Thread: Verizon Fios

Verizon Fios

I just got Verizon Fios. My wife isnt crazy about their dvr's functionality and wants to go back to tivo. We had direct tivo.
    Want to buy a previously owned dual tuner Tivo with a lifetime sub attached to it. (the sub follows the tivo service number and not the account, correct?).

With that in mind, which type tivo unit makes the most sense? Then, do I need 1 regular fios stb for each input on the Tivo? How does that work as my only experience was with directivo?

What makes the most sense is a TiVo HD with a cable card or two. No set top box needed.
    Steve

I am using a Tivo HD with the Fios service, 2 cable cards and a 500GB drive, works great. So far the only thing it won't do is video on demand, you need a Verizon box for that.
    Last edited by sync23976; 10-01-2007 at 12:52 AM. Reason: grammer

I've got two S3 Tivos with FIOS and they work great. As indicated above, you won't get any of the interactive services like VOD with the Tivo unless you have a Verizon set-top box. If you don't currently have HDTV then a dual-tuner Tivo will work. However, if you do have HDTV or are thinking about getting it in the near future, then I'd definitely recommend either of the HD models. The Tivo HD can be had for about $250-300 and used S3's arer going for about $400-450 on ebay. There are some units with lifetime subs but you'll pay a lot for them (probably about $400-500 extra).
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

How about issues with the cable cards themselves??

Some people have reported issues with the Scientific Atlanta cablecards but I believe that may have been resolved with the latest update. I have Motorola cards in both my S3's and have never had any problems with them.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Funny you mentioned SA since Mitsubishi TVs' also have issues with SA cards and a firmware update was mentioned (assuming it is for the card, not the TV).