Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DirecTV HDDVR No Cost Swap

I'll give you $60.00 plus shipping. I think it's really a pretty good unit.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - a cigar in one hand - a Martini in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a ride!

1 HDVR2, 500 Gb, hacked, 6.3e
    1 R10 Prom Mod 500 Gb 6.3e
    1 HR20-100 Stock
    1 HR21-100 Stock

I did not get it for a steal but less than most.

Seriously, you guys really like the response time of this thing? This thing is slower than the HR10-250 unless mine is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaster5150 View Post

Seriously, you guys really like the response time of this thing? This thing is slower than the HR10-250 unless mine is unique.
    i've got a hr20-100, and it's definitely faster than my hr10. and i've never had any complaints out of my hr10. so far, the only negative with the hr20 is some of it's ui that i just don't agree with. the stupid picture thing that stays up in the corner all the time during menus; i know a lot of people love that, but i hate it. too easy for spoilers.

ronny

Ok name your price? How much you want for it.

Basement Prom/Hacked R10
    Livingroom Prom/Hacked R10
    Bedroom Prom/Hacked R10
    DUB-E100 Network adapters for all

Quote Originally Posted by dmaster5150 View Post

Seriously? My HR20-700 is slightly faster than my HDVR2 and other similar receivers running 6.2 (and significantly faster than the same receivers running 3.1.1e).

Like ronnythunder, there are some parts of the UI I don't like (although the thumbnail in the upper corner is one I do like). On the balance, it's been a very reliable DVR.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by slawolom View Post
    I also wanted to upgrade my HR10-250 for a new system and they told me it will be free of charge, so I scheduled installation. When I looked later at my account, thay charged me over $300. It took me a lot of effort and discussions to finally got my money back. So do not give up
    You too? That's what they did to me, told me it was "Free" and then charged me for it then refused to refund me.

Total scam. After the holiday I'm going to dispute the charge with my Credit Card company.
    7 RCA DVR80's Hacked (All with 250GB each)
    2 HR10-250's Hacked (Both with 400GB)
    2 HR20-100's Stock

Just got the HR21-700

I just had the HR21-700 DVR installed by Directv for free. Total out of pocket for me to upgrade all my DirecTV standard equipment to HD was $19.80, not counting the cost of the HD TV. This is a really good DVR/DirectTV receiver. The HD channels are awesome. I watched the Colts/Tenn game last night and didn't see any blurring. I watched the Leafs and NY play the other night and I was amazed at how easy it was to follow the puck. Really had trouble with that with standard tv.

The Guide is definitely different than Tivo's format. I am still trying to figure out how to setup a Favorites channel list. The DVR functions pretty much the same way with some minor differences. Program search is almost identical to Tivo. One function that I will dearly miss is the two tuner record buffer I had with my DirecTivo DVR. I can no longer pause a program on one channel and watch another channel.

The remote is a definite upgrade on the DirecTivo remote. It is very ergonomically designed. All the important buttons are easily reached with the index finger, (or thumb for you knuckle draggers, lol ) as you hold the remote.

Overall, I am very satisfied so far. I have not experienced any of the lock ups that reportedly occured with the HR20-700 or earlier models.
    Last edited by Zrullac; 12-31-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Add email notification on replies

Did you upgrade from from SD DVR or HD DVR to the newer HR21?

If you got the free upgrade from an SD DVR how did you do it?
    C ranky...

Phillips DSR704 250 gig unhacked
    DirectTV R10 400 gig unhacked
    RCA DVR40 unhacked running DSR704 software
    RCA DVR40 unhacked
    DirectTV R-15 unhacked

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    Did you upgrade from from SD DVR or HD DVR to the newer HR21?

If you got the free upgrade from an SD DVR how did you do it?
    I upgraded from a SD DirecTivo DVR and a SD receiver. I bypassed the customer service reps and asked to speak to the customer retention department. I basically told them that I wanted my equipment changed out for free since I had been a customer since 1993. They initially told me I would have to pay $299. I mentioned that Directv was offering new customers exactly what I wanted for free and if they didn't give me the same deal, I would consider going to cable. This horse trading took about 30 minutes but I finally prevailed.

Great, thanks, I'll give that a try. I wouldn't mind paying for a couple of DVR's if they'll replace the other three.
    C ranky...

Phillips DSR704 250 gig unhacked
    DirectTV R10 400 gig unhacked
    RCA DVR40 unhacked running DSR704 software
    RCA DVR40 unhacked
    DirectTV R-15 unhacked

I had an old Samsung HD receiver (non-DVR), and when I moved last month, D* offered to swap it out for a H20 for free, or an HR20/21 for $99. I took them up on it (and kept my HR10 active).

So it looks like they're automatically offering deals to swap out old hi-def equipment.
    HR10-250, 6.3e, HMO/HME, etc
    HR21
    DVR80, 6.2, hacked, MRV, etc, networked via a hacked WST54GS
    DVR39, upgraded to 250 hours - 3.1.1b 4.0.1b 3.1.1e 6.2, now MRV-only due to a bad sat2 decoder
    2x Hacked XBox for XBMC
    Running Linux since '93.

Just an FYI and a bump, I got a no-charge upgrade installed last week. I called the DTV number and kept repeating that we'd been promised a no-cost swap to the MPEG4 units back when they were announced, and the rep at customer support finally agreed.

Of course, I say that before I actually have the bill with the credit in my hands, but...

I kept my thoroughly-hacked HR10-250, it's in the same rack with the HR21-700, and still working fine. I'll hang on to it as long as the MPEG2 HD channels remain active.

Conversion dept

Got a call from the DirecTV conversion dept today, after much discussion they are sending me a HR20-xxx to replace my HR10-250 and an installer later in the month to replace the 3LNB dish with a 5LNB dish. Out of pocket, $19.95 shipping and handling fee.

Since I do not have HD locals from DTV I insisted on a HR20 not HR21 they wanted to send and they agreed and also said they were applying for a waiver in my name from the local network channels so they can give me NY & LA HD locals. I doubt the waiver will happen, but will take anything they want to give.

No need to return the HR10-250.

Based on our conversation I will be owning this replacement just as I owned the HR10-250 and will not see a lease charge for it on my monthly bill. I do pay them for service insurance.

Trust me, you will NOT own the HR20 and you WILL be paying a monthly lease fee albeit small. DirecT* owns the receiver.....not you regardless of what some CSR told you.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - a cigar in one hand - a Martini in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a ride!

1 HDVR2, 500 Gb, hacked, 6.3e
    1 R10 Prom Mod 500 Gb 6.3e
    1 HR20-100 Stock
    1 HR21-100 Stock

..I'll stick with my upgraded Philips DSR704..

I wouldn't mind finding 3 more of these and put them in my server rack and network all 4 together and view them through my Xboxes and workstations.

..unless DTV allows this with their HR20/21, I doubt I'll fully upgrade to HDTV.. Unless I upgrade these to HR10-250's..