Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Screwed up upgrade to 6.3e on HR10-250

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    59

    Screwed up upgrade to 6.3e on HR10-250

    I messed up royally. I did an in place upgrade from 6.3c to 6.3e, but evidently fat fingered dd'ing the kernel.

    All hacks, including tivoapp, were wiped. I pulled the drive and
    reset the bootpage, again spacing on the obvious fact that I messed
    up the kernel copy. I watch the next boot over the serial cable
    and watched all the hacks on 6.3c, including tivoapp, disappear.

    Since I was pretty much dead in the water, I downloaded a liveCD
    to try and fix my mistakes. Some progress was made, but the
    system is now in a reboot loop, claiming a shared library was not
    found. One hint might be that the system/platform is listed as
    unknown during the boot process, and I thought it was supposed
    to be 'Phoenix' for one of those.

    I choose the 7.2.2 kernel that came with the live CD, which may be
    my mistake.

    So hat in hand, I am here asking for help. Do to an odd series of
    mishaps, I need to burn CDs will all software and tools that I will need
    during the repair effort. So far I have:
    - Various hacked kernels
    - Jamie's backported usb drivers
    - Replacement tivoapp
    - The tivotools busybox collection

    What else might I need?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bergen County
    Posts
    1,307
    Not sure about your other problems without a serial output but I've done two in place upgrades to 6.3e and have used the 7.2.2-oth kernel without any problems.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - a cigar in one hand - a Martini in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a ride!

    1 HDVR2, 500 Gb, hacked, 6.3e
    1 R10 Prom Mod 500 Gb 6.3e
    1 HR20-100 Stock
    1 HR21-100 Stock

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    59
    I suspect it was a combination of issues. I was still trying to boot the 7.2.2 kernel
    against the 6.3c install, and getting the unknown system/platform errors, as well
    as a failure to load a number of libraries (no idea which ones, as the console output
    did not specify)

    Anyways, I reset the bootpage back to the 6.3e partition, reloaded a 3.1.5 kernel to
    both boot partitions and now it is back up and running.

    I don't want/need DHCP, so I guess the 3.1.5 kernel will suit me just fine. Thanks
    for the response.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •