Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm new.. DTV Phillips DSR-708

I'm new.. DTV Phillips DSR-708

I have just got a DSR-708, 80gb, Series 2 -- 6.2-xx firmware.. I'm needing to know the 'steps' to take to get things going so i can copy movies off, or maybe even hook an external dvd drive to and burn off dvds?? (if thats even possible)... I have read lots of different posts and i'm still not understanding what i must do.. I run linux natively so i understand how this works.. I've hooked my TiVo drive to my pc and it tells me that the drive doesnt contain a valid partition table. What must i do to the drive once its hooked to my PC? Any thing i need to copy to it, anything needed to edit? how to access it.. specifics would be nice instead of "read here <link>" plz..

First, you should realize that nobody on this site is going to write you a dissertation just for your benefit.

There are ways to copy the 'chunks' from the Tivo drive, but I'll warr you it isn't necessarily easy.

To see the proprietary MFS partitions (where recordings are stored), you probably want to start with the tivopart tool so you can load the funky partition table. You don't need the whole repartitioning archive, just tivopart.

A question comes to mind about whether you've already "hacked" the tivo and whether shows are still encrypted or not. That makes a difference in what steps you need to take. Check the stickies here in the Newbie and Extraction sections.

And for the sake of completeness...
    read here link plz.

no i've not hacked it yet.. i'm totally new.. just received the DVR and went into the settings and saw what OS was on it.. its stock as far as i know.. i dont care about the movies on it now.. i care about the stuff i'll record down the road. i just want to know what steps must be taken on the unit. I downloaded the sleeper iso and have booted it up and hooked up my drive as it requests but i dont have a FAT32 drive so i'm going to the garage to dig out an old 4gb i have laying around. i'm totally new so i'm just going by what i read. I'll do the full monte from sleeper and i guess replace it back into the tivo and try the next steps i've come across by hooking up my usb/ethernet adapter.

anymore hints, or ideas?

well i did the "sleeper iso" thing and after applying the hacks i put the hdd back in my tivo and a minute after the "powering up" screen it goes black then gets lines in the screen.. i guess i broke it... wonderful i guess now what?

Argh! JT1134 told you in the other thread not to sleeper it! Sleeper is way out of date and his stupid CD eventually got him banned on this site.

The good news is that hard drives (HDD) are easy to replace on a Tivo. The bad news is you just borked your only working install. Now you need to track down AlphaWolf's 6.2 minimal image (or go to DVRupgrade.com and buy Instant Cake) to restore your drive.

Prepare to get your Learn On!

Funny.. I dont have EDonkey to download that *sigh* always something more.

I'd recommend using eMule instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    I'd recommend using eMule instead.
    Well I installed EMule and tagged that file.. and it wont start downloading.. i've never had to use this crap since i dont mess with torents, and p2p... sheesh what a drag.

Interex, I'm feeling sorry for you, so consider this a gift.

Ultimate S2 Dtivo Newbie Guide

Ok interex, I'm feeling awfully generous tonight, so here's your step-by-step instructions to get you up and running. I understand you are trying to hack a Philips DSR-708, a series 2 DirecTivo.
    You screwed up your drive using sleeper, nice going. The sleeper iso is deprecated and even if you got it to work, it uses monte and that's not the best method to hack your tivo in 2007, you need to use killhdinitrd on an exploitable kernel.

Background of what we are doing: The stock tivo kernel runs a process called "initrd" which scans the file system on the root partition and detects if anything is out of place, and wipes it out and reboots if it detects anything abnormal. Thus, you can't install any "hacks" or change the file structure without bypassing the initrd process. Enter killhdinitrd.
    Killhdinitrd is a script that you run on an exploitable kernel that basically kills the initrd process so the files that you put on your tivo survive the boot process. As a bonus, your tivo boots faster since it doesn't spend time checking the integrity of the file system.

Setup Step 1: Since you screwed your drive, and since you probably didn't use mfslive to backup your image, you're going to need to install a fresh image. Download the 62small.mfs image, which is not on emule so you wont have to bother with that. (click "Free" at the bottom, where it says "Select your download"). It will work on most S2 Dtivos, including your DSR-708.

