Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can the HR20's network?

I haven't had such problems with my HR20. It's about as reliable as my HR10 for recordings.
    Steve

I've had DTiVo's for about 4 years and didn't lose a single recording due to hardware issues. I've had HR20's for 2 and a half to 3 months and I've lost at least 10 recordings due to hardware.

Searching the internet reveals that I'm not alone in this either.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    I've had DTiVo's for about 4 years and didn't lose a single recording due to hardware issues. I've had HR20's for 2 and a half to 3 months and I've lost at least 10 recordings due to hardware.

Searching the internet reveals that I'm not alone in this either.
    That would indicate a manufacturing or materials problem with certain builds of systems. If it was a design problem I would expect everyone to have the problem. The software has been updated several times; I've never had the problem, you've had it through several software updates; that would indicate it's NOT a software problem.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    That would indicate a manufacturing or materials problem with certain builds of systems. If it was a design problem I would expect everyone to have the problem. The software has been updated several times; I've never had the problem, you've had it through several software updates; that would indicate it's NOT a software problem.

PlainBill
    It remains to be seen if it was software or hardware, I don't hook up phone lines to my machines unless I have to so I hadn't had any updates. I hooked up the phone line several days ago and let it update. I haven't recorded anything yet so I won't know if that solved the problem for a little while.

From what I've read, the problem was that the HR20 recorded the header of the program that it was scheduled to record but not the actual program itself. So when I would try to play it I'd get the "Do you wish to delete this program?" prompt right away. The HR20 said the program was there but it really wasn't.

I had set it to record 2 football games last Sunday (a 7 hour recording), with that recording there I had 75% left unused. When I deleted it I still had 75% space, so it hadn't actually recorded.

If this software update fixes the problem then I'll revise my "HR20 is crap" statement to "HR20 is ok". I still like TiVo better, but that's likely because I had my TiVo's for 4 years and don't really want to change.

Well, the software update didn't fix the problem. This past Sunday I had 4 football games scheduled to record on my 2 HR20's and poof... did it again.

Try to play and I get "Do you want to delete?"

I called DirecTV and the CSR said "Reboot and while it's rebooting I'll do some special stuff and that will get your recordings to work"

Nope, didn't work. He couldn't believe it didn't work. So he says "Fast forward all the way to the end of the show and then push play again"... ummm.. Hello? If I could fast forward to the end of the show I wouldn't be on the phone with you... I push play and it wants to delete. I say no, don't delete and it puts me back at the menu. Push play again and it wants to delete again...

After going around and around he says "You have to delete everything on the DVR and let it start fresh, then you'll be fine". Of course I now explain that I've already done that with one of the 2 HR20's and it's happened AGAIN now.

He says that he has no other solutions for me... then silence.

He then asks me "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" Well wait a minute... you haven't helped me with THIS problem yet!

So he asks "How would you like for em to help?" Well, I want these HR20's replaced... since you told me a few minutes ago that it's only SOME machines doing this and not ALL of them. Give me some that DON'T do it.

Ok, he says. Just a minute.... Then he says "I'm sorry but we're no longer replacing units for this situation, is there anything else I can help you with?"

I coudn't even get a supervisor on the phone!

When they gave me these units the said it was a "free" upgrade... come to find out they charged me $230 (and refuse to refund my money because the 'notes' on my account don't say they were supposed to be free) and now the stupid HR20's don't work right and they WON'T replace them...

Worhtless....
    7 RCA DVR80's Hacked (All with 250GB each)
    2 HR10-250's Hacked (Both with 400GB)
    2 HR20-100's Stock

Damn, that sucks. It sounds like you got a real loser for a CSR. I'd suggest talking to retention and see if you can get the attention of someone who cares.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

so since the hr20 does not have mrv.. could a person just leave their directtivo unit R10 on and not subscribed and be able to transfer shows from other rooms to view?

Bedroom---------------------
    R10-hacked, MRV

basement-------------------
    R10-hacked, MRV

Living room------------------
    (thinking of getting the hr20)
    HR20 for HD recording in living room. tv input 1

R10 deactivated and no satelite cables connected just networked and video output connected to TV as input 2

Just trying to figure out which HD box to jump to since I now have an HD TV.

Basement Prom/Hacked R10
    Livingroom Prom/Hacked R10
    Bedroom Prom/Hacked R10
    DUB-E100 Network adapters for all

Quote Originally Posted by mstbone67a View Post
    so since the hr20 does not have mrv.. could a person just leave their directtivo unit R10 on and not subscribed and be able to transfer shows from other rooms to view?

Bedroom---------------------
    R10-hacked, MRV

basement-------------------
    R10-hacked, MRV

Living room------------------
    (thinking of getting the hr20)
    HR20 for HD recording in living room. tv input 1

R10 deactivated and no satelite cables connected just networked and video output connected to TV as input 2

Just trying to figure out which HD box to jump to since I now have an HD TV.
    Please don't ask the same question in multiple threads. It tempts us to give different answers in each thread.

The 'mrv slave' does not have to be subscribed.

IMHO, unless you are going to be satisfied with a handful of HD channels, go with the HR20. The HR21 does not have an ATSC tuner.

PlainBill

Yeah sorry bout the the dual posting.. I realized there were two similar threads and one matched more what i was asking and realized.. omg I messed up.

Basement Prom/Hacked R10
    Livingroom Prom/Hacked R10
    Bedroom Prom/Hacked R10
    DUB-E100 Network adapters for all