Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: s3tots: Convert series 3 TY/TY+/TMF to mpeg2 transport stream format

s3tots: Convert series 3 TY/TY+/TMF to mpeg2 transport stream format

s3tots will convert your unencrypted TY recordings into standard mpeg2 transport streams, in a single step.

s3tots works on all combinations of OTA, analog cable, digital cable, SD, HD, and even tivocast, but not Amazon unbox. (Unbox recordings seem to include extra macrovision(?) scrambling of the video&audio streams that I'm not interested in getting into.)

s3tots has a simple command line user interface just like tytompg. Typical usage is simply:
    s3tots <show>.ty
    Output is to <show>.ts by default. Some switches:
    Code:
    -y     	     	   Allow overwrite of output file without confirmation,
    		   even if it already exists
    -i <file>	   Specify input ty/ty+/tmf file
    -o <file>	   Output .ts to specified file
    -c start,duration  Only extract .ts from start thru start+duration time.
       		   Start and end are decimal numbers, units in seconds.
    -s <number>	   Skip <number> chunks on input before processing.
       		   Note: if input file is a .tmf file,
    		   this option will not work correctly
    -n <number>	   Process <number> chunks from input
    -t 		   Omit PAT/PMT tables in generated .ts file 
    		   (included by default)
    Example:
    Code:
    % s3tots sell.ty
    s3tots: Copyright (c) 2004-2007 B.C. <bcc24x7@gmail.com>
    Version 0.7, Source is sell.ty, dest is sell.ts
    TY set video,audio pid: 7c0,7c1.  Audio is AC3
    12956960 transport stream bytes
    Recording elapsed time: 6 seconds Rate: 16.00 Mbps
    %
    I've had success playing back transport streams with most media players, including xine, mplayer, vlc, and powerdvd. For some streams, xine&mplayer can screw up the a/v sync during playback, even though the sync is preserved during the decode process. powerdvd&vlc don't seem to share this problem.

If you're having trouble with a media player's ability to play .ts files, or with an authoring program's support of .ts, you may want to try converting the .ts to .mpg. I believe the best tool for this is videoredo as it also allows for frame accurate editing and can repair transmission problems in your stream, all without re-transcoding the streams.

s3tots tracks and reports on continuity errors, discontinuity flags, and warped PCR timestamps. You likely can safely ignore any such errors, so long as you process your resulting .ts file with a program such as videoredo. Otherwise, such errors likely are a sign that you have reception problems and you're best off re-recording your show.

Windows 32, linux-x86, linux-x86-64 binaries attached, as well as source.
    Update: 1.4 version (source code only; as change vs 1.3 is only source code portability for osx).

Enjoy,

B.C.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bcc; 11-15-2009 at 05:48 PM.

<more usage/troubleshooting info goes here>

wait ..

Is this what I think it is ?

Does this mean I can take my recorded HD shows off of my s3 tivo and transfer them to my Unix fileserver, without DRM, and keep them forever, even if I throw away the tivo ?

Quote Originally Posted by tiver View Post
    wait ..

Is this what I think it is ?

Does this mean I can take my recorded HD shows off of my s3 tivo and transfer them to my Unix fileserver, without DRM, and keep them forever, even if I throw away the tivo ?
    If you mean can you use this to take your recorded HD shows off of your s3 tivo and transfer them to your Unix fileserver, without DRM, even if you throw away the tivo, in order to accomplish legitimate, legal time shifting, yes.

Well, I don't know the legality - I mean, I am _paying for_ the cable TV, and I don't see any option possible to _pay more_ for it...

This is HUGE! I am going to buy an s3 tivo _today_ ... previously it was irrelevant because the shows were locked into a closed, proprietary system and could not be moved arbitrarily to whatever unix-based device I wanted to ...

Does tivo know how many people are disqualified from using their products because their products are "defective by design" ?

Ok, last question - does this work on _both_ the original s3 and the new "HD" tivo ? No problems using cable cards as the inputs ?

keep in mind that this will require a prom hack (hardware modification) and a software patch to disable encryption; shows recorded prior to this won't be extractable.

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by ronnythunder View Post
    shows recorded prior to this won't be extractable.
    Tivodecode will do that except for flagged shows.

What is the track record for future tivo software updates/upgrades breaking this setup, should I dive into it ?

I am thinking of the recent iPhone situation where a number of third party apps stopped working due to a iPhone software update ...

I'd really like to buy a HD tivo and get this going (that is, the ability to actually archive shows, not just have them tenuously stored on a volatile, defective-by-design, closed, non-redundant system) but I don't want to invest the time and money if tivo will just break it next month...

comments ?

What is the track record for future tivo software updates/upgrades breaking this setup, should I dive into it ?

I am thinking of the recent iPhone situation where a number of third party apps stopped working due to a iPhone software update ...
    As mentioned, you need a PROM mod to be able to change the boot kernel. But once that's done, everything else is software on the hard drive, and the hard drive is relatively easy to fix/replace if you botch it up.