Setup Step 2: Obtain an exploitable kernel, the virgin 7.2.2-oth-K1 kernel will work with software version 6.2. Note that even if you had not killed your drive, you would have needed to get this kernel because only a select few kernels are exploitable and work with killhdinitrd. You should check the md5 to verify that the download is good, MD5: fd71b861a767de9ad4a13dc5f78b6ae1 (check the MD5 with md5sums.)

Setup Step 3: Get all of the support files you'll need.
    3a) Get killhdinitrd-0.9.3.zip from this thread here. Get tivotools.tar.7z here, AlphaWolf's Series 2 binaries, or you wont be able to run any linux commands like ls and vi once you finally telnet in to your tivo. You should un-7zip the file so that it is just a tarball before you boot into mfslive, I do this with winrar, if you don't have a windows box then I dunno, search google for 7zip in linux. Good luck with that.
    3b) Get NutKase's superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.1.zip.
    3c) Depending on your usb network adapter (you have one, right...?) you may need to install Jamie's backport usb drivers. Follow the link to the latest package, the object code file usbobj2.4.27-20070328.tar.bz2. I have 2 adapters for wired ethernet, one is the netgear FA120, the other is the linksys usb200m. The FA120 works with the stock drivers, but only at usb1.0, which makes transfers slow (700k/sec). If you upgrade those drivers to Jamie's backport ones, you'll get faster transfers (~2MB/sec), but with the FA120 you don't have to worry about that until later. If you have the usb200m, you need the backport drivers to get it to work. If you have a different adapter, search the forums to see if its supported. If you need an adapter, many have recommended the $12 airlink usb 2.0 adapter.

Setup Step 4: Now you need to figure out a way to get these files onto the computer you will be working with. I use, and recommend, a usb memory stick, they are cheap and work nicely. The 4GB drive will work fine, if you can find it in the garage, and since you're native to linux, getting the files on that drive and mounting it in linux shouldn't be a problem for you.

Setup Step 5: Go to mfslive.org, download the latest Linux boot CD, which is mfslive-1.3b.iso, and burn the iso to a CD. With your drives attached, boot from this CD.

For ease of discussion I will assume you have connected your Tivo 80GB drive as /dev/hda (master), and your 4GB garage drive as /dev/hdb (slave). If your configuration is different, make changes as necessary, or connect your drives in this fashion to follow the instructions verbatim.

To get an image on the drive:
    Boot into MFSLive, and mount your drive with 62small on it, in the example I am using /dos as the mount point. Assuming your destination drive (the drive you will be running in the tivo) is hda, run this command (refer to mfslive.org for complete backup/restore instructions):
    Code:
    restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi /dos/62small.mfs /dev/hda
    This should work, but a few drives I've tried had bad sectors, and I needed to format them and run e2fsck to mark bad blocks to get it to work. It might not be a bad idea to do that anyway ('mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hda' will format as ext2 and 'e2fsck -f /dev/hda' will force a check, but not in MFSLive, you'll need to boot into regular linux or use a linux boot CD like Knoppix)
    Once the drive has been imaged, you need to boot it in the tivo and run through the guided setup. Also a good idea to get past the initial call. If you don't have a landline phone, but have a VoIP phone, it may or may not work (my comcast voip did, but my cordiaip did not). I had to play around with the dialing prefixes a lot to make the comcast VoIP call out successfully, I used three commas (pauses) to delay the call long enough for a dialtone.
    With no phone access, getting past the initial call can be tricky. Running fakecall.tcl does not work on 6.2-6.3. You can try to find an older ver. 3 or 4 image file, hack it and run fakecall, and then upgrade to 6.2 with slices, but it would probably be easier to just bring the dtivo to a friend's house who has a landline, don't need satellite hooked up for this.

Once you get through guided setup, and ideally are past the initial call nonsense, you should make a backup image of the drive so you wont have to wait through all that again if you screw up from here. Boot into MFSLive and do this:
    Code:
    backup -f 9999 -6so /dos/62small_DSR708_after_guided_setup.mfs /dev/hda
    This image can then be used on other series 2 dtivos, but when you boot up, it will complain about hardware errors, message #51. You have to run 51killer.tcl, located in AlphaWolf's AIO series 2 binaries, to remove this nag.

Getting a bash prompt: (NOTE: Do NOT do the following with a newly imaged 62small.mfs drive until AFTER you have gone through guided setup)
    Boot into MFSLive, and mount your drive with the files on it, in the example I am using /dos as the mount point.

