Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: s3tots: Convert series 3 TY/TY+/TMF to mpeg2 transport stream format

i've split off the discussion about the ethics/rights/wrongs/etc. of the extraction into this thread in the general discussions forum.

please keep this thread on the topic of s3tots in specific.

ronny

I am confused about what value-added s3tots brings to the party. With the new TivoToGo and Tivo Desktop 2.5.1 we can transfer non-copy-protected HD programs to our PCs and run them in WMP or Media Player Classic or edit them in VideoReDo and convert them etc. etc.

What's this do that's special-or-necessary?
    Philips Standalone v3.01 w/2-80G drives and Tivonet.

Quote Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
    It works for unencrypted video. TTG transfers adds extra DRM.

Hmmm, so if you have a hacked S3 w/direct access to .ty files, s3tots will process anything/everything including those files w/copy-protection?

OK I get it. I guess it doesn't help me then since I only have OTA (no copy-protected programs) anyway. Thanks.

Oh, and my S3 isn't hacked either!

Hmmm, so if you have a hacked S3 w/direct access to .ty files, s3tots will process anything/everything including those files w/copy-protection?
    Yes, everything but unbox videos.
    OK I get it. I guess it doesn't help me then since I only have OTA (no copy-protected programs) anyway. Thanks.

Oh, and my S3 isn't hacked either!
    If you only care about OTA, and you're interested in extracting to a PC, you might as well just go with a PC tuner card and skip the tivo subscription costs IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    Yes, everything but unbox videos.
    If you only care about OTA, and you're interested in extracting to a PC, you might as well just go with a PC tuner card and skip the tivo subscription costs IMO.
    The hdhomerun is pretty nice for that.

I am confused about what value-added s3tots brings to the party. With the new TivoToGo and Tivo Desktop 2.5.1 we can transfer non-copy-protected HD programs to our PCs and run them in WMP or Media Player Classic or edit them in VideoReDo and convert them etc. etc.

I hate to be such a bloody newb, but it seems to me that the copy protected content flag in "tivotogo" should be easily removed in the tivotogo program to allow these "copy protected" programs to be downloaded to our computers. Has anyone done this, or am I missing something very basic here?

Quote Originally Posted by buckster View Post
    I hate to be such a bloody newb, but it seems to me that the copy protected content flag in "tivotogo" should be easily removed in the tivotogo program to allow these "copy protected" programs to be downloaded to our computers. Has anyone done this, or am I missing something very basic here?
    I believe the restriction is implemented on the tivo side, not the PC side. The tivo won't send a recording if copy protection prevents it.

If you connect to https://<tivo-ip>/nowplaying/index.html, you'll see that the content is flagged protected by the tivo itself. It's not a flag that the PC application should be adding.
    I believe you can see the flags in the CopyProtectionInfo object associated with the FSID (alternatively the xml produced by mfs_ftp). But I haven't looked into that.

On hacked systems, it would be easy enough to try stripping the CopyProtectionInfo objects from a recording to see if that alone clears the flag.

If you connect to https://<tivo-ip>/nowplaying/index.html, you'll see that the content is flagged protected by the tivo itself. It's not a flag that the PC application should be adding.
    I believe you can see the flags in the CopyProtectionInfo object associated with the FSID (alternatively the xml produced by mfs_ftp). But I haven't looked into that.

On hacked systems, it would be easy enough to try stripping the CopyProtectionInfo objects from a recording to see if that alone clears the flag.
    Sigh - until there is a kernal hack, I won't be doing this. Removing the eprom gives me the willies.

Sigh - until there is a kernal hack, I won't be doing this. Removing the eprom gives me the willies.
    I'll be surprised if anyone publishes a software-only exploit.
    Looks like the system has implemented good enough security to keep out most users.

If you only care about OTA, and you're interested in extracting to a PC, you might as well just go with a PC tuner card and skip the tivo...
    Well, I have all those too! (a couple of tuner cards and HDHomeRun).

But the Tivo S3 beats 'em all for simple convenience and reliability. Glad to pay the $7 bucks a month for it!

Removing the eprom gives me the willies.
    I am an ace with the solder-sucker and iron, but have no interest to rip-open my S3! At least not until the thrill is gone (and the warranty expires). It ain't broke, so I'm not gonna try to fix it!

Should I be concerned about the following warning? The ts seems fine; opened up in VideoRedo (although has that strange color band on the right). Edited the commercials, saved the mpeg. Plays in Media Player Classic fine (no band) but the audio is a bit out of sync...
    J:\Movies>s3tots -i h:\TyProjects\AFC_Divisional.ty -o j:\Movies\AFC_Divisional.ts
    s3tots: Copyright (c) 2004-2007 B.C. <bcc24x7@gmail.com>
    Version 1.0, Source is h:\TyProjects\AFC_Divisional.ty, dest is j:\Movies\AFC_Divisional.ts
    TY set video,audio pid: 800,801. Audio is AC3
    Warning: Timer wrapped or warped backwards, packet 60858029, stream 800
    32520922064 transport stream bytes
    Recording elapsed time: 14400 seconds Rate: 17.23 Mbps
    Any way to fix it? Do I need to? Think I'm going to transcode it for DVD so I'm pretty sure I can sync it up in TMPGEnc.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Should I be concerned about the following warning? Warning: Timer wrapped or warped backwards, packet 60858029, stream 800
    The ts seems fine; opened up in VideoRedo (although has that strange color band on the right). Edited the commercials, saved the mpeg. Plays in Media Player Classic fine (no band) but the audio is a bit out of sync...
    Well that error may mean that the broadcaster reset their clock, or it might mean that there is a transmission error in your recording, or it may simply be the timestamp wrapping around harmlessly. I would review the recording at the time of the error to see if it plays smoothly across that point. TS stream packets are 188 bytes, so packet 60858029 is 60858029*188=11441309452 bytes. (11441309452/32520922064)*14400=5066 seconds aprox=1hr,24min,26sec. aprox. You can analyze the transport stream timestamps with something like vobedit to see if the PCR is in fact being warped or is wrapping.

I could fix the error reporting so that it distinguishes between warping & wrapping since the later is harmless (for most players).

Now, it doesn't make sense that you're having any audio sync issues, I assume you have those right from the beginning of the recording?
    It may be that your editing with videoredo is introducing your sync problems. Is the a/v in sync if you play the transport stream directly (such as with powerdvd)?