:18 PM.