Thread: Two Tivo, Two remotes, same room!!

flagmaster Guest

Two Tivo, Two remotes, same room!!

I just got my hands on a 2nd HR-10-250. I sub'ed it as a 2nd room tivo unit.
    Now I get a pool of 4 sat and 4 OTA tuners to record from. Only thing is, I want them both hooked up to my AV system via hdmi, so they are in the same room.

IS there a way to make one respond to only its remote control, cuz as of now, both remotes control both tivo's at the same time, and thats kind not what I want if possible.

What the procedure in on the tivo remote to change it "codes" and whats the procedure on the tivo to program it to respond to the 2nd unit codes.

Thanks much.

Tivo's own help site describes how to set up discrete codes for each Tivo unit.

Quote Originally Posted by flagmaster View Post
    I just got my hands on a 2nd HR-10-250. I sub'ed it as a 2nd room tivo unit.
    Now I get a pool of 4 sat and 4 OTA tuners to record from. Only thing is, I want them both hooked up to my AV system via hdmi, so they are in the same room.

IS there a way to make one respond to only its remote control, cuz as of now, both remotes control both tivo's at the same time, and thats kind not what I want if possible.

What the procedure in on the tivo remote to change it "codes" and whats the procedure on the tivo to program it to respond to the 2nd unit codes.

Thanks much.
    I had the same problem a couple years ago, I have 5 TiVo's in 1 room and of course they all work off 1 remote. Not good! I didn't know about the link in the quote below and honestly didn't do any searching on the issue. My solution was velcro.

I made some small velcro strips that cover the remote sensor on the TiVo's and when I want to change the channel on one I just undo it's velcro. When I want to switch to another TiVo I redo the Velcro on the one and undo it on the other.

I know, it sounds like a pain but I only watch football in the "TiVo Room" and I only want to have one remote. I've added an HR20 to the room so now I HAVE to have 2 remotes but the 2 don't co-mingle. Anyway, I just set each smaller TV to display the game I want to monitor and the larger main TV to display the game I want to watch and hear. Once I have all the TV's set to their game there's no need for the remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    Tivo's own help site describes how to set up discrete codes for each Tivo unit.
    Thanks for the link, I was planning on moving one of my SD TiVo's out to another room that has an HR10 in it and this will be helpful in that situation.
    7 RCA DVR80's Hacked (All with 250GB each)
    2 HR10-250's Hacked (Both with 400GB)
    2 HR20-100's Stock

flagmaster Guest
    Im not sure that link will work for me.
    They refer to some sort of switch? I don't thing I have a switch on my tivo or remote?

Look in the user's manual for the HR10-250. There are instructions for assigning discrete remote codesets to each Tivo if you have more than one in the same room (refer to page 115 of the manual). You can assign up to nine different codesets to the Tivo and remote. Here's the procedure:

1. Navigate to the system information screen of the Tivo you wish to program. Scroll down until you see the info about the remote codeset. It should say (0) Not set. Using the front panel controls for this prevents you from controlling other Tivos at the same time when using the remote. Place all other Tivos in standby or cover the IR receiver windows so they don't get programmed as well.

2. Point the remote away from the Tivo and then press the DirecTV and Pause buttons simultaneously until the red LED on the tip of the remote comes on solid. I find it best to point the remote into a pillow or something that won't allow the IR beam to bounce off the walls.

3. Aim the remote at the Tivo and press any button from 1 to 9.

4. Wait until the LED on the remote stops flashing. Then, press the right cursor arrow on the remote to set the code. The codeset indicator in the system information screen should change to the number you just assigned to it.

5. Repeat this process for all Tivos that need to be programmed. Make sure you don't assign the same code to more than one Tivo.

You'll still need to use separate remotes for each Tivo that has been programmed. I have a univeral remote with all nine codesets programmed into it so I don't have to keep switching remotes.

Note that using the "0" address will override any codesets you have assigned as it acts as the master codeset. Make sure you have assigned a code to every Tivo that's in the room or else the remote using the default codeset will controll all Tivos simultaneously.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    I I have 5 TiVo's in 1 room and of course they all work off 1 remote.
    Those Logitech "Harmony" programmable remotes know about Tivo discrete codes. You could set up individual settings for each Tivo on one remote. Disclaimer: The Harmony thingies are nice but tend to be a bit on the expensive site.

Those Logitech "Harmony" programmable remotes know about Tivo discrete codes. You could set up individual settings for each Tivo on one remote. Disclaimer: The Harmony thingies are nice but tend to be a bit on the expensive site.
    That's an idea, when I build my home theater I might do that. I'll have 3 or 4 flat panel TV's mounted to the wall and a 200" screen that will come down in front of them for the projector. When I go to that setup I'll want 1 remote for all of the devices in the room. If I can't do it with 1 then I want as few as is physically possible.
    7 RCA DVR80's Hacked (All with 250GB each)
    2 HR10-250's Hacked (Both with 400GB)
    2 HR20-100's Stock

You can do the same thing with a $15 JP1 capable remote and a JP1 cable, if you are willing to program the remote yourself.

IIRC the instructions for setting up discrete remote codes are on the Tivo itself! Its on one of the help screens.

Any TiVo that in the System information screen will be a precarious state.
    If is sees the "left arrow" code from a different code set, it will become the new code set. (I have not tested right arrow)

This usually happen when I look at the sysinfo on one TiVo and someone in the other room hits the left arrow while watching another tivo. It occurred two times (not on same day) before I figured out what was happening.

Red Dog

flagmaster Guest
    Here is good one to take it to the next level...

Is there a discreet ir code for OFF or Standby.

I know about the SB0 SB1 SB2....blah blah blah, but there is a small problem with these codes..

Rather then being a direct "OFF" command, they act more like a toggle. If the tivo is already in standby off mode and it sees this code, it turns it on!

I'm trying to set up a full system off macro, and it would be sweet to have an ir code that will indeed shut it off----even if it already was off.

If you have a code that dose this, and have a way to post the hex dump of the ir code, please do.

Thanks