Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: HR10-250 Rebooting randomly over last 2 Weeks

Allonon, mine definitely rebooted Monday night, but I haven't see it since then. I have an SP for 3 shows on CBS for Tuesday, so I can say at least one of my tuners was on CBS during primetime. <fingers-crossed>

Quote Originally Posted by bluemodena View Post
    I decided to let my HDVR2 call in first, and make all my mistake on the bonus room tivo, instead of my main tivo downstairs (HR10-250). I ran the script posted a few pages back to create hard links to the files in /var/packages. Anyway, I just let the script run and came back later. When I go into the Tivo phone settings, it says last call "failed while loading data". Is this normal? BTW, I still have upgradesoftware=false set.

Since it failed, not knowing what happened, I let it dial in a second time. It failed the same way, but what was interesting is some of the hard links are different.
    Code:
    swsystem-105665525-2.slice.bnd
    swsystem-105665525-2.slice.bnd:SHA=0xDD2D4D34E5AEFFB212640DA7B38C8DA8DADD320F
    utils-105664588-2.slice.gz
    it seems that this file "swsystem-105665525-2.slice.bnd" is not completely downloaded or corrupt as it's not being converted to the ".gz" format when complete.

Maybe try a different dial in number? The part that sucks is all the slices have to be downloaded again and If I remember correctly, you're looking at close to 2 hours of phone time. Best to try it overnight unless you're trying to grab the slices out of /var/packages.

Quote Originally Posted by labbie48 View Post
    it seems that this file "swsystem-105665525-2.slice.bnd" is not completely downloaded or corrupt as it's not being converted to the ".gz" format when complete.
    It's still in bundled form because it's encrypted. You'll have to decrypt it before it's good for anything.

Just to add a datapoint, I'm running 6.3c and I've had three reboots, one on HDNetMovies early Sunday, one on Fox OTA Sunday night and another on ESPNHD last night. Don't watch CBS very often--but I'm doing an upgrade to 6.3e tonight. Gotta get that in before the Auburn-Georgia game tomorrow.

FWIW, I also have to wonder if the bug is due to the DST change. My DTivo was solid as a rock right up until Sunday, which was the day of the time change.

Quote Originally Posted by alfonzotan View Post
    FWIW, I also have to wonder if the bug is due to the DST change. My DTivo was solid as a rock right up until Sunday, which was the day of the time change.
    I was thinking about that as well.....except mine started having troubles after the "normal" DST change WOULD HAVE been........and stopped right after I got 6.3e (about 18 hours before the actual DST change). Like yours, mine was flawless prior to that Sunday (10-28)

Hard to say either way........but it has been almost a week with ZERO reboots so whatever it was, I am just glad it is fixed!!!

so, has anyone with < 6.3e had any cbs reboots since sunday?

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by ronnythunder View Post
    so, has anyone with < 6.3e had any cbs reboots since sunday?

ronny
    I still have not got around to getting my 6.3d to friend phone line yet. I thought I would check to see if by chance the DST had any effect, so I did set it to CBS Wednesday and had reboots as follows.

11-7-2007 11:32 pm
    11-8-2007 12:21 pm, 12:48 pm, 1:37 pm
    11-9-2007 1:00 am, 2:17 pm, 3:31 pm
    (2) UltimateTV - upgraded w/160GB
    (1) HR10-250 2TB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 620GB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 300GB 6.4a
    (3) HR21 (2) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
    RandC

Quote Originally Posted by RandC View Post
    I still have not got around to getting my 6.3d to friend phone line yet. I thought I would check to see if by chance the DST had any effect, so I did set it to CBS Wednesday and had reboots as follows.

11-7-2007 11:32 pm
    11-8-2007 12:21 pm, 12:48 pm, 1:37 pm
    11-9-2007 1:00 am, 2:17 pm, 3:31 pm
    interesting. that seems to reek of the same problem. perhaps it wasn't dst related after all?

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by allonon View Post
    Interestingly enough, my HR10 stopped rebooting spontaneously. I've beeen running since Sunday with only the planned reboots at night. Still running 6.3d and recording lots of shows off CBS
    Were you recording CBS HD though? I've only had problems on CBS with HD recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    Were you recording CBS HD though? I've only had problems on CBS with HD recordings.
    I don't have any HD channels coming thru my box yet (haven't upgraded my TV or DTV service/sat yet) so I know it isn't that.....though every time it was on CBS (SD)....BOOM massive reboots.

Quote Originally Posted by Rottluver View Post
    I don't have any HD channels coming thru my box yet (haven't upgraded my TV or DTV service/sat yet) so I know it isn't that.....though every time it was on CBS (SD)....BOOM massive reboots.
    I found the SD reboots quite interesting. I figured that it had something to with the HD signal but when people were posting that SD and national HD sat feed were rebooting then it is something CBS is doing from the start.
    (2) UltimateTV - upgraded w/160GB
    (1) HR10-250 2TB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 620GB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 300GB 6.4a
    (3) HR21 (2) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
    RandC

Quote Originally Posted by RandC View Post
    I found the SD reboots quite interesting. I figured that it had something to with the HD signal but when people were posting that SD and national HD sat feed were rebooting then it is something CBS is doing from the start.
    One thing I read before mine fixed was someone noticed the troubles would happen at times when the "Press Thumbs Up To Record" thing was flashing on their screen. I didn't pay that close attention but I did see for the first few days after the upgrade to 6.3e that whenever that thing showed on my screen for CBS, the Tivo, slowed, almost froze and then started working properly (lasted all of about 5-10 seconds). It has stopped doing that now, but it made me wonder......

FYI - About a year ago our local TV station installed a fix for their hd signal processing. My VOOM receiver died every time the channel was selected. I contacted the TV chief engineer who stated that a required protocol fix was intstalled and that I should upgrade my box to the latest level. About 5 weeks later, the problem went away. The engineer stated that yet another fix was installed.

Hopefully this is what happened with CBS.

35 Why does this happen?

Is it possible that CBS is causing the reboot problem intentionally? Probably not, since the HR-20/21 don't seem to be suffering the same problem.

Then the question becomes, how is it that the broadcast stations have control over DVRs? Can anyone explaine how they can force DVRs to malfunction?

I watched HD content all morning long today, all from Now Playing Content. Just as soon as I went to live TV, chose my local OTA CBS channel, literally within 60 seconds of going from guide to viewing my HR10-250 version 6.3d, it rebooted. around 12:35PM CST. It has also rebooted in the past few weeks while on other live channels, but only if I was actually watching that channel - if I am watching Now Playing it has yet to reboot once. So the solution is - don't watch live anything?