1) Unzip killhdinitrd-0.9.3.zip, it will make directory 'killhdinitrd-0.9.3', cd to this, and copy kernel image vmlinux-7.2.2-oth.px there. I rename this copy vmlinux-7.2.2-killhdinitrd.px so I know its been kill'ed. Then, using absolute path to make sure it runs on that file, run:
    Code:
    /dos/killhdinitrd-0.9.3/killhdinitrd /dos/killhdinitrd-0.9.3/vmlinux-7.2.2-killhdinitrd.px
    Type YES in caps, then you should see "new blocks = 00000d51" and "new image size = 001aa3e0" "Finished!"

2) Now you need to use the linux dd command to overwrite your existing kernel with this new one. To determine your active root partition (there are 2 sets, residing on hda4 and hda7, but only one is active), type:
    Code:
    bootpage -p /dev/hda
    This will return "root=/dev/hda4 ..." so you know that is the active root partition. The KERNEL PARTITION for this root partition is on hda3 (kernel is hda6 if active root is hda7, but it wont be), so to overwrite the kernel type:
    Code:
     dd if=/dos/killhdinitrd-0.9.3/vmlinux-7.2.2-killhdinitrd.px of=/dev/hda3
    Again, here you really want to use absolute path to make sure this command works, its critical to get this right. It should return "3410+0 blocks in" and "3410+0 blocks out".

3) Now you need to update the boot parameters so that your tivo doesn't download the new software and upgrade your system, which might wipe out all your hard work. Run the 'bootpage -p /dev/hda' command again, and then add "upgradesoftware=false" at the end, with the command:
    Code:
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 console=2,115200 dsscon=true upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/hda
    Note that if your tivo drive is not /dev/hda in your computer, you will still want to use "root=/dev/hda4" because when your drive is back in the tivo, it will be hda. You would just change /dev/hda to /dev/hdb or whatever at the end of that line, if you have it connected as something other than /dev/hda in your hacking computer.
    Verify the update "took" by entering 'bootpage -p /dev/hda' again.

4) Mount your active root partition on /tivo (mount -t ext2 /dev/hda4 /tivo) and cd to /tivo/etc/rc.d, and type 'touch rc.sysinit.author'. type 'vi rc.sysinit.author', press 'i' once the file opens to insert text, and paste/type this script in there.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#Enviroment Variables
    export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/tivotools:/tvbin:.
    export TIVO_ROOT=
    export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    export IGNOREEOF=1000
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/lib/modules
    export TERM=xterm
    export PS1='\h:\w$ '

#Setup HOSTNAME
    hostname DSR708

#Enable BASH on serial port
    exec /bin/bash --login </dev/ttyDSS&>/dev/ttyDSS&

#Open the firewall
    iptables -F

#Load telnet daemon and ftp dameon
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    tivoftpd&
    Of course you can save it to a file beforehand, and if you do it in linux, it will work ok, but if you use notepad in windows you'll have to edit it in vi and delete some garbage characters.
    Be sure to make the script executable: 'chmod 755 rc.sysinit.author'

5) Create folder /tivo/tivotools, put AlphaWolf's tivotools.tar in there. You will extract it later once the tivo is running and you are telneted in.

6) I create folder /tivo/hacks for all my other files, and just have /tivotools as my binaries folder with all the linux commands in it. Don't change this name, or you'll have to edit that PATH varaible in rc.sysinit.author. Copy the superpatch-67all zipfile to /tivo/hacks, and Jamie's usb drivers if you need them. Setting up the backport drivers is a bit of a pain, but necessary at this point if you don't have a usb adapter that will work with the stock drivers (only one I know of is the FA120 but I'm sure there are more). Even if you are using the FA120, you want to use the backport drivers since they triple your extraction speed and you mentioned you want to extract shows.

