Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: s3tots: Convert series 3 TY/TY+/TMF to mpeg2 transport stream format

Quote Originally Posted by laserfan View Post
    Well, I have all those too! (a couple of tuner cards and HDHomeRun).

But the Tivo S3 beats 'em all for simple convenience and reliability. Glad to pay the $7 bucks a month for it!
    I'd agree if you're using your PC for recording but if you have a dedicated HTPC to use as a DVR then the convenience factor is a dead heat, IMHO. I've got two S3 Tivos (one hacked and one virgin) in addition to my six ATSC tuner HTPC and they're all going through my HDMI switcher to my surround syetem and HDTV. I have my Harmony 880 remote set up to control everything, including various apps on the HTPC using EventGhost and a USB-UIRT IR receiver. Operating a program such as PowerDVD or BeyondTV is no different than using the S3 Tivos.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

new version - 1.1

The new version of s3tots clarifies the recently mentioned warning about PCRs, fixes a problem in auto-detection of PIDs from TY streams, and cleans up visual studio compilation.

Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    You can analyze the transport stream timestamps with something like vobedit
    Scratch that, I was thinking program stream not transport stream for a moment.
    Anyways, I've updated s3tots so that the error reporting distinguishes between a wrapped timer and one that has inexplicably has moved backwards. For a wrapped timer you'll see for example
    Code:
    Warning: Timer wrapped, packet 78145, stream 800
    If this is what you see, you can safely ignore it (unless you use a buggy player such as vlc which can't handle the wrap).

Given that you only saw 1 warning, and your recording is long (4 hours) this is the most likely case.

Anyways, I've updated s3tots so that the error reporting distinguishes between a wrapped timer and one that has inexplicably has moved backwards.<snip>
    Given that you only saw 1 warning, and your recording is long (4 hours) this is the most likely case.
    Thanks bcc, next time at least I'll know up front. Turns out it was harmless wrapping; the sync turned out to be a non-issue as well. I edited in VideoRedo, saved a transport stream and fed that to HDTV2DVD (which I know is just a front-end to ffmpeg). Anyway, transcoded to a Dual Layer DVD and although there was some expected quality loss, it still looks pretty good. Thanks again bcc, 's3tots' is a great utility.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Hey bcc, have another one for you. Using the 1.1 version of s3tots, I got the following error message.
    Code:
    H:\TyProjects>s3tots -i AFC_Championship.ty
    s3tots: Copyright (c) 2004-2007 B.C. <bcc24x7@gmail.com>
    Version 1.1, Source is AFC_Championship.ty, dest is AFC_Championship.ts
    TY set video,audio pid: 800,801.  Audio is AC3
    Warning: Timer wrapped, packet 45655, stream 800
    idx: 10a94 Len remain: f3d0
    Assertion failed: FALSE, file s3tots.c, line 228

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.
    FWIW, I got the same message using 1.0 version as well. It writes over 90% of the file (which is all I need anyway) and the .ts plays fine. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    idx: 10a94 Len remain: f3d0
    Assertion failed: FALSE, file s3tots.c, line 228
    So your recording has some garbaged data at this point. I've never seen this, so I wasn't sure which way to code recovery (1. linear search for next transport stream packet, 2. assume next transport stream packet will be OK after 188 bytes, or 3. assume rest of chunk is garbage).

You could send in the problem chunk and then I'd know which recovery method is best. Otherwise I'll just do the most conservative thing, #3, in the next release. On the other hand, that f3d0 length field suggests that #2 would work better.

I wonder what your tivo does when you try to play across this error point.

So your recording has some garbaged data at this point. I've never seen this, so I wasn't sure which way to code recovery (1. linear search for next transport stream packet, 2. assume next transport stream packet will be OK after 188 bytes, or 3. assume rest of chunk is garbage).

You could send in the problem chunk and then I'd know which recovery method is best. Otherwise I'll just do the most conservative thing, #3, in the next release. On the other hand, that f3d0 length field suggests that #2 would work better.

I wonder what your tivo does when you try to play across this error point.
    Couple of quick questions:
    How do I calculate the location of the bad chunk (in H:M:S) from the error message?
    How do I extract the offending chunk?

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    How do I calculate the location of the bad chunk (in H:M:S) from the error message?
    How do I extract the offending chunk?
    You would estimate the chunk number based upon the file size of your .ts file. <ts file size in bytes>/131072=# of valid chunks.
    Assuming you're working with a .ty file instead of .tmf you can use the -s and -n arguments to s3tots to home in on exactly which chunk is causing a problem.
    Then, tychopper or dd to extract the sample.

In anticipation, I've already coded solution #2 mentioned above, if you'd rather just test drive a possible fix.

parameter error

Hey bcc,

Great program!

