Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the HR20's network?

Can the HR20's network?

I see they have an RJ-45 network jack. What's it for? Can you link multiple units together via a network & share programming? (Like the HMO feature that was never implemented on the DTivo units.)

I'm reacy to dump Dtv & my 3-R10's to build a PC based PVR, utilizing cable. But if the HR20's can interface, I may rethink my strategy.

Will Dtv upgrade my units if I don't have a HD set?

It does network painlessly - just plug it into a router. No MRV on the HR20 at this time, probably never. The equivalent of HMO is alive and kicking; I'm using TVersity as the server.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

MRV = multi-room -view. That sounds like what I want to accomplish...view content on different receivers/tv's...share content amongst receivers/tv's.

So what's the difference between MRV & HMO?

I currently do not own a HD set, but plan on upgrading soon. Will the tech install HD if I don't have a HD set?
    Last edited by teddy809; 09-25-2007 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teddy809 View Post
    MRV = multi-room -view. That sounds like what I want to accomplish...view content on different receivers/tv's...share content amongst receivers/tv's.

So what's the difference between MRV & HMO?
    One is spelled Aitch Em Oh for Home Media Option; the other is spelled Em Are Vee for Multi Room Viewing. HMO allows you to set up a server to supply pictures and sound recordings; video is to be a future addition.

Quote Originally Posted by teddy809 View Post
    I currently do not own a HD set, but plan on upgrading soon. Will the tech install HD if I don't have a HD set?
    Call 1-800-531-5000 and ask the nice CSR!!! If you don't like the answer, call back and ask another one.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks PlainBill. Guess I'll stick with my plan to build a PC based PVR utilizing SageTV software. I want functionality like MVR & if Dtv's track record is any indication, they'll never offer it.

The did mention MVR on the last call. See this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=liberty

Who knows. They might be all talk...

Quote Originally Posted by too hip View Post
    The did mention MVR on the last call. See this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=liberty

Who knows. They might be all talk...
    That IS good news. OF course, it's unlikely that it would be able to share even SD recordings with DirecTiVos.

PlainBill

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    It does network painlessly - just plug it into a router. No MRV on the HR20 at this time, probably never. The equivalent of HMO is alive and kicking; I'm using TVersity as the server.

PlainBill

I am contemplating to upgrade for a DTIVO S2 to HR20. HMO / MRV is important to me. It appears though, according to your experience, TVersity works well as a HMO but not MVR. Is it SW / HW limitation of HR20?

TIA
    Last edited by TheBigDog; 10-23-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post

PlainBill
    Hi PlainBill,

I looked up TVersity and it looks neat. Have you also used it to Stream .ty shows? Read some mention on their forums that it should be possible.

Smee

According to the information on their site, TVersity will serve audio, picture and video files. HOWEVER, the receiving device must be able to handle them. At present, the HR20 will not handle video files from TVersity; this is a software limitation. According to some discussion I saw, this function is to be included in 'a future software release'. As far as I know it will be strictly a one-way transfer, TVersity > HR20.

PlainBill

I can't get the HR20 to recognize MP3 files served by TVersity either. WMP11 is the only thing that has worked for me so far, and then that has some limitations. Have also tried Twonky with the same results.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    I can't get the HR20 to recognize MP3 files served by TVersity either. WMP11 is the only thing that has worked for me so far, and then that has some limitations. Have also tried Twonky with the same results.
    I am primarily interested in pictures (and video when it becomes available) and had not tried it with mp3 files. It worked fine when I gave it a very limited trial today.

TVersity version 0.9.10.8 running on Win2K with all patches
    Wired ethernet connection
    Presumably the latest software on the HR20
    One mp3 of OTR (Your's Truly, Johnny Dollar).

Note, I got the sound, however the current TV show was displayed on the screen.

PlainBill

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigDog View Post
    I am contemplating to upgrade for a DTIVO S2 to HR20. HMO / MRV is important to me. It appears though, according to your experience, TVersity works well as a HMO but not MVR. Is it SW / HW limitation of HR20?

TIA
    Don't do it if you don't "have" to, at least try to keep the DTiVo in your system while adding the HR20.

I've had my 2 HR20's for about 3 months now and really don't like them. One of them did the "Black screen" recording thing to me and I had to reset the drive to get it working again (lost all my recordings).

Eventually though, if you want all the HD channels you'll have to but I'd suggest holding out for as long as you can. TiVo is by far the better system.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    Don't do it if you don't "have" to, at least try to keep the DTiVo in your system while adding the HR20.

I've had my 2 HR20's for about 3 months now and really don't like them. One of them did the "Black screen" recording thing to me and I had to reset the drive to get it working again (lost all my recordings).

Eventually though, if you want all the HD channels you'll have to but I'd suggest holding out for as long as you can. TiVo is by far the better system.
    On what basis? I've had an HR20-700 for over 9 months without any of the problems you report. I think in that time I've had to reboot the HR20 once and the TV twice. Yes, I miss MRV, but without a second HD system it would be pointless. Frankly, I miss the dual live buffer more, and according to discussion on DBSTalk, that should be added in a few months.

As it is, the HR10 is capable of receiving less than 25% of the HD channels DirecTV carries, and the percentage is getting worse.

PlainBill

I just had my HR20 crap out on me AGAIN... lost several more recordings. What good is having 75% more HD channels when the thing won't let you watch your recordings? From everything I'm reading and my own experience the HR20 is crap.
    Last edited by VaBeachGuy; 11-05-2007 at 04:46 AM.