6.1) SETTING UP BACKPORT DRIVERS [this will work for FA120 and usb200m]:
    i) Copy the usbobj2.4.27-20070328.tar.bz2 file to /tivo/hacks and unzip it with 'tar -xjvf usbobj2.4.27-20070328.tar.bz2'.
    ii) cd to /tivo/lib/modules/
    iii) mkdir /tivo/lib/modules/backup
    iv) mv these files from /tivo/lib/modules to /tivo/lib/modules/backup:
    usb-ohic.o
    usbcore.o
    usbnet.o
    ax8817x.o

v) copy these newer backported files to the /tivo/lib/modules folder:
    usbnet.o (in usb-2.4.27/obj/drivers/2.4.20)
    usbcore.o (in usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2)
    usb-ohci.o (in usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2)
    ehci.dummy.o (in usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2)

vi) cd to /tivo/lib/modules if not already there
    vii) make symlinks:
    Code:
    ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o (this will create a new ax8817x.o symlink)
    ln -s ehci-dummy.o ehci-hcd.o (this will create a new ehci-hcd.o symlink)
    viii) verify that the symlinks worked by typing 'ls -la' and it should display the new files in blue, with an -> to the linked file. You have to do shift+pgup to scroll up.
    ix) cd to /tivo/etc/hotplug
    x) This part is adapter-specifc. You may need to add the vend/prod of your adapter to the /tivo/etc/hotplug/usb.map file. You DO NOT have to add this for the Netgear FA120 or the usb200m version 1. For the Linksys usb200m version 2, you have to add the following under the "device ax8817x" section:
    Code:
        product 13b1 0018 Linksys USB200M ver. 2
    If you have a different adapter, search the forum for what vend/prod to enter, or, if you buy/build a serial cable (HIGHLY recommended) you can log the serial output on bootup and you can see what the vend/prod is then when usb.c complains there are no active drivers for this device. Its also nice for debugging boot problems like you experienced with the sleeper iso. Instructions to build one are here and here. It is a serial port d-sub9 connector to a 1/8" stereo headphone jack. I got a pair of earbug headphones at walmart for 97 cents, but you can destroy any old pair of headphones. You then wire the appropriate pins on a serial plug (get at radioshack or use a serial cable) to the headphone wires and you have a serial cable. You can also buy one somewhere, buy I'm a DIY kinda guy.
    Your rc.sysinit.author script is already configured to get you a bash prompt with serial, so if you cant get your network up at first, at least you can access your drive with the serial cable. Get teraterm for windows (google it) and set the serial port settings to the defaults except change the baud rate to 115200 under the setup menu. If you use linux to connect, you probably have to run telnet for your serial port, not sure exactly how to do this, google it, settings are baud: 115200, data bit: 8, parity: none, stop: 1 bit, flow control: none.

7) You have now prepared the drive for its first hacked boot. Make sure to 'umount /dos' or whatever your files drive is, and 'umount /tivo', and then 'halt -f' to shutdown. ctrl-alt-del only works for me rarely in MFSLive, maybe its just me, just do something to properly shutdown and ensure all the changes are written to the drive.

If you changed any jumper settings on the tivo drive, make sure it is now set to master, or cable select. If you followed these instructions to the letter, you had it as master in your computer, so it wont need changing.

Hook it up, boot up, and cross your fingers. If you have your serial cable connected, you can monitor the boot process, which is nice to see what's going on and make sure all is well. You can also look for the vend/prod of your usb device if it is hooked up, and then add that line to your usb.map file to enable your adapter. If you're trying to use a wireless adapter, its the same idea, but I don't use them with tivos (transfers are too slow) so I can't help you there specifically. Use the search function, its your best friend.
    [CONTINUED IN NEXT POST]
    Last edited by zardano; 09-17-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Once You Have Bash Access

Ok, you're at a linux prompt, now what? You can't even type 'ls', and the drive is mounted read-only. First, type:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    to mount your filesystem read-write, then cd /tivotools and enter
    Code:
    cpio -i -H tar < tivotools.tar
    This will extract the tarball and make your commands available.
    Now, you want to disable encryption before you record anything. The easiest way is to just run the superpatch-67all, which will also enable MRV (multi-room viewing, lets your networked tivos see eachother's now playing lists) and HMO (home media option, lets you play mp3 and pictures on your tivo running TivoDesktop or JavaHMO on your PC). Note that for MRV to work on 6.2 you need to set your mrv name by running 'set_mrv_name_67.tcl MyTivoName' after running superpatch-67all. One thing superpatch does that I dislike, is it enables the 30 second skip feature, which makes the "skip to end of file/skip back to start of file" button (the -> button) not work, instead it just skips 30 seconds. I don't like that, so I delete the first line of the patch_6_2 array in the superpatch67-all script to get rid of it. Open the script in vi, type '/6.2' to search for 6.2, and then delete the first line like this:
    Code:
    # 6.2  Requires set_mrv_name_67.tcl
    #      The first two patches are 30 second skip & backdoors

