Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Extract Video from the HR20

HOWTO: Extract Video from the HR20

This is the place where you will find instructions on extracting video from your HD-20 DirecTV DVR.

This and the following 9 posts will form the basis of this FAQ with unused posts marked as "Intentionally Left Blank" for future expansion.

Special thanks to PlainBill, RonnyThunder and Blender for helping create this FAQ.

Version 1.01

----------------------------------------------------------------

Video Extraction is currently not possible on the HR20.

Indications are that the video data is encrypted on the the HR20's Hard Drive (be it internal or external) and that unlike TiVo there is no software stored on the disk which can be patched. (Like the StarChoice DSR530) indications are that the OS and software for the HR20 are stored in a flash chip. Thus, much like the old days of TiVo, one would have to reflash the unit to apply any hack such as turning off encryption. Even if Encryption could be turned off, it is unknown the file system format the the HR20 uses. That is not to mention that unlike MFS (the file system for TiVo Data Streams), there are no tools for extraction of unencrypted video from the HR20, assuming the HR20 had encrypted storage disabled.

That having been said, none of these problems are unsurmountable, but much depends on the market. If a large hacker community grows around the HR20, it is possible that people will start disassembling the HR20 firmware and use prom flashers to reprogram their units. It may then be possible that people find a way of flashing the unit without desoldering the primary Flash. Then maybe more details will come to light about the file system used by the HR20, perhaps through reverse engineering. Regardless of whether this violates law or license, it may happen.

But remember, DirecTV and NDS (the original manufacturer of the new line of non-TiVo DirecTV receivers) are also working on ways of preventing these things from happening and are not going to sit by and wait for someone to hack their unit. So it may be a game of cat and mouse for years to come. But, like DeCSS, HD DVD, Blu Ray and HDCP, it may only be a matter of time. Only time will tell who will win.
    Last edited by TimeHorse; 10-16-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Intentionally Left Blank 2

Intentionally Left Blank 3

Intentionally Left Blank 4

Intentionally Left Blank 5

Intentionally Left Blank 6

Intentionally Left Blank 7

Intentionally Left Blank 8

Intentionally Left Blank 9

Intentionally Left Blank 10

Quote Originally Posted by TimeHorse View Post
    On the other hand, HDCP remains unbroken and that is only a matter of software.
    Actually, HDCP was broken even before it went into common use. Rough details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP#Cryptanalysis

Also, you can get pass-through devices that remove the HDCP (often disguised as HDMI to DVI adapters).

-blender
    Last edited by blender; 10-15-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Well, I suppose it depends on what you mean by broken. Yes, I was aware that Niels Ferguson had postulated an attack that would be able to obtain the master key, but without the master key, HDCP will remain unbroken. However, since Ferguson refused to publish, I hadn't heard anything so it's nice to know someone finally did figure out the master key. Now, with an HDCP decryptor disguised as an HDMI to DVI adapter, the only question I have is when, if ever, will we see PCs that accept even DVI input? (Handy though it is being able to display HDCP-encrypted material on a PC monitor).

Anyway, thanks for the update, Blender!

So I see since September that MFSLive says that you can explore your HR20.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=327239

Has anyone done some digging?

I may crack the case, or just add an ESATA drive and then unplug it and start browsing.

I also have the cpabilities to remove and read PROMS.

I just dont see me finding anything quick since Im a software noob. Have to look at the processor, board structure, get a feel for the engineers design.....

Has anyone heard from Directv that all this is taboo and as soon as someone talks about is going to be hounded by the Feds...

Hmm, and now a white van is in front of my house
    2 HR20-100's with OTA (Thank GOD I didnt get a HR21)
    3 HDVR2's with 6.2, Sub'd, Hacked and 160 gig Seagates.
    1 HR10-250 with 250 WD and 300 Seagate, fully Hacked
    3 HDVR2's with 6.2, Hacked and 160 gig Seagates.
    Who doesnt have 7 Tivos? and with 5 computers, contain 2 Terabytes of storage medium in their house??
    Thanks to all who makes up DDB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenStL View Post
    So I see since September that MFSLive says that you can explore your HR20.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=327239
    Interesting. I hadn't even noticed that. Thanks.

Has there been any progress on the extraction front?
    7 RCA DVR80's Hacked (All with 250GB each)
    2 HR10-250's Hacked (Both with 400GB)
    2 HR20-100's Stock