Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TTG and MRV announced for S3 Tivos in November

Last edited by jkozee; 10-23-2007 at 04:07 PM.

It would be interesting to see transfer speeds for HD content from TivoHD<->TivoHD for:

1) Integrated NIC with stock drivers
    2) Integrated NIC with backport drivers
    3) Gigabit USB NIC with backport drivers
    4) Gigabit Jumbo Frames USB NIC with backport drivers

Hopefully some combination would allow for faster-than-realtime transfers. I haven't got the hardware to test these scenarios yet, but when I do I'll post the results. If anyone else has the time and hardware to run these tests then please post the results.

Some of those guys are claiming some pretty crazy numbers, one fella is saying around 20Mbps or so.

My own experience with the S3 has thus far never shown more than 4.5mbps with the stock drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    Some of those guys are claiming some pretty crazy numbers, one fella is saying around 20Mbps or so.

My own experience with the S3 has thus far never shown more than 4.5mbps with the stock drivers.
    Bits verses bytes? That's the usual confusion with network performance comparisons. mbps normally means "millions of bits per second" in the networking/telecom world. (ref: [link]) Are you really only seeing 4.5mbps? I haven't timed MRV yet, but with mfs_ftp, I get > 80mbps, with the usual tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I haven't timed MRV yet, but with mfs_ftp, I get > 80mbps, with the usual tricks.
    Usual tricks as in gigabit/jumbo frames/backport/custom kernel?

Those numbers look great. That's 33.5 GB/hour and 3.7 times what we need assuming 9 GB/hour for HD. Let's hope MRV doesn't doesn't eat up all that overhead.

I know you have better things to do, but if you run any performance tests I'm sure there are many people interested in numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by jkozee View Post
    Usual tricks as in gigabit/jumbo frames/backport/custom kernel?
    Yes. Gigabit; jumbo frames;custom kernel.

Those numbers look great. That's 33.5 GB/hour and 3.7 times what we need assuming 9 GB/hour for HD. Let's hope MRV doesn't doesn't eat up all that overhead.
    We'll see. TTG has always been a dog, but MRV and "go back" haven't been too bad.

I know you have better things to do, but if you run any performance tests I'm sure there are many people interested in numbers.
    Will do, as time permits. I have an S3 and a TiVoHD. The TiVoHD doesn't have all the hacks yet, but I'm working on it.

Here are some raw netperf numbers:

TiVoHD, 100mbps, custom kernel, bcmemac driver (built in NIC)
    Code:
    bash-2.02# netperf -H 192.168.2.100 -- -S 65536 -s 65536
    TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.2.100
    Recv   Send    Send
    Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed
    Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput
    bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/sec

131072 131070 131070    10.03      35.62
    Series3, 1000mbps, jumbo frames. custom kernel, agigausb
    Code:
    bash-2.02# netperf -H 192.168.1.100 -- -S 65536 -s 65536
    TCP STREAM TEST to 192.168.1.100
    Recv   Send    Send
    Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed
    Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput
    bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/sec

131072 131070 131070    10.00     105.49
    Last edited by Jamie; 10-23-2007 at 07:16 PM.

TivoDecode Manager working on Tivo s3

TivoDecode Manager is working well so far on the s3.

EDITED TO ADD: Mpeg2 only, not mpeg4.
    Last edited by Roger Dylan; 10-24-2007 at 07:28 AM.

For what it is worth, S2 <-> S3 MRV transfers appear to use TTG/TTCB protocol. Look at the TransferStatus messages in tvlog, for example. The upshot is that they aren't particularly fast: 10-15Mbps, in my setup. S2<->S2 transfers are faster: I saw ~ 25mbps last night. I haven't had a chance to try S3<->THD yet.

From what I can tell, TTG/TTCB always convert the recordings to mpeg2 ps before transmitting out the wire. This means an extra conversion step for s3 boxes (which use mpeg2 ts to store recordings natively). I assume s3<->s3 transfers stay "native". Anyone know how to get s3<->PC transfers to use native mode as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    From what I can tell, TTG/TTCB always convert the recordings to mpeg2 ps before transmitting out the wire. This means an extra conversion step for s3 boxes (which use mpeg2 ts to store recordings natively). I assume s3<->s3 transfers stay "native". Anyone know how to get s3<->PC transfers to use native mode as well?
    I believe s2<->s2 is native. I haven't done s3<->s3 yet. We need a full superpatch port for that

I believe s2<->s2 is native. I haven't done s3<->s3 yet. We need a full superpatch port for that
    I thought s3<->s3 MRV was working fine, which is what I meant by s3<->s3. tivopony's post about native vs non-native performance implied that s3<->s3 would be native (which probably means mpeg2 ts). I don't have 2 activated s3s to find out. It would be nice if s3<->PC could be made native as well (should improve performance).

Here's hoping tivo updates the SDKs to reflect current reality.

Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    I thought s3<->s3 MRV was working fine, which is what I meant by s3<->s3.
    Doesn't work for me with the various patches we like to use around here, e.g. to prevent encryption. It is an advertised feature on an unhacked S3/THD.

I don't think tivo->PC will ever be native, since the encryption is completely different on the PC side. I suppose you could write a PC side program that emulated an S3 MRV client to receive native format, but it wouldn't be much use from an unhacked tivo, since they would be encrypted. On a hacked tivo, you can't get much more native than mfs_uberexport-to-vserver, or mfs_ftp.
    Last edited by Jamie; 10-24-2007 at 05:29 PM.

1000 Mbps?

Yes. Gigabit
    Um, how are you doing Gigabit? Is there a Gig-e hardware hack out for the S3?
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Mrv / Ttg

I don't think tivo->PC will ever be native, since the encryption is completely different on the PC side. I suppose you could write a PC side program that emulated an S3 MRV client to receive native format, but it wouldn't be much use from an unhacked tivo, since they would be encrypted.
    Actually, that woud be great for my purposes. I don't need to be able to watch the video from a PC. The only thing I need TTG for is to offload content onto the server to free up space on the TiVos without losing the recordings. I'll be upgrading my Linux sever (running Galleon) to a 4TB RAID array shortly.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    Um, how are you doing Gigabit? Is there a Gig-e hardware hack out for the S3?
    The backport drivers support the S3 platform. The AGIGAUSB dongles are available here, though they aren't as cheap as they once were.