Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DirecTV HDDVR No Cost Swap

DirecTV HDDVR No Cost Swap

Well, after confirmation from DirecTV's web site of the new HD channel lineup, I finally bit the bullet and called them ready to engage in negotiations to swap my 4 HR10-250 Tivo's and one H10 to the newer HR20-700 and H20. As soon as I got to a CSR, he told me that my five units needed updating and asked me if I would like to swap them, free of charge. So now a installer is on his way over with 4 new HR20-700, 1 new H20, a slimline dish and a new multiswitch at no cost to me. I am bummed about losing the TiVo interface, but to get all the new HD channels on new equipment at no additional cost (I did have to commit to a new 2-year contract), I took the offer, especially since I have no way of knowing when mpeg2 is going to be shut down. I guess I would be considered A list customer due to my long standing relationship with them. I wonder if DirecTV has an unadvertised policy for free swaps that is only a phone call away for many of their customers.

Yeah, just went through an upgrade with DirecTV. Told them I wanted to replace my HR10-250 with a HR20-700 for the new HD channels and they told me, "no problem". Asked if they wanted me to return the HR10-250 and was told not to even disconnect it and if I do they don't want it back. So I kept it (for hacking purposes) and the new receiver and dish were installed about a week ago at absolutely no cost to me. Sweet deal.......
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - a cigar in one hand - a Martini in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a ride!

1 HDVR2, 500 Gb, hacked, 6.3e
    1 R10 Prom Mod 500 Gb 6.3e
    1 HR20-100 Stock
    1 HR21-100 Stock

This may have been answered elsewhere, was an HDMI cable included with the HR20 or do you have to provide that yourself?

rpalermo, if they offer to let you keep the hr10-250's, I'd be interested in buying at least one. PM me if that happens.

Yes, the HR20 includes an HDMI cable.
    Steve

25 not that free

I also wanted to upgrade my HR10-250 for a new system and they told me it will be free of charge, so I scheduled installation. When I looked later at my account, thay charged me over $300. It took me a lot of effort and discussions to finally got my money back. So do not give up

It's a lot harder to get big discounts on the HR20 now than it was a few months ago. I got mine in July and paid $199, but probably could have gone lower if I had pushed.
    Steve

So the come and do the swap for free and I keep my old HD Tivo? They told me they want it back. I told them no, I have shows recorded that I haven't watched yet. So I'll try again, maybe a different CSR will be nicer.

Also, what can I do with the old HD Tivo? Is there a way to convert to a standalone Tivo using the OTA tuners? That would be fantastic. How would you get the guide data for the local OTA channels?

Keep the HR10 running and use the OTA tuners, plus a backup for other channels. Just $4.99 a month. You cannot "convert to a standalone TiVo".
    Steve

I'm trying to get DTV to swap out my 5 DVR's for HD DVR's but no luck so far. They want me to payy $299 each. I told the rep you've got to be kidding. That'd be $1200. I then told them that Dish would do it for free but that didn't help.
    C ranky...

Phillips DSR704 250 gig unhacked
    DirectTV R10 400 gig unhacked
    RCA DVR40 unhacked running DSR704 software
    RCA DVR40 unhacked
    DirectTV R-15 unhacked

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    I'm trying to get DTV to swap out my 5 DVR's for HD DVR's but no luck so far. They want me to payy $299 each. I told the rep you've got to be kidding. That'd be $1200. I then told them that Dish would do it for free but that didn't help.
    are you swapping hr10s or sd units? the best deals seem to be for hr10 owners.

ronny

Regular DVR units. I was hoping they'd help out a little bit. As everyone knows, once you've gone DVR there's no turning back.
    C ranky...

Phillips DSR704 250 gig unhacked
    DirectTV R10 400 gig unhacked
    RCA DVR40 unhacked running DSR704 software
    RCA DVR40 unhacked
    DirectTV R-15 unhacked

Seems like DTV is trying to get as many as the HR10's out of the system as possible. I swapped out my HR10 for a HR20 a few months ago for free but never disconnected the HR10. Haven't been charged for the HR20 yet so in a few months I'll try to swap it out again.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - a cigar in one hand - a Martini in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a ride!

1 HDVR2, 500 Gb, hacked, 6.3e
    1 R10 Prom Mod 500 Gb 6.3e
    1 HR20-100 Stock
    1 HR21-100 Stock

I bought an HR20-700S on Ebay for cheap and just activated it this last weekend. I have two other HR10-250s and two old SD DTivos so I like Tivo.
    This new unit is pure crap. It is slower than anything I have seen before. Changing channels is a chore and the guide is slow too.
    I have beefed up my OTA reception so I may finally be leaving DTV after 10 years if there is not something better (faster response) than this POS.
    I don't know if Dish or Cable is any better but this POS is slower than the HR10s and I thought those were just barely fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaster5150 View Post
    I bought an HR20-700S on Ebay for cheap and just activated it this last weekend. I have two other HR10-250s and two old SD DTivos so I like Tivo.
    This new unit is pure crap. It is slower than anything I have seen before. Changing channels is a chore and the guide is slow too.
    I have beefed up my OTA reception so I may finally be leaving DTV after 10 years if there is not something better (faster response) than this POS.
    I don't know if Dish or Cable is any better but this POS is slower than the HR10s and I thought those were just barely fast enough.
    Hey, since you got it cheap, I'll take it off your hands. Since it's such a POS, (your words), how about $50 plus shipping?

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.