array set patch_6_2 {

0x00a67d58 "1040001d 1440001d"
        0x00ae521c "00008821 24100001"
    Changes to:
    Code:
    # 6.2  Requires set_mrv_name_67.tcl
    #      The first two patches are 30 second skip & backdoors

array set patch_6_2 {

0x00ae521c "00008821 24100001"
    This script will modify your /tvbin/tivoapp file, and create a backup of it before it makes changes at /tvbin/tivoapp.original
    If you want to revert, just 'mv /tvbin/tivoapp.original /tvbin/tivoapp', and type 'reboot'.

If you don't plan on using MRV or HMO, you can just patch the tivoapp to disable encryption by following the instructions here. You are an S2 user with Software Version 6.2, so you would type this command:
    Code:
    echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=10705308
    Verify that encryption is now off by running 'ciphercheck' (its in the AlphaWolf's binaries so you can run it from anywhere). It should report: "TyStream encryption is currently disabled" at the top and then list your recordings and what their status is. Note that you only have to manually disable encryption if you opt to not use superpatch-67all, in other words, superpatch disables encryption for you.

Finally, to set up video extraction, your best bet is to use tytools. Thread is here, file is linked here. You need to get the tserver file onto your tivo drive, and then run TyTool from a windows PC. You can ftp into your tivo with any FTP software (no l/p, port 21) and put the file on there, just make sure all transfers are binary mode. Then, load TyTool on the PC, go to the "Options" menu, pull down to "Preferences" and select the last option in the list, "Server". I put my tserver in /hacks/tytools/tserver, so that's what I put in "Server Execute String." In "server shell prompt string," put "$" (no quotes, just a $). Click apply on those and close, enter your Tivo IP in the main screen, and pull down menu "server->start tserver." The server window should pop up and say:
    Code:
    Telneting to the TIVO...
    Connecting to '192.168.0.3'
    Connected...
    We got 'DSR708:/var/tmp$ ' which is the prompt!
    DSR708:/var/tmp$ /hacks/tytools/tserver
    Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...
    Waiting for an incoming connection!
    Click refresh. You should see your shows. Highlight one or more and click 'get'. This will get you some .ty files. To convert these to mpg, you need to go to menu "File->Process: Multiplex File(s)" and select the .ty files you want to convert. I find it easier to FIRST make key files (under file menu) and then Edit KeyFiles to edit out commercials or whatever, and THEN convert to mpeg. Works great and very easy, much better and more stable than Tivo's proprietary TivoToGo and TivoDesktop software, if you've ever used that you'll see what I mean.

Well...that just about does it. I'm still relatively new at this too, I just learned all of this the hard way over the past month here, so its all fresh in my mind. Hopefully this will help others having all of this consolidated in a single thread instead of trying to piece it all together from all over the forum, and help people avoid making newbie mistakes like trying to use the deprecated sleeper iso.

Good luck, and post back here to let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by zardano; 10-31-2007 at 11:09 AM.

omg Zardano Thanks so so much.. I used "mfslive6b-with-62small.iso" and fixed my drive, i put it back into my TiVo and it booted up and went thru the entire setup process. So now to proceed to the next steps with hacking it. Its 2:15am and i'm tired so it will wait till tomorrow. again thanks so much for taking the time to type that all out for me

[and WhitePelican]!!!! <3
    Last edited by interex; 10-04-2007 at 03:18 AM.

zardano: does the guided setup need to go all the way thru, even past the initial "call" durring the setup? I dont have a phone other than Packet8 voip and for some reason when it tries to make a data call thru my DTA310 adapter it never completes.. Not sure why.. What step to complete this part??

Yes, you can't skip the first call, unless you hack it. I suggest you hack it (if you can) and run fakecall.tcl to get past guided setup.

drez: if i take it to my friends who has DTV service and a phone line and hook it up there even though i put the 6.2 minimal on the hdd (un hacked) will it hurt my 6.2 minimal setup in anyway? Will it be okay to just take it over there and let it dial out on his line? If so I'll go do that today and then hack it this evening.