Thread: MFSTools - Expanding an Expanded Drive

MFSTools - Expanding an Expanded Drive

I'm finally getting around to upgrading my old Tivo (DVR40), which was previously hacked several years ago at 3.1. I have many recordings on it that I want to preserve. I hadn't installed superpatch, so they are still encrypted. My intent was to copy the 120Mb drive to a new 320Gb drive, upgrade to 6.2 then apply hacks. Then I could Monte so I could use S2_Unscramble to Unscramble all the existing recordings and then go back to a standard hack without the Monte.

I got stuck early on in this endevor. When I tried to copy the 120Gb drive to the new 320Gb drive with mfstools, it failed and said that there wasn't enough room on the destination. I used the same command that I used when I upgraded my latest two Tivos, which is probably the problem, as they were both previously unexpanded. The command I used was

mfstools backup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfstool restore -s 127 - zxpi - /dev/hdb

It reported that the source drive was 40 Hours, expanded to 126 hours, and that there wasn't room on the destination.

I tried the same command copying from my original 40Gb drive from this Tivo, and it worked fine, so it isn't the new 320Gb drive. MFSTools "info" shows the drive can be expanded 3 more times.

I suspect that I need to use a different command, but can't find any reference to expanding an already expanded drive. Any advice would be appriated.

Thanks,
    Bob

Go over to mfslive.org and ask on the forums there. There used to be an mfslive beta CD that could do what you want. Now you might have to use WinMFS.

When you did this, did you use a boot CD that uses the lba48 kernel, i.e., it can address drives larger than 137 GB.

For example, I believe this CD does what you want, http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores...del&ModelID=30
    I use the earlier 4.01 version with 200 GB drives.

Alternatively, the boot cd on mfslive.org seems like it would work too, http://mfslive.org/download.htm
    Last edited by w2kr; 09-14-2007 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by w2kr View Post
    When you did this, did you use a boot CD that uses the lba48 kernel, i.e., it can address drives larger than 137 GB.

For example, I believe this CD does what you want, http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores...del&ModelID=30
    I use the earlier 4.01 version with 200 GB drives.

Alternatively, the boot cd on mfslive.org seems like it would work too, http://mfslive.org/download.htm
    I don't think it is an lba48 issue. It is the "too many partitions" issue. The beta mfslive or winmfs used to have a fix -- new zones go into the existing media partitions rather than trying to add new partitions. That's why I directed the OP over there. I had an outline of how to do it manually over at the alt.org forums, but it looks like it is down right now.
    Last edited by Jamie; 09-14-2007 at 10:16 AM.

Jamie,
    Is this the outline you were referencing. I found it in the google cache.

Re: MFS partition move/resize tool Tue, 29 March 2005 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
    Jamie is currently offline Jamie

I was interested in doing an MFS zone resize tool a while back, but I ended up doing a quick and dirty one-off to expand my disk instead, as described below. wc_b suggested the approach.

The key insight is the observation that MFS zones need not be in a one-to-one correspondence with partitions. You can coalesce adjacent partitions together, and as long as they were adjacent in the MFS superblock devlist, and you delete the additional devices there, MFS doesn't care.

To expand a disk with a full partition table:

* Copy the disk to the new larger disk with an mfsbackup|mfsrestore pipeline. Do not 'optimize' the partition layout in the restore. You want partitions 13-15 to be contiguous on disk.
    * Run pdisk on the new disk and verify that partitions 13-15 are contiguous. Delete partitions 13-15 and replace them with a single partition 13 that covers the space of the previous 13-15.
    * Edit the devlist in the MFS superblock to list only partitions 10-13, dropping 14 and 15. You just need to put a zero byte after "/dev/hda13" in the devlist string. The devlist is at byte offset 36 in the first MFS partition (10).
    * MFS will reject the patched superblock unless you update the CRC. mfs_info -f in recent mfs_* releases can do that.

The resulting disk should be acceptable to the tivo and to mfsadd. I've never tried to back mine up, so I'm not sure about mfsbackup. If you want to play it safe, run mfscheck/fsfix on it before and after running mfsadd, and save the original disk.

YMMV. If this method corrupts your disk, it's not my fault.

Jamie,
    Yes, that's it. It's probably easier to use the MFSLive beta that Jamie directed you to; there was a beta fix for that issue.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Thanks for the suggestions. I registered at MFSLive and downloaded WinMFS, but not sure I want to mess with this on Windows. I inquired about the MFSLive Beta. If I can't get that, I will probably try what was suggested to recreate 13-15 as 13 and see how far I get. Nothing ventured, Nothing gained. Besides, I will still have my original drive with recordings, and can always try WinMFS if I have to.

Thanks,
    Bob

Jamie,
    Not sure if that's the thread I made or not, but Jamie also gave me a similar outline when I was doing the same process. It worked great. Takes some time, but definitely worth it.