Thread: Which Tivo is best for me?

Which Tivo is best for me?

I am possibly going to have to buy a new Tivo unless I can get my old one fixed (previously posted). Anyway, I have DirectTV HD. Should I go with a DTivo HD box (which one?) or just stick with a regular Tivo box? What advantages do DTivo's give you? Maybe I missed a thread on which Tivo units are the best, but i couldn't find one. I didn't realize that there was so much going on with Tivo until I checked this site for technical help yesterday. Now, I am intrigued to learn, but very confused! Thanks for any help to anyone who responds.

Right now your best bet for HD with DirecTV would be to get one of the new HR20's. The HR10-250 HDTivo will eventually stop working for receiving HD channels with DirecTV as they will eventually switch all existing mpeg2 HD channels over to mpeg4. The HDTivo will still work for standard definition channel reception from the satellites as well as OTA recption of local HD channels. It will not get any of the new HD channels DTV is offering, but the HR20 will.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    Right now your best bet for HD with DirecTV would be to get one of the new HR20's. The HR10-250 HDTivo will eventually stop working for receiving HD channels with DirecTV as they will eventually switch all existing mpeg2 HD channels over to mpeg4. The HDTivo will still work for standard definition channel reception from the satellites as well as OTA recption of local HD channels. It will not get any of the new HD channels DTV is offering, but the HR20 will.
    So, it would be better to buy the HR20 outright instead of taking one of DTV's boxes and paying monthly through them? Thanks for the info!

I didn't say it would be better to buy the HR20 outright. If you do it will cost you about $799 for the privilege vs. getting one to lease for about $99 or even free. You'll pay the same monthly fees regardless of whether you own or lease. If you own the HR20 and it dies then you're SOL unless DTV is nice and is willing to replace it under warranty. Chances are they'll swap it for a refurbed unit and lock you into another 2-year commitment. Of course, anytime you get a receiver or DVR replaced you start the clock from scratch with a new commitment.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I went to best buy yesterday and they had the HR20 on sale for $299. However, if I go with the Dish version, is there a way to still use Tivo with it? From what the sales guy said, Direct TV does not have a box that will work with Tivo. If I get a straight Tivo box, then I will not be able to get the dual tuner to work. Is that correct? I don't want to sacrifice Tivo! Thanks for your help and patience with my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by stouty1 View Post
    I went to best buy yesterday and they had the HR20 on sale for $299. However, if I go with the Dish version, is there a way to still use Tivo with it? From what the sales guy said, Direct TV does not have a box that will work with Tivo. If I get a straight Tivo box, then I will not be able to get the dual tuner to work. Is that correct? I don't want to sacrifice Tivo! Thanks for your help and patience with my ignorance.
    Read the fine print. You're paying $299 for the privilege of leasing the HR20 and not owning it. It's like the down payment you make when leasing an automobile. You'll get a better deal by talking to a DirecTV CSR. You can use standalone Tivos with any satellite box, as long as it has the remote codes to change the channels on the box, but you'll only be able to record the output from the box in standard definition (i.e., 720x480 resolution).

DirecTV no longer markets Tivos for use on their system but the older boxes are still available on ebay or other sources. You can use a dual tuner Tivo but you need two set-top boxes to use both tuners. I believe the dual tuner model has one analog tuner and one digital tuner, IIRC, so I'm not exactly sure how you'd go about setting it up. You should check the Tivo website or the Tivo Community Forums for more info on the dual tuner Tivo.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    I believe the dual tuner model has one analog tuner and one digital tuner, IIRC, so I'm not exactly sure how you'd go about setting it up.
    The SADT doesn't have a digital tuner. It has an RF input (internally split to feed two tuners) and one AV composite/s-video input with an IR blaster. It can only control one external box, so it is effectively a single tuner box in the scenario discussed here.