If you ever get nervous about "patched" system software, you can always allow it to update to regular Tivo software.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 10-24-2007 at 02:13 PM.

None of the updates so far have done anything to break s3tots (been going strong for almost a year now). For a longer track record, take a look at other tools such as hdemux, tytompg, which were around since 2004. No update actively broke these tools. There was one update in 6.x code that changed some assumptions about timestamps in TY headers. It was easy to update tytompg to address this. (Tytool broke at that point, simply because it hasn't been maintained).

As far as system software goes, with a little brain power one has so far been able to accept OS upgrades while preserving ones modifications. There are threads around that show how that's worked out. In summary there hasn't been an active countermeasure in that area either, but once in a while a few extra steps are required (such as extra changes to installSw.itcl).

I'd really like to buy a HD tivo and get this going (that is, the ability to actually archive shows, not just have them tenuously stored on a volatile, defective-by-design, closed, non-redundant system) but I don't want to invest the time and money if tivo will just break it next month...

comments ?
    Note that the .tivo file format encryption has been defeated for some time now as well, and 9.2 doesn't seem to do anything to harm this. See http://tivodecode.sourceforge.net/ If you don't mind the extra encryption&decryption steps involved (they slow transfers down certainly), you may be OK with just that solution.

Ok, I am sorry to beat this to death, but now I am really confused ... about 6-7 months ago I asked this question:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=53492

(see third post in the thread - "what does this get me?")

And I was told that full-res, HD, non-DRM extraction from an S3/HD unit was not yet possible.

But you are saying that it has been around for over a year ... so either the answer I got in that thread was wrong, and full-HD, non-DRM extraction _was_ possible in early 2007

OR, s3tots is not what I think it is ...

I thought that the s3/HD encryption was different than previous models ?

The bottom line is, I want to offload (without DRM) full-res, HD copies of protected, premium cable TV channels (HDNet, MHD, HBO, etc.) ... am I understanding that that is possible now with an S3 or an HD tivo ?

I was told that full-res, HD, non-DRM extraction from an S3/HD unit was not yet possible.
    So the answer you got was that there were no publicly released solutions, which strictly speaking was correct at the time. s3tots already existed at that point, but wasn't public.

It's a lot tivo CSRs claiming esata drive expansion wasn't possible until yesterday
    But you are saying that it has been around for over a year ... so either the answer I got in that thread was wrong, and full-HD, non-DRM extraction _was_ possible in early 2007
    The answer you got was misleading, as it was possible since Feb. 07.

OR, s3tots is not what I think it is ...

I thought that the s3/HD encryption was different than previous models ?
    s3tots works as advertised, and does what you're interested in I believe. Note that s3tots is NOT involved in any decryption. The decryption defeat that s1/s2 tools relied upon is effectively the same for the s3. Infact the tivoapp patch for 9.1 is the same for the s2 and s3 models.

The TY file format for s3s is new/incompatible from s1/s2' see my new development thread for an overview of that.
    The bottom line is, I want to offload (without DRM) full-res, HD copies of protected, premium cable TV channels (HDNet, MHD, HBO, etc.) ... am I understanding that that is possible now with an S3 or an HD tivo ?
    Yes, s3tots works with both s3 and HD models, and works on content that is flagged copy protected (just not unbox). Again I should clarify: s3tots is not defeating any protection. It is simply working on your already unprotected content. Any defeat is via prom mod & tivoapp patching as with older tivo models.

Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    So the answer you got was that there were no publicly released solutions, which strictly speaking was correct at the time. s3tots already existed at that point, but wasn't public.
    The answer you got was misleading, as it was possible since Feb. 07.
    I wouldn't say misleading, there seems to be very very few folks who had your expertise and knowledge of what needed to be done with the S3 recordings.

Seeing as I was one of the respondents in that thread, in my own defense I certainly wasn't aware of your great progress on decrypting the S3 transport streams at the time that was written.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    I wouldn't say misleading, there seems to be very very few folks who had your expertise and knowledge of what needed to be done with the S3 recordings.
    Generally speaking I think it's misleading to claim to authoritatively know what hasn't/can't be done on a topic without being authoritative. That being said, it happens all the time, (see tivocommunity for daily examples , so don't worry about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    Seeing as I was one of the respondents in that thread, in my own defense I certainly wasn't aware of your great progress on decrypting the S3 transport streams at the time that was written.
    Thanks, I did figure out the new container format and the differences were hardly trivial. But I didn't have anything to do with decrypting. Someone else deserves credit for any decrypting (the tivoapp changes).

FYI - TyTools works great for extracting files from an S3 Tivo without the previous limitations on file sizes for HD content as was previously experienced with the HDTivo. I believe there used to be a maximum number of FSIDs TyTools could extract before it quit. This does not to appear to be an issue with the S3 Tivos since I've been able to extract movies exceeding 25GB with no problem. However, FSIDs used to be limited to 512MB, IIRC. I've had FSIDs from an S3 Tivo be well over 1.5GB and there doesn't seem to be a consistent size for them anymore.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!