Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HOWTO: Upgrade the Hard Drive in an HR20

Thanks for the quick response, PlainBill.

As it turns out, I just tried a simple swap of the SATA cables, and now GParted is booting and I can see both drives. I still can't see the original HD in the BIOS though, which seems really odd. Hopefully the rest of this goes a little more smoothly.

If you reboot the computer after gparted has spun-up the drive, your bios should see it, but it is not necessary for the procedure. Good luck with the rest of your upgrade. Here is the new thread over a dbstalk in case you were still interrested:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148760

Thanks for the link, ntrance.

So it took a bit of futzing (the new HD was pulled from a Windows box and I had to re-partition it with GParted before the HR20 seemed to even want to acknowledge it, though in retrospect it's possible that was unnecessary and I was just impatient with the HR20), but I got the drives set for the copy. (As in, each HD was pulled from the HR20 after doing the s/w reset, pulling the power cord just as the LEDs go out.) But when I started the xfsdump command as specified, it took a whopping 8 seconds to run. My original HD is not full, but it should certainly have taken longer than that. I was very, very careful to make sure I had the correct drives as "sda" and "sdb", with the partitions # 2 & 3 of each mounted as "fap" and "hr20" respectively - 100% confidence about that. I double and triple checked in the GParted window. But looking at the following command from the instructions:

Code:
    xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap
    That just looks backward to me. "fap" is the mounted original HD, and "hr20" is the mounted new HD. Isn't this attempting to dump the new and restore it to the old, which is the opposite of what's desired?
    Last edited by pheroy; 09-24-2009 at 01:50 AM.

Oh, fudge. After re-re-re-reading the directions, I realize that I somehow glossed over that "sda" is the NEW HD, and "sdb" is the OLD HD.

Guess I'll get to find out shortly if dumping an empty filesystem actually erased the original HD.

[Edit: looks like it is going to work, the dump size is 211 MB. Nice... and I am definitely glad I tried this technique on this older HR20 which I'm really using as a secondary unit now, before doing it on my main HR21. Really just one archived recording that I'd hate to lose.]
    Last edited by pheroy; 09-24-2009 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pheroy View Post
    Guess I'll get to find out shortly if dumping an empty filesystem actually erased the original HD.
    I'm curious to know what the answer to this is. My belief is that the original drive is not erased.

Quote Originally Posted by ntrance View Post
    I'm curious to know what the answer to this is. My belief is that the original drive is not erased.
    And you would be correct. Everything is there, except for my favorite channels setup (which might have been reset by DTV recently - I can't verify that now, but I have seen a couple of s/w upgrades recently). Recorded shows, recording subscriptions, prioritizer, everything else seems to be there.

Now, if there was anything at all on the new drive, maybe that would not be the case. It worked, and it was a nice little learning experience - so now it's on to the 1.5 TB drive for the HR21 in my main HT room.

Quote Originally Posted by pheroy View Post
    Now, if there was anything at all on the new drive, maybe that would not be the case. It worked, and it was a nice little learning experience - so now it's on to the 1.5 TB drive for the HR21 in my main HT room.
    I confirmed that it would work even if there were recordings on both drives. The playlists from both drives would be merged and all recordings would be playable.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...77#post2229477

I wanted to chime in with something I just did.

I had a 1TB eSATA Calvary with about 90 or so tv episodes on it hooked to an owned HR20. I opened the HR20 & the external up, and replaced the internal 320G with the 1TB that was in the Calvary. Everything seems to be working as you'd expect, complete w/the existing recordings. I'll report back if any issues crop up.

Hey guys, I'm a noob here. Put a new Seagate 1TB drive in my HR20-100S. I get an error that says " A problem has been deteted in the storage device.

This may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault. Please reboot the box now. that may fix this problem. If that does not work, please call customer service at 1-800-531-5000 and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostics code: 14-736.

Wondering if I got a bad drive or this is not as easy as just swapping the drive. All I did was pull out the old drive and put in the new one. I put the old drive back in and it worked fine.

Any tips for a struggling noob?

Thanks!

Rob Swartz, Sierra Vista, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by az-twin View Post
    Hey guys, I'm a noob here. Put a new Seagate 1TB drive in my HR20-100S. I get an error that says " A problem has been deteted in the storage device.

This may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault. Please reboot the box now. that may fix this problem. If that does not work, please call customer service at 1-800-531-5000 and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostics code: 14-736.

Wondering if I got a bad drive or this is not as easy as just swapping the drive. All I did was pull out the old drive and put in the new one. I put the old drive back in and it worked fine.

Any tips for a struggling noob?

Thanks!

Rob Swartz, Sierra Vista, AZ
    It SHOULD work. Although I copied the contents of the original drive to the new drive, the first step of the process is to initialize the new drive in the DirecTv DVR just like you did. My only suggestions would be to test the new drive in a PC, recheck the cables, and also make sure any transfer speed jumper is set properly. If those steps check out, you have a bad drive

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.