I'm having a little problem, though. I want s3tots to automatically translate .ty files which show up in the appropriate directory, so I wrote a couple of bash scripts to handle the processing. The problem is, s3tots complains about the filenames I use, I think almost surely because they have spaces in them. I'm running Debian Etch under Linux kernel 2.6.18-5-amd64. I tried this to replace the spaces with "\ ":

Code:
    videofilein=$(echo $1 | sed 's/.\///' | sed 's/ /\ /')
    videofileout=$(echo $1 | sed 's/.\///' | sed 's/ - .ty//' | sed s'/.ty//' | sed 's/ /\ /')
    videofileout=$videofileout.ts

sourcedir=/RAID/Server-Main/Movies/TiVo_HD/
    targetdir=/RAID/Recordings/

s3tots -i $sourcedir$videofilein  -o $targetdir$videofileout
    and also this to enclose the whole string in quotes:

Code:
    videofilein=$(echo $1 | sed 's/.\///')
    videofileout=$(echo $1 | sed 's/.\///' | sed 's/ - .ty//' | sed s'/.ty//')
    videofileout=$videofileout.ts\"

sourcedir=\"/RAID/Server-Main/Movies/TiVo_HD/
    targetdir=\"/RAID/Recordings/

s3tots -i $sourcedir$videofilein  -o $targetdir$videofileout
    The command line is passed to the routine by find, so it is a fully qualified string, and I checked that the variables have the right form. How can I get s3tots to react properly to the filenames, all of which have spaces in them? It works fine from the Linux prompt, of course by enclosing the names in quotes.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    It works fine from the Linux prompt, of course by enclosing the names in quotes.
    I don't understand what you're asking; if it works from the command line what more are you expecting s3tots to do? Works for me:
    Code:
    % s3tots 'a b c.ty'
    s3tots: Copyright (c) 2004-2008 B.C. <bcc24x7@gmail.com>
    Version 1.2, Source is a b c.ty, dest is a b c.ts
    TY set video,audio pid: 90,91.  Audio is AC3
    17213468 transport stream bytes
    Recording elapsed time: 47 seconds Rate: 2.72 Mbps

bash

It doesn't work from the script, which is what I want to handle the transcoding. I tried replacing " " with "\ " and also placing quotes around the entire string as I demonstrated above, but neither works. I confirmed the script works fine if the filenames have no spaces in them, but every file extracted from the TiVo has spaces in the filename.

It doesn't work from the script, which is what I want to handle the transcoding. I tried replacing " " with "\ " and also placing quotes around the entire string as I demonstrated above, but neither works. I confirmed the script works fine if the filenames have no spaces in them, but every file extracted from the TiVo has spaces in the filename.
    This is a shell issue, not an application issue.

Put quotes around the outside of the variable expansion if there are spaces or other special characters inside the variable value.

For example,
    Code:
    % x="a b c"
    % y="d e f"
    % s3tots -i "$in" -o "$out"
    s3tots: Copyright (c) 2004-2007 B.C. <bcc24x7@gmail.com>
    Version 0.6, Source is a b c, dest is x y z

Thanks!

Thanks, I just found that out. That's counter-intuitive. I would have thought the quotes force everything inside them to be taken as a literal, rather than forcing the contents of the variables inside the quotes to be taken as a literal. In any case, it's working!

Thanks, I just found that out. That's counter-intuitive. I would have thought the quotes force everything inside them to be taken as a literal, rather than forcing the contents of the variables inside the quotes to be taken as a literal. In any case, it's working!
    Read up on the difference between single and double quotes.

Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    I'd agree if you're using your PC for recording but if you have a dedicated HTPC to use as a DVR then the convenience factor is a dead heat, IMHO. I've got two S3 Tivos (one hacked and one virgin) in addition to my six ATSC tuner HTPC and they're all going through my HDMI switcher to my surround syetem and HDTV.
    I disagree quite strongly. First of all, the last thing I would ever want to do is record anything for my theater from an ATSC tuner, with the exception of PBS. The networks had very little other than garbage on them when I was born (50 years ago), and they've gotten rather steadily worse over time.

Secondly, the Tivo has a host of important features which to the best of my knowledge are missing or poorly implemented in every other platform. The three biggies are wishlists, suggestions, and hyperfine combination search criteria. The entire list is quite long.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    Operating a program such as PowerDVD or BeyondTV is no different than using the S3 Tivos.
    Oh, yes it is. I cannot speak very much to Beyond TV, but PowerDVD certainly does not let me copy between any DVR and the PC from any DVR on the network. It won't show me program information like the actors, director, year, or program synopsis on the screen while selecting videos. I also have yet to find either a motherboard or video card which works well with either of my HD sets. Most won't work at all at 1080i (let alone 1080p), and those which I have tried that do look terrible at 1080i. I have also run into significant performance issues with PowerDVD, Nero Showtime, and every other application I've tried.

Beyond TV looks like it has some interesting features; especially its Beyond TV Link and SmartSkip (if it works well) features, but the fact it runs on Windows pretty much eliminates it at the outset. Not only that, but I am skeptical CableLabs will ever certify Beyond TV for use with CableCards as long as SmartSkip and Beyond TV Link are functional. As for SDV support, I'm pretty sure you can just forget about it entirely.

I'm also not sure what analogs to TiVoWebPlus, TyTool, MFS_FTP, etc. are available for Beyond TV. I do however look forward to the day TiVo enables MPEG-4 support on the S3 class units, which of course is supported by Beyond TV.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 03-10-2008 at 02:01 AM.