Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48

Thread: HOWTO: Extract Video from the HR20

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1

    Question DirectTV browse

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenStL View Post
    So I see since September that MFSLive says that you can explore your HR20.

    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=327239

    Has anyone done some digging?

    I may crack the case, or just add an ESATA drive and then unplug it and start browsing.

    I also have the cpabilities to remove and read PROMS.

    I just dont see me finding anything quick since Im a software noob. Have to look at the processor, board structure, get a feel for the engineers design.....

    Has anyone heard from Directv that all this is taboo and as soon as someone talks about is going to be hounded by the Feds...

    Hmm, and now a white van is in front of my house
    I can browse my DirectTV DVR from suse Linux however the files are encypted.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4
    are there any developments on extracting and decoding or even streaming it through a media server like WDTV Live?

    I missed the old Tivo where I can use TyTools. DirectV2PC sreaming works on my PC but it's ideal through a mediaserver.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Noo Hampsha
    Posts
    738
    Not that I'm aware of.
    Steve

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1
    Still no luck, eh? I'm mainly interested in this because DirecTV2PC is a Windows-only thing. I've tried VMWare and Parallels on Linux and Mac with no joy.

    I'm sick to death of the whole user experience with my HR20, and am just trying to get the videos off to watch on one of my media center machines.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    123
    I still holding out slim hope for Tivo ToGo when the Tivo I/F comes to the HR2X boxes.
    HR10-250 - 500G, HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Raketemensch View Post
    Still no luck, eh? I'm mainly interested in this because DirecTV2PC is a Windows-only thing. I've tried VMWare and Parallels on Linux and Mac with no joy.

    I'm sick to death of the whole user experience with my HR20, and am just trying to get the videos off to watch on one of my media center machines.
    This makes me wonder what you are doing wrong. I've had an HR20-700 for more than three years and it has been extremely reliable. To put it bluntly, the learning curve after using the TiVo UI for several years was very short. Notable deficiencies have been resolved. Features well beyond those available on a hacked HD DirecTiVo are now standard.

    At this point the only thing it won't do is allow extraction. While I agree it would be a nice feature, I do understand DirecTV's position on that.

    PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

    "You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

    HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by dengland View Post
    I still holding out slim hope for Tivo ToGo when the Tivo I/F comes to the HR2X boxes.
    I'm not so sure I would look forward to a TiVo UI. At this point that would require massive upgrades to standard TiVo features or it would represent a downgrade from the DirecTV software.

    PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

    "You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

    HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    I'm not so sure I would look forward to a TiVo UI. At this point that would require massive upgrades to standard TiVo features or it would represent a downgrade from the DirecTV software.
    PlainBill
    My main TV is 95% of the time serviced by the HR10-250. I use the HR20 for NFL ticket and any other MPEG4 only HD signal. The other TVs in the house have the HR20s. I feel that I am well versed in both GUIs. The HR20 is a fully capable machine, but I am not sure what would be a step backwards from it. (Maybe I am making an assumption that the Tivo boxes would get the media player stuff and MRV and you aren't making that same assumption.)

    (I need to update my signature to add another HR22 and get rid of an HR10)
    HR10-250 - 500G, HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    5,601
    Quote Originally Posted by dengland View Post
    My main TV is 95% of the time serviced by the HR10-250. I use the HR20 for NFL ticket and any other MPEG4 only HD signal. The other TVs in the house have the HR20s. I feel that I am well versed in both GUIs. The HR20 is a fully capable machine, but I am not sure what would be a step backwards from it. (Maybe I am making an assumption that the Tivo boxes would get the media player stuff and MRV and you aren't making that same assumption.)

    (I need to update my signature to add another HR22 and get rid of an HR10)
    I looked at the development of the Series 2 DirecTiVos. It took what - 3 years? for TiVo to add folders to the OS, and actually get decent speed out of the UI. Other features - caller ID, 'Gas guage', media sharing, MRV were never added. Without a major push from DirecTV I see no reason to believe those features would ever be added to the existing boxes.

    The kindest thing that can be said about the response speed on the HR22 is that is works. The HR20 was 'tolerable'. The HR24 has been reported to be very fast.

    PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

    "You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

    HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    128
    I just upgraded from an HR22 to the HR24. I'm back here posting b/c I'm looking for ways to get back to the extraction game and hoping that the smart people have figured a way to make it work with the WMP functions of DirecTV2PC.

    Yes, the HR24 is a screaming demon on the menus, fast like a twitch game. As fast as you can push buttons, it reacts. Me like.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Noo Hampsha
    Posts
    738
    Not that I've heard of.
    Steve

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Isle of Kent
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    This makes me wonder what you are doing wrong. I've had an HR20-700 for more than three years and it has been extremely reliable. To put it bluntly, the learning curve after using the TiVo UI for several years was very short. Notable deficiencies have been resolved. Features well beyond those available on a hacked HD DirecTiVo are now standard.

    At this point the only thing it won't do is allow extraction. While I agree it would be a nice feature, I do understand DirecTV's position on that.

    PlainBill

    I am still using the DirecTiVo hacked. Had to replace a unit that was failing. Transfered wanted shows to second box, went in with TiVoWebPlus and copied all the season passes from both machines (over 130 each) and pasted them into an Excel spreadsheet. Transfered the hard drive, cleared and deleted all, plugged it in and activated and after a few days when the guide got built reinstalled all the Season Passes very easily from the list and got rid of some duplicates we had because of the failing uint and recording on both to be sure we got a clean copy. After getting all the season passes back on the machine I went into TiVoWebPlus and prioritized all the season passes. Much easier than using the remote and moving passes one at a time one slot at a button press. Just determine the order you want and put that number in the list. TiVoWebPlus addresses the DirecTiVo and reorders the season pass list. As I understand it, none of the above are possible with the DirecTV Rupert boxes, with the exception of a cleaned off hard drive swap.

    No transfer, no extraction of season passes (series links) no reordering of passes in a nice orderly fashion on the computer, and certainly not more than 50 Season Passes (Series Links). How it that better?

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    123
    Thanks for posting today. I had sort of forgot about this thread.

    HR10-250 is the only Tivo box I have left. I still do majority of the TV watching from that one using OTA.

    Like you, I find tivoweb a better interface than the remote if I want to do anything complicated.

    I guess we got the answer to the burning question the thread asked.... It is called Nomad. I will probably break down and buy one. Anything I want to take with me on my iPad, comes via a tuner card in my PC right now. Works pretty well. That is what finally made me deactivate my last HDVR2 last December. I am currently SOL if the content comes from SHO, AMC, etc without the Nomad.

    I guess we also know that I was wrong back in post #38. No TivoToGo and no MRV for the new Tivo box.... Just old HW. I cannot see myself getting one of those now. I might be tempted if it was on the HR24 HW, but it still would be missing some of the neat things that D has done (e.g. iPad app). When the HR10 dies, I may just get the HR34....
    HR10-250 - 500G, HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Isle of Kent
    Posts
    8
    That Nomad looks interesting. Will have to study up on it.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    73
    What is this nomad device you speak of?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •