Thread: Vonage voicemails via JavaHMO

Vonage voicemails via JavaHMO

*** Latest version is 0.2 ***

I was looking for a way to listen to my phone messages at the TV, and the only app I could find was for HME. I wanted to find a way that would be compatible with 6.2, so I came up with this roadmap. As written it works with Vonage, but I'm sure that the batch file could be adapted for other services.
    Here's a list of necessary software:

* Voicemail Retriever
    * JavaHMO
    * Sox
    * LAME
    * The attached batch file

1) Create a folder on your Windows computer for your converted messages, then add a folder named MP3 inside it. Make sure it's in a shared directory, ie:
    XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Voicemail\MP3
    Vista - C:\Users\Public\Voicemail\MP3

2) If you haven't already, install JavaHMO and get it working, then add the Music plugin. Add your new Voicemail\MP3 folder to the list.

3) Install Sox and Lame. Sox is needed to convert the Vonage file from CCITT u-Law to PCM. Lame is then used to convert to an MP3 that the Tivo can actually play.

4) Edit the batch file to make sure the locations for Sox, Lame and your MP3 folder are correct, then drop the edited batch file into the \Voicemail folder.

5) You need a way to get the voicemail files onto your computer. I use Voicemail Retriever, which works well with Vonage (I run it on boot and keep it minimized, checking for messages and downloading them into the \Voicemail folder.) You could also have the files emailed to you and auto-save the attachments. It might also be possible to email the files to a GMail account and use GMail Drive to access them. Whatever; just get the wave files into \Voicemail (not the MP3 folder).

6) Use Task Manager to call the batch file at a repeating interval. When called it will grab the latest voicemail, parse the name for caller-id info, convert it and save the mp3, delete the wav and write a log entry. If there are multiple vms it will go through them all, one at a time.

This is a good way to archive your voicemails, too. They'll be saved as MP3s, with all the caller-id information in the tag.
    Last edited by djl; 08-06-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: new version attached
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

cant seem to install sox and lame

I have all the files but can not figure out how to install lame and sox. any help would be nice. i have tried but just cant figure this out. do i just need to place the files someplace. i'm running windows xp and 2003 server.
    5 Hughes Dtivo all running 6.2 and hacked

I'm pretty sure that they both come as zip files. Just do a full unzip and put each one in \Program Files. I was using lame 3.96 but there are newer versions so check which one you have and change the following lines accordingly:

Set sox=C:\Program Files\sox14
    Set lame=C:\Program Files\lame-3.96.1

Quote Originally Posted by usa11usa View Post
    I have all the files but can not figure out how to install lame and sox. any help would be nice. i have tried but just cant figure this out. do i just need to place the files someplace. i'm running windows xp and 2003 server.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

thank you for your help but need more

Ok so i did what you said. But get an error with the voicemail retrever. I do have vonage myself and here is the error i get. do you have any ideas on this at all.

[Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:13:24 PM] System.Exception: Unable to locate the messageBoxes node at Luthertech.VonageVM.FMain.LoadVoiceMail()

It just looks like they can not find the vonage servers I'm in the US so I'm usig the US servers

is there anything that can be done to make this work

Obviously, make sure it's installed correctly and you have the correct login information. I remember having the best luck with the "setup download" install. Assuming you've done all that, you might want to leave a feedback on the Luthertech web site or at http://vonage-forum.com. I do know that there are some irregularities if you have two numbers.

If that doesn't help you could look into some of the other ways of getting the wav files, such as email.

Quote Originally Posted by usa11usa View Post
    Ok so i did what you said. But get an error with the voicemail retrever. I do have vonage myself and here is the error i get. do you have any ideas on this at all.

[Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:13:24 PM] System.Exception: Unable to locate the messageBoxes node at Luthertech.VonageVM.FMain.LoadVoiceMail()

It just looks like they can not find the vonage servers I'm in the US so I'm usig the US servers

is there anything that can be done to make this work

i have 2 lines

i have 2 lines so maybe this is the problem

Update

There's a slightly modified version of the batch file now available in the first post, and it includes the send_url script I posted in the TWP forum. If you edit the batch file to include the IP address of your Tivo, it will send a text notification to your TV when you get a new voicemail.
    Since I first posted this, I found another program that does what Voicemail Retriever does: http://www.bluedigits.com/products/vmrover/. It's not free, but cheap and supported. Also, if you'd rather not go to the hassle of installing Sox and Lame, you can use FFMPEG to convert the message .wav file.
    Replace the two lines in the 'Convert file to MP3 for Tivo access' section with this:
    ffmpeg -i "%f%.wav" -ab 64 "%f%.mp3". It won't have mp3 tags, but it's more convenient if you've already got FFMPEG installed.