Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Extract Video from the HR20

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    Has there been any progress on the extraction front?
    Doubtful (at least publicly anyways). Extraction would be the easy part. Decryption and multiplexing would be the challenging part.

Very promising. I haven't read the full thread yet, so I'm not up on the latest info. Even if it's limited to transfers at 'real time' speed, that's pretty good.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Any luck with extracting files from the HR20 DVR receiver from DirecTV?

I managed to break the warranty seal and replace the default HDD with a Terabyte drive, works nice since the HR20 formats it with the correct partitions upon reboot if it doesn't detect it's own filesystem structure immediately.

I have not seen anything to suggest that "extraction" has been accomplished for the HR2x series. Live streaming to an application that honors the copy protection works.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    I have not seen anything to suggest that "extraction" has been accomplished for the HR2x series. Live streaming to an application that honors the copy protection works.
    You know, all D* would have to do is come up with some software to place on your networked NAS server and I think many wouldnt even think about hacking. Just let me store vast amounts of programming that I have paid for intelligently for playback through the DVR. Scramble it.. whatever. Just don't make me play musical external hard drives with no way to even organize the files

Quote Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
    You know, all D* would have to do is come up with some software to place on your networked NAS server and I think many wouldnt even think about hacking. Just let me store vast amounts of programming that I have paid for intelligently for playback through the DVR. Scramble it.. whatever. Just don't make me play musical external hard drives with no way to even organize the files

Amazing!!! Many of us who own an HR20 are aware that this can easily be done by running TVersity. It handles pictures, music, and videos. And it's a snap to set up.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post

Amazing!!! Many of us who own an HR20 are aware that this can easily be done by running TVersity. It handles pictures, music, and videos. And it's a snap to set up.

PlainBill
    You can move D* HD recordings from the HR20 DVR to an NAS server and manage them? I have an HR20 and an HR21 and didnt know that. Of course you can use media share to play back material you already have on an NAS or a computer etc. I think everyone knows that. The only way I know of to not have a D* recording located on the HR20's internal HD is to use an external ESATA drive. Of course if you wanted any sort of structure you would need seven of them, one for each day of the week to have all episodes of say "24" in the same folder and on the same disk. Its an absolutely mickey mouse way to store material. Some sort of copy protection software from D* could allow Raid NAS servers to be used over an ethernet network putting an end to this nonsense.
    Last edited by vurbano; 11-28-2008 at 06:32 PM.

35 When you make an extraction you make an x out of you and traction?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1134 View Post
    Doubtful (at least publicly anyways). Extraction would be the easy part. Decryption and multiplexing would be the challenging part.
    Last week I installed DIRECTV2PC. Sadly, I had to decommission one of my 2 DirecTV TiVos and succumb to HD. I have a DirecTV HR23 DVR.

While running the DIRECTV2PC application, I fired up Wireshark (aka Ethereal)

The paradigm is similar to the web server on S2 and S3 TiVo units, minus the user-friendly front end.

http://{your_DVR_IP}:49152/virtual/description.xml

gives some interesting content about the DVR, in general

http://{your_DVR_IP}:49152/virtual/ContentDirectorySCPD.xml

gives you the mapping to the SOAP calls used to 'extract' shows

The Cyberlink application, DIRECTV2PC merely is a web-service front end, performing and rendering the SOAP calls to the DVR.

Shows can be 'extracted' by:

http://{your_DVR_IP}:9000/playback?id=avmedia-0x0a0aa0a00a0a0a00

(I replaced all numbers and letters with 0 or a intentionally.)

The resulting files seems to be a complete video. I've tried to use applications like GSpot or VideoInspector to "peek" inside. Both can't process the video files or identify codecs.

I found these urls via looking at the traffic in the results via Wireshark. Each show has its own id. I'll be working to formulate the correct SOAP calls to view the various shows. I can supply the SOAP request if you are interested.

A little about the Cyberlink DIRECTV2PC application:

C:\Program Files\DirecTV\DirecTV\Kernel\DMP has what appears to be the codecs.

I've tried opening Media Player Classic. In External Filters, I've added the Cyberlink items listed and am not able to play.

I'm by no means an expert here, just tripping around. I don't know if my filter order matters, if I'm missing a codec to be correctly installed into MPC.

Another interesting item to note, the below code seems to describe the video in the SOAP calls.

Code:
    http-get:*:video/isdb:DLNA.ORG_PN=MPEG_TS_HD_NA;DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DHTOOLS.ORG_PN=MPEG_TS_HD_NA

My real goal here is to backup kids shows onto my NAS for playback via MediaShare. I don't want to pirate any of the programming which could be more easily found elsewhere online I'm sure.

Anyone willing to share some more thoughts or tips.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmmd View Post
    Anyone willing to share some more thoughts or tips.
    Wish I had something to add.

I am really hating life with respect to no extraction on the DTV boxes. All of my TVs are now HD. The HDVR2 was working great to get video onto the iPhone for plane trips. I used that to get caught up with whatever series I was behind on. I basically have to keep an extra box subscribed and record everything I might want to watch. I would be happy with some sort of TIVO TO GO thing on the HR20-xx.
    HR10-250 - 500G, HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

I'm glad to see you were able to capture the data stream. That is one step. I think you are missing one part of the puzzle. If you recall, when you first ran DIRECTV2PC it had to acquire a key. I suspect learning how that key is used to convert the data will make extraction possible.

PlainBill

DIRECTV2PC is using DLNA protocols with an extra layer of encryption. You may want to study DLNA to save some effort in understanding what the application is doing.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jsmmd View Post
    My real goal here is to backup kids shows onto my NAS for playback via MediaShare. I don't want to pirate any of the programming which could be more easily found elsewhere online I'm sure.

Exactly what I would like to do with it too.
    Verizon FIOS
    2- TivoHD units modified with 1TB drives.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    I'm glad to see you were able to capture the data stream. That is one step. I think you are missing one part of the puzzle. If you recall, when you first ran DIRECTV2PC it had to acquire a key. I suspect learning how that key is used to convert the data will make extraction possible.

PlainBill
    Quote Originally Posted by stevel
    DIRECTV2PC is using DLNA protocols with an extra layer of encryption. You may want to study DLNA to save some effort in understanding what the application is doing.

Well, I've tried to work some more on this, I've hit a wall trying to read through the http traffic. I'm at the end of my skillset.

I'd really like to hear if anyone else has had any luck with the information I've supplied, any suggestions? I just need a little boost.

"Why do I hate DLNA protocol so much ?"

Code:
    You’ll find below the only supported stream characteristics:

* Image Codecs: JPEG, PNG
        * Audio Codecs: AC3, AMR, ATRAC3, LPCM, MP3, MPEG4, WMA
        * Video Codecs: MPEG 1, MPEG 2, MPEG 4 Part 2 (a.k.a DivX), MPEG 4 Part 10 (a.k.a H.264), WMV9.
        * Containers: MPEG PS/TS, MP4, ASF for video files …

Well, I know what in general the package is, I just suck at breaking encryption.
    Last edited by jsmmd; 03-16-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: add more stuff