Thread: Anyone have a way to convert ty to PSP yet?

Anyone have a way to convert ty to PSP yet?

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to add PSP file support to some of our favourite apps. There is a program called PSP Video 9 that can convert from MPEG to PSP it would be great to be able to convert directly to PSP format in tools like TyTool or eTivo.

Quote Originally Posted by wayner
    It will be interesting to see how long it takes to add PSP file support to some of our favourite apps. There is a program called PSP Video 9 that can convert from MPEG to PSP it would be great to be able to convert directly to PSP format in tools like TyTool or eTivo.
    Does PSP Video 9 use a directshow codec to read the mpeg2? If so install the tyshow codec and see if PSP Video 9 will use it to read the mpeg2 for translation to PSP. Just make sure it doesn't try 2 pass encoding.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by malfunct
    Does PSP Video 9 use a directshow codec to read the mpeg2? If so install the tyshow codec and see if PSP Video 9 will use it to read the mpeg2 for translation to PSP. Just make sure it doesn't try 2 pass encoding.
    That doesn't seem to work but it appears that the PSP video files are MPEG-4 files. Perhaps one could use eTivo, setting it up to use the MPEG-4 codec. Then the problem would be whether the Microsoft MPEG-4 codec used by WME is compatible with the Sony MPEG-4 codec used by the PSP.

I don't own a PSP yet, I was just wondering how easy it will be to get content from a TiVo to a PSP as I am considering putchasing one.

There are folks doing this on TivoCommunity, presumably using Tivo2Go files.
    Stuart

Newbies - see if your questions are answered here Experts - can you add to the knowledge stored here? Developers - are your hacks listed here?

Quote Originally Posted by sanderton
    There are folks doing this on TivoCommunity, presumably using Tivo2Go files.
    Well, if they get it working, someone can write an addin that will work with EtiVo to automate the process.
    EtiVo - PC based archiving and catalog service over TiVo - http://prish.com/etivo
    EtiVo now works on non-hacked TiVos too!!
    Join the EtiVo forums in http://active.prish.com/prishforum

PSP Video 9 works fine for me. I use tytools r18 to pull video off the Tivo, demux to mpg format, use PSP Video 9 to convert to MP4 for the PSP. It's a few steps and takes a while, but works fine. (Note that iPSP -- cool program for the PSP - won't convert the mpg files from the Tivo for some reason.) I get all my shows queued up on Sunday night and copy to the PSP Monday morning before I fly out for work for the week so I have my shows to watch while I'm gone.

TiVo2Go to mpeg or avi?

I tried to use Dr. Divx to convert my TiVo2Go files to avi but I can't get it to work. Anyone else have any luck? I am trying to get my TiVo2Go files on my PSP.

Sony's Image Converter 2 will do it

I tried Sony's Image Converter 2, and it will convert a .ty file directly into a PSP file in 1 step. You just have to have the .ty filter installed, which you already do if you can view a .ty in WMP. Apparently, the Sony program uses that filter.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. It appeared to convert it (showed a good preview as it was working on it), but the result had zero time length.
    Last edited by blueman2; 04-01-2005 at 03:41 AM.

I do this in linux. PS Video 9 should be able to do it once you mux together a mpeg2 file. PS Video 9 uses ffmpeg for all the conversions. the things to know about psp video is the video can't be over 768 bitrate, and the audio has to be in aac format.

here is the ffmpeg command line I use:

ffmpeg -y -i INFILE -bitexact -f psp -s 320x240 -r 29.97 -b 768 -acodec aac -ac 2 -ar 24000 -ab 32 M4V10005.MP4

I am able to convert files for my psp.

I use tystudio 0.5 and I extract to DVD / 48000 (dvd).
    I then use 3GP and convert the .mpg to a .mp4 and a .thm

Works fine but the audio is SO LOW!
    Working on raising the volume but trying to open my .mpg in virtualdub errors w/ no video frames found in MPEG file. Currently searching web for an answer.

Edit:
    Using Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by microtrash

Why do you use TyStudio rather than TyTool?

Hehe laziness I guess, I first set up the video extraction like 2 some odd years ago and havent touched it since then

Audio/Video sync problems

Is anybody else having audio/video sync problems in converting .ty to mp4? I've tried every program out there and the audio/video just doesnt seem to sync properly.

Quote Originally Posted by microtrash View Post

Works fine but the audio is SO LOW!
    Working on raising the volume but trying to open my .mpg in virtualdub errors w/ no video frames found in MPEG file. Currently searching web for an answer.

Edit:
    Using Windows XP
    you just have to turn off the AVLS audio protection in the psp settings.... but be carefull dont blow your psp speakers...