Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing fixsub via PC

17 installing fixsub via PC

Hello,
    Yep first post here, Have to start somewhere

Picked up a hughes gxcebot. I installed 25xtreme no problems.
    Now my problem is loading fixsub. I am trying this via the PC. I did a full boot with xtreme in the tivo. Getting all locals,ppv,etc via emu. Everything seems to be running smooth. so I start the next step-fixsub.
    I am trying to load this via the PC just like xtreme.
    Here are the steps I followed from a c-n-p.

1. Copy fixup02c.tcl to floppy disk and rename to "fixsub.tcl"
    2. connect tivo drive to your computer as a secondary master
    3. boot computer using 25xtreme boot CD, hit enter at boot prompt then type root at next prompt and hit enter
    4. place floppy in drive and type "mkdir /mnt/dosfloppy"
    5. type "mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/dosfloppy"
    6. type "mount /dev/hdc4 /mnt"
    7. type "cd /mnt/dosfloppy"
    8. type "cp fixsub.tcl /mnt/tvlib"
    9. type "cd"
    10. type "cd /mnt/tvlib
    11. type "edit fixsub.tcl" then goto this part:
    "# dbobj $sobj set Complete 1"
    And change to this:
    "dbobj $sobj set complete 7"
    then hit CRTL K, X (TO SAVE)
    12. type "touch fixsub.tcl"
    13. type "chmod +x fixsub.tcl"
    14. type "cd"
    14b. type "touch /etc/SubTest
    15. type "umount /mnt/dosfloppy"
    16. type "umount /mnt
    17. CTRL-ALT-DEL, and shut down computer
    18. Put harddrive back in tivo and reassemble
    19. turn on tivo and force a call.
    20. You should have success and then see "5, Lifetime" under account status.

This install seemed to go smooth as well. but when I try to force a call it fails. Well the first call seems to go good( a house keeping setup call) then FAILED-LINE unavailable.

Do the above instructions seem fit?

Thanks
    bowtye

All you needed to do was step 14b from bash. If you still have problems after that, reinstall v2.5Xtreme and only do that one step.
    GL

superzap,
    could you explain more. Do you mean a bash prompr from when tivo is booting or during that fixsub process on the PC?

I still have not stepped into the bash process yet. I have a old 386 laptop with a 9 pin serial cable. I also have the correct cable for the hughes to laptop from a philips SA setup.
    thanks
    bowtye

Bash is when you connect a serial cable from your pc to the TiVo and use a terminal program to enter commands while the TiVo is running. http://tivo.samba.org/index.cgi?req=all#4.7

How to make a cable ===> http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showth...0972#post10972

My Hughes box does not have a serial port. Can step 14b be done by moving the A drive (dual drive system) to a PC ? If so, enter at "boot" then type root to get to /# ? Thanks for the help.

mini

The Hughes DTiVo has a serial port, it's a stereo mini connector labeled CNTRL OUT right above the IR port.

superzap-Thank you I found it. I don't have a cable with mini stero plug on one end and serial on the other. I have been reading posts for going on 2 weeks now and can't seem to get the "fix" working on my 25Xtreme upgrade. Can this be done via moving the A drive to my PC. I understand and wish to obey Surgeon's request regarding the "fix". If you prefer to PM me please do so as any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    mini

what partition and directory/file ......does the "bash 2.02" start in ? when you do have a bash prompt?

Originally posted by SP7128
    what partition and directory/file ......does the "bash 2.02" start in ? when you do have a bash prompt?
    For v2.5 bash is in root or bin directory, type in pwd to see, active partition is always 4 for v2.5 I believe.

Sorry I didnt post back from last night.

I pulled out a old 386/20 laptop and loaded term on it. I then tried to plug the serial able in and both ends were males. I had some female to LPT cables not being used so I chopped them and made female coupleing.
    Fired up the term proogy and rebooted tivo and the bash prompt popped up.
    I still have some more reading on this but for a newbie step I first tired the 14b step
    "touch /etc/subtest" and hit enter

Nothing happened just another bash prompt.
    I then tried "RZ"

This did some command and I got some code displayed and pretty muched locked me out. The code was changing on the same line.

Its was then late so I called it quits.
    Any clues how to start. I figure I dont have to modify the fixsub script since that is done I am just trying to execute that proggy...Right????

Is this a one time deal or each time I pwr up tivo??--from a hard pwr off--say unplugging it???

Thanks
    bowtye

bowtye you are oh-so-close............read your pm twice and then follow it!!!

superzap and SR7128,
    I did reply to your Pm's. Just wanted to say thanks in the open

Yes we must all pay attention to the details ,letters and all

bowtye

Now for the EMU issue. Yes I go down every 2 days or so. With a non tivo IRD I was up for 6 months.

Help!!

I have posted this question in another thread but thought it might be more appropriate here.

I have bash prompt on a T60 with 2.5, when I type commands, it responds with command not found. Do I have to install the commands somewhere along the line? Also, the mods I made to the T60 were in the tivodrive and tivodrivevar directories. So when I type touch /var/tmp/pppaddr I get command not found and the same with chattr.

I thought that once you get bash, you could communicate with the Tivo, this does not seem to be working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Danno

Those special commands like chattr are not in the standard DTiVo set of software. Surgeon has included the special commands in v2.5Xtreme, but you're not using that. If you want to install the special commands go here and here and download/install or just do as I suggested in the other thread, install the A drive back into your PC and use a boot CD or floppy.
    Last edited by superzap; 12-13-2001 at 02:20 PM.

Zap

Thanks, now it makes sense to me!!!!