Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Upgrade the Hard Drive in an HR20

Quote Originally Posted by grundy2 View Post
    Can you use an external USB drive or does it have to be eSATA?
    Must be a SATA drive. I have a SATA drive and an external power supply and data cable, works like a champ but it's not case mounted. I'll be purchasing a case some day because leaving a drive out in the open running is an accident waiting to happen. But I was just testing to see if my drive and data cable would work, it does.

Also, read the threads, not all eSATA drives are created equal and some just don't work well.

Joe
    Rocket Science by day, Mad Scientist by night.

[Please Ignore]
    Steve

Upgrading HD in HR21-100

I just upgraded my HR21-100 to a 1GB HD. (A WD10EACS )
    Replacing the drive was just a little different (and easier) than the instructions I've seen posted here.
    Note: Your Favorites and Recording Schedule are on the HD, so when you replace it, you have to recreate both of those.
    All the screws are SECURITY Torx, so a normal torx bit won't work. (Security torx have the little pin in the middle.)

1) Unplug everything (duh!)
    2) Remove cover. Screws on back, then just slide cover back a little and lift it off. (Just for the heck of it, before I removed the cover, I used a razor blade to carefully peel back the warranty foil sticker so it isn't broken.)
    3) Unplug cables from HD. (slide the little metal latch plate on each plug to release it.)
    4) The HD is mounted to a plastic frame. There are 4 screws holding the frame in. 2 on the top front edge through the front cover, and 2 at the back bottom holding it down to the PC board. Remove all 4 screws.
    5) There is a little black wire hooked around the plastic frame, carefully move it out of the hooks on the frame.
    6) Slide out the plastic barrier that extends to the back of the case.
    7) Left the back of the frame up to clear things on the circuit board, then tilt/slide it to get the fan out from under the front cover. Then you can slide it all further to the left to get the other front corner out from under the front cover.
    8) The drive is held in by 4 screws from the bottom of the frame.
    9) Replace the drive.
    10) Reverse order the steps to put it all back together.

Quote Originally Posted by CasaDelGato View Post
    I just upgraded my HR21-100 to a 1GB HD. (A WD10EACS ).
    Wow! A whole GB!

Quote Originally Posted by CasaDelGato View Post
    I just upgraded my HR21-100 to a 1GB HD. (A WD10EACS )
    Replacing the drive was just a little different (and easier) than the instructions I've seen posted here.
    I know you meant 1TB, but do you have all the hard drive available?

-Joe
    Rocket Science by day, Mad Scientist by night.

Of course I meant 1TB. (which kind of boggles my mind, as my first HD was 10MB - and I was happy to have such a huge amount of storage!)

Anyway, as far as I can tell, all the space is there. I've made a few recordings, and there was still 99% available.
    We won't know for sure until the drive starts getting full.

badzy Guest

experts

nice info!
    thanks for shraring

HR 20 External 1 TB

I just purchased a WD My Book 1 TB drive. Has anyone used this drive with a HR 20?
    Second question, this drive uses a eSata connection. Is the connection on the HR 20 a eSata or just Sata. I'm not sure what the diffence is but I'm having trouble finding an external cable and don't want to get the wrong one.
    Thanks for any help.
    Bill

Lots of discussion of use of external drives at dbstalk.com. The connection is eSATA and you want one that is "eSATA 2.0" otherwise the connector may not seat firmly. The physical connector is slightly different than a normal SATA connector.
    Steve

Can't get the WD 1TB to be recognizes by the HR20. Have checked the connection and powered the dvr off an on several times.
    Any suggestions?

Wd 1tb

I've tried 2 different cables and also put the Western Digital drive on a second R20 without it working. I'm returning it and will try a differnt drive.

Installed Acomdata 1TB drive and it works great.

ok well I'm in the same boat here. I have a brand new hr20 and want to put in a wd1001FALS and just want to know if anyone have done this or if anyone knows if it will work. I think from reading I just open up the case and remove the drive and put this one in. is it really just that easy?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth1 View Post
    ok well I'm in the same boat here. I have a brand new hr20 and want to put in a wd1001FALS and just want to know if anyone have done this or if anyone knows if it will work. I think from reading I just open up the case and remove the drive and put this one in. is it really just that easy?

Thanks
    I haven't gotten approval to do this yet, but I understand that with a few caveats it's just that simple.

The drive is more firmly embedded in place than is usually the case.

Some drives may work better than others.

Unless you copy the contents of the old drive to the new you will loose your exiting recordings, season passes, etc.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, more discussion is available on dbstalk.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Ok well all went very well and very easy. I used a T9 screw driver and did not take as mush apart as stated above. You can take the whole hard drive and fan out and pop the fan out and the screws are right there to remove the hard drive. Does anyone know how to display the number of hours I can now record?