Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Upgrade the Hard Drive in an HR20

There is no single number for hours, as it depends on the program. But there is a space used display at the bottom of the recorded programs list.
    Steve

So there is no real way to know if my new hard drive can be used up to the new space. How do you know other then I put in the new drive and can record show?

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth1 View Post
    So there is no real way to know if my new hard drive can be used up to the new space. How do you know other then I put in the new drive and can record show?
    Three ways: Bring up the list of recordings. There is a 'gas gauge' which shows the % of drive space available. If it indicates less than 50% of the drive is used you can surmise that the full capacity is available.

Compare the 'gas gauge' on original and new drives.

Trust. Many people have hooked up larger drives and reported using the increased capacity. You are special, but not so special that DirecTV would deliberately sabotage your attempt to gain more recording capacity.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcat400 View Post
    Possibly.

One more thing.... My system detects and accesses the drive fine only when booting with the BIOS SATA Config option set to IDE.
    It appears that linux kernel 2.6.24 can deal with the "power-up in standby" feature of this WD3200AVBS drive, as I spin-up and access the drive with two different live CDs using this kernel:
    gparted-live-0.3.7-7.iso
    ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso

I may be possible to disable the feature using hdparm or http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=226068 but I didn't want to mess with my drive.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    I like Seagates; others swear by Western Digital. Many swear at Maxtor. Hitichi bought IBM's hard drive division. IBM Deskstar drives were notorious for not working with TiVos.

PlainBill
    Hi, I wanted to buy my husband (who has a DirecTV HR-20) a 2TB external drive for extra storage and backup for xmas, and I have read that the Seagates AND the Western Digital don't often work, like they're not recognized by the HR-20. They're a lot and I don't want to muck it up, do you have any suggestions on any particular brands that will definatly work with the HR-20?

Quote Originally Posted by plazakiya View Post
    Hi, I wanted to buy my husband (who has a DirecTV HR-20) a 2TB external drive for extra storage and backup for xmas, and I have read that the Seagates AND the Western Digital don't often work, like they're not recognized by the HR-20. They're a lot and I don't want to muck it up, do you have any suggestions on any particular brands that will definatly work with the HR-20?
    An HR-20 is a lot less picky than a HR-21, so that's good for you. As far as I know there isn't a problem with any of the actual bare drives from Seagate or WD, but it is the enclosure used that causes the problems. Since you want 2TB, you are adding an additional level of complexity because you will need to find a raid enclosure that works. If 1.5TB were acceptable, you could probably could use an enclosure containing single Seagate drive.

Here's a good summary of your options:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=142735
    Here's a thread dedicated to known working solutions, but it is quite long:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=92029

ok so I had a 1.5 seagate in my hr20 for months with no problem. It seem like since the last upgrade I have been having lock ups while watching a program recorded. the program will just stop in the middle and ask me to delete, but if I reboot the unit sometimes I can watch the whole thing. I cant seem to tell from reading if this is a bad harddrive, or a upgrade problem. any thoughts?

make sure you have the latest firmware update just released by Seagate on your drive.

Ok I can try that. Can I update the firmware with data on it? Also does anyone know, do you leave the jumper on or take it off for 3.0 speed?

unresponsive hr21-700 after 1tb internal upgrade

I'm just starting my search, so I may find more info, however the boolean I choose at google didnt show me much, I upgraded all of our hr20's and hr21's in the house to new internal disks, I actually took the HR21-700 (I only own 1) and removed its 500gig hard drive and replaced it with a 1.0 TB hard drive. (I sucessfully moved the 500gb contents to the 1000gb drive using the posted methods, really not a issue). I used MHDD to modfify the require spin up command command since its a simply one command using low lever hard drive tools. I then took the 500gb and put them in the older hr20's (stock 300gb, but 200 more gigs is 200 more gigs).

Anyways, here is the million dollar question, the responsivness of the 1tb hr21-700 has steadily declined. Deleting individual programs from within program folders can take 5 minutes, then after the delete, scrolling through the list of saved programs can take 3 minutes per page, you can watch the screen start to scroll the list and wobble into slow motion and delay as the remainder of the lower portion of the list becomes the top.

I noticed that after deleting if, you don't do anything for 2-3 minutes (maybe its re-cataloging what remains) that you get the responsiveness back. The weird part, is its happening only 75% of the time. While it *IS* messing up, I've tried removing records up near the "just recorded (same day)" as well as the oldest in the listing to see if there is any change depending on new or old (assuming different locations on the hard drive). No difference, I've tried deleting entire groups (4-5 episodes per folder) and the delete time for the whole folder is about the same as an individual show. The hr21-700 1TB currently has 19% remaining due to my hours spent testing. The unit's delete feature has gotten so bad, we just don't delete, when it got down to 0% and started auto deleting, it seemed the system did a better job of auto deleting, it at least saved the frustration of sitting looking at the -list- of your recordings while it is non responsive for 3-4 minutes.

The deleting is the easiest to talk about, but choosing the guide 25% of the time gives you the small active tv window up in the upper right (with channel viewable) but the guide area is solid blue with no text on it, until 2 minutes or so when the guide finally shows up, also when scrolling through the guide, it seems if you hit down/up twice, it tends to hang, rather than if you were to hit it once, watch it scroll, then hit it again. Double down and it takes 45 seconds to move, down once, it can take 3-5 seconds and then another when you hit it again, it seems as you scroll maybe 8-9 or up/downs that it then hangs (almost like its queuing up the next 6-7 screens of data) at which time you can again scroll 4-6 screens before it hangs up again. Very weird..

choosing to navigate into a folder of items (freinds fof instance), you can see it move in, and display just about everything it should, *EXCEPT* it hangs up getting the info about the show when you choose select on a individual choice, the play/keep/delete/rec. series left handed menu displays quickly, but the whole info box to the right witht he first aired, run time, episode recorded time, etc, etc can take mnutes to populate, hit back, choose another episode and everything fills on select.

in a nutshell, it seems like the unit gets lost, almost like its having to recatalog its items list after a delete, or when trying to scroll multiple pages at a go, its responsive up to a point, and when it hangs, if you can have 5 minutes of patience (like its catching up)

Im in the process of deleting older stuff now to see if responsiveness gets better as more free space becomes available. Im also trying to work it closer to 52-53% free space so that I can move the data back from the 1 TB disk to the original 500 gb disk, thinking that maybe I can put the 1tb drive in a computer and replace it with a diffrent brand external esata and connect it via external sata. I believe the 1 TB disk was a samsung which I always ranked higher than the firmware problematic Seagate's on the market, but thats just my opinion, its obviously not working great here.

I would expect if my issues were happening to others, I would get hits on my google searches, here, and at dbs talk, but I'm just not seeing these issues all over the place, anyone got any idea's, Im all ears, non of my 4 hr-20's (1 with the hr21-700's disk, 2 with segate internal 500gb drives, with Seagate 750gb internal) seem to be having any issues, but at the same time, non of the other units are abused like this unit, most record 1 to 2 things on season passes, but this hr21-700 with 1tb drive spends more than 12 hours a day recording on at least 2 days of the week.

Thanks in advance, I'll probably copy and paste this on a few other dbs/dvr sites.

Too bad, the HDDVR doesn't have disk tools on a hidden menu, like a defrag, etc, etc, sure that couldn't hurt..

Quote Originally Posted by septicdeath View Post
    <SNIP>
    Anyways, here is the million dollar question, the responsivness of the 1tb hr21-700 has steadily declined. <SNIP>
    I'd check the forums at dbstalk. There is much more activity with the HR2x DVS there. Maybe someone has suggestions.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I would take the drive out and run Spinrite on it, sounds like it could be a failing drive. If you dont have Spinrite or dont want to spend the money at least run the mfg diags on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth1 View Post
    Ok I can try that. Can I update the firmware with data on it? Also does anyone know, do you leave the jumper on or take it off for 3.0 speed?
    Sorry for the late reply, the update can be applied with data. I usually leave the jumpers alone assuming they are sent with the jumbers properly set for the best performance. Did you get around to applying the firmware update?

Quote Originally Posted by ntrance View Post
    It appears that linux kernel 2.6.24 can deal with the "power-up in standby" feature of this WD3200AVBS drive, as I spin-up and access the drive with two different live CDs using this kernel:
    gparted-live-0.3.7-7.iso
    ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso

I may be possible to disable the feature using hdparm or http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=226068 but I didn't want to mess with my drive.
    I'm replying to this old thread because I'm trying the upgrade an HR20 and having a similar issue. (The thread over at dbstalk about this procedure is closed so I can't reply there. And I don't find anything that matches Stuart Sweet's reference to a new thread being done in the Information Resources sub-forum.) I've removed the original HD from the HR20 and attached it plus a new drive to a PC, and it isn't showing up in the BIOS. I downloaded iso for GParted Live 0.4.6-1, and it won't boot from CD with the original HD connected. When I disconnect the HD, it boots up.

Reading the thread here and at dbstalk, I don't see any references to having to do anything to the original drive to see it, other than running Gparted Live version 0.3.7-7 or newer, which I am.

The PC I'm using is a DIY build, based on a DFI NF4 SLI Infinity mainboard, AMD 4200 X2 CPU. Could there be a chipset compatibility issue?

Quote Originally Posted by pheroy View Post
    I'm replying to this old thread because I'm trying the upgrade an HR20 and having a similar issue. (The thread over at dbstalk about this procedure is closed so I can't reply there. And I don't find anything that matches Stuart Sweet's reference to a new thread being done in the Information Resources sub-forum.) I've removed the original HD from the HR20 and attached it plus a new drive to a PC, and it isn't showing up in the BIOS. I downloaded iso for GParted Live 0.4.6-1, and it won't boot from CD with the original HD connected. When I disconnect the HD, it boots up.

Reading the thread here and at dbstalk, I don't see any references to having to do anything to the original drive to see it, other than running Gparted Live version 0.3.7-7 or newer, which I am.

The PC I'm using is a DIY build, based on a DFI NF4 SLI Infinity mainboard, AMD 4200 X2 CPU. Could there be a chipset compatibility issue?
    I see two possible causes. The trivial problem is making sure the SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS. If that has been done, the most likely explanation is a motherboard chipset that is not fully supported by the linux kernel. I did this upgrade over a year ago with a comparatively ancient Soyo motherboard and (IIRC) 1.4 Ghz AMD cpu. It went well. The only problem was killing the power to the DVR at the appropriate time.

